Problems at somtawin

Discussion on schools, colleges, universities, educational facilities, teaching, and learning resources for adults and children.
worried_parent
Novice
Novice

Problems at somtawin

Post by worried_parent »

I do not speak to many other parents so this is perhaps a way I can express my ideas and maybe get a feedback.

I am worried about my children's education, but nothing is being done. Parents that I speak to say nothing in public but gossip in private. I dont know if this is ok on this website but i would like to use this to talk to other parents if that is ok for the moderators.

At this time there are very few teachers left. There is no middle-grade teacher for maths, english or social, and science is now being taught by the grade 1-3 science teacher. Teachers seem unhappy and look very tired. I hear more teachers may leave soon, and where will that leave us? A school with no teachers cannot educate our children.

There were two teachers who came this semester but both went quickly, teaching nothing. I am told both were close personal friends of the head, but why did she get them if they are not reliable, and why has she not got anyone else in after 5 weeks?

Also, children are being left in classes unsupervised because of the problem. I think maybe they cannot get enough teachers in all classes so maybe this happens.

I dont want to make problems and somtawin has been a good school until now, but something must be done. Teachers I think cannot speak because of work permits, but parents can.
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

I intend to live forever - so far so good.
E-Dork
Suspended
Suspended

Post by E-Dork »

Unfortunatly this situation was always going to happen after the demise of Dr A and Khun W.....

I pulled my kids out of there almost a year ago because of the downward spiral the school has gone in. After taking so many steps forward under management with focus, knowhow and direction they have gone back to a lower standard than when I first put my kids in 6 years ago.

It has become a joke of a place to say the least, I saw an extra for international schools in the Bangkok post and read the list of schools at the back..... Harrows....St Andrews.......Regents.....'What's this.... I don't believe it...... How dare they!!!!" SOMTAWIN SCHOOL.
I think it's disgusting that a school which I've heard didn't even have fans at the beginning of term, has fillipino teachers teaching english spoken subjects and pays all the teachers a pittance has the down right cheek to put themselves in a list amongst some GENUINE schools.

Tsk...Tsk...Tsk. You should be ashamed of yourselves Somtawin School. These are kids lives you're playing with!!!
If it's within arms reach, there's nothing to worry about!!
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Though I'm no longer at the school, as the third longest running foreign teacher ever to have worked at Somtawin (4 years) I shall put my bit in.

The teachers at the school all work DAMN hard! If all is still the same they have 24 teaching hours a week plus plus plus. Marking of the books, lesson plans, teaching records, extra curricular ativities, line up, gate duty, club time etc.... this all adds up to one hell of a tiresome job! When I was working there I would try to add a few private classes on after school but was so shattered it was barely possible.
has fillipino teachers teaching english spoken subjects

If you go and speak to the said teachers you will find out that there English is fine. Would you rather a) a white Englishman with no background in teaching taught your child? or, b) someone with a slight accent, teaching experience and education in the relevant field taught your child? I know which one I'd rather have!

There is a particular teacher in the school (Primary) who has the credentials to be working in any of the top international schools in Thailand and is a huge asset to the school. It's just a case of holding on to these teachers with the pay they are recieving.

From what I know the teachers were given no annual pay rise this year, no bonus and no reduction of hours. My workload in my new school is about 25% of what I was doing at Somtawin and for more pay. After 3 months of work I had a teaching observation resulting in a 3000 baht pay rise. I am given recognition as a good teacher here and shown that I am wanted to be held onto for a while. In total I now earn DOUBLE of what I did at Somtawin and it feels like less work.

Teachers at Somtawin for the work they do should be on no less than 50,000 baht a month, either that or a big reduction in hours ( I do 14 a week in my day job! )

Somtawin has a much better education than the school I'm at now and probably many other schools for that, as long as they have the teachers. I've told some parents that, but they need to hold onto good teachers, they are of course the backbone of the school.

I ask 'a worried parent' and any other parents to rise up and fight for the teachers of Somtawin. Get them the pay that they so rightfully earn and the school will grow into a beautiful swan.

Yours,

Ex Teacher of Somtawin

P.S By the way I know you all read this (teachers of Somtawin) so hello, I hope you're all doing well and post back to let all know the score.

P.P.S Khun M*** you still owe me my last months pay!!! Surely you haven't forgotton me have you!!! :cry: :cry:
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

GLCQuantum wrote:
has fillipino teachers teaching english spoken subjects

If you go and speak to the said teachers you will find out that there English is fine. :
I just hope that you do not teach English classes! :cheers:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
alleykat
Professional
Professional

Post by alleykat »

You beat me to it by about 20 seconds Nereus, took the words right out of my mouth!
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

There are some people posting their comments on here who have said that there is a mistake in my post. Their comments have been taken on board and I have noticed that there is in fact a mistake as said by their comments. Now their comments about there being a mistake have been answered there should be no further comment from these people. That there has only been replies on this post concerning a typing mistake, it seems there is no info about the situation at Somtawin and their teachers.

Over there their teachers are there when there is a problem. You can speak to them over there if there is any issue.

Sorry for the mistake 'Oh Fussy Ones'

I was mainly a Science teacher anyway!!

Count the mistakes in this post. Winner gets a smartie.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Nereus and Alleycat,

You are well out of line. Have you ever listened to a Thai teacher teaching English? I know the phillipino teachers in the school. They're a damn sight more qualified than the so-called Farang teachers. We all talk about 'native English speakers'. The Phillipinos are 'native English speakers'.

Have you noticed in the UK that Phillipinos are taking over the hospitals etc. Reason being that they speak very good English but they are 'cheaper'!

I'd suggest that unless you have some evidence or convince the rest of us that you really know what you're talking about, then SHUT-UP.

I would put either or both of you in an English exam against these Phillipinos. I'd even put money on it. You would come out second best.

Rant over.

Do some research about this Christian, English speaking country.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

That also goes for E-Dork although I do agree with him that they should never have been listed as an 'International School'. That was not only incorrect but smacks of paying the BKK Post to get their name on there.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

HHTel wrote:Nereus and Alleycat,
You are well out of line. Have you ever listened to a Thai teacher teaching English? I know the phillipino teachers in the school. They're a damn sight more qualified than the so-called Farang teachers. We all talk about 'native English speakers'. The Phillipinos are 'native English speakers'.
Have you noticed in the UK that Phillipinos are taking over the hospitals etc. Reason being that they speak very good English but they are 'cheaper'!
I'd suggest that unless you have some evidence or convince the rest of us that you really know what you're talking about, then SHUT-UP.
I would put either or both of you in an English exam against these Phillipinos. I'd even put money on it. You would come out second best.
Rant over.
Oh well, we cannot argue with somebody that is so knowledgeable, can we. My late Father-in-law was Filipino, but I suppose that you already knew that? I guess you learnt everything from all the Thais that you put shite on in another post?

Suggest that you follow Jockeys advice, and go and have a beer.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

Please keep cool and give some useful information instead of fighting each other.
Is Somtawin running out of teachers was the question.
I intend to live forever - so far so good.
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

Challenge accepted

Set it up mate....their rules not mine.....you call the shots.

The gauntlet is down

end point....they speak and learn American English. Anachronistic spelling and grammar. Piss poor conversancy with the classics. Sod all knowledge of historical context or translation into modern contexts.

Mate Im serious...and that will be the test.

Sandman the mouthy pleb against Mr or Mrs Oh So Qualified Teacher at the Clown College.

Im Uni educated with a solid grammar/seminary school background in english literature, language and more to the point: contextual history.

Pit me against a yank....lets see who speaks the real mother tongue.

I refuse to believe any American educated Phillipino teacher at the Clownshoes College has a better knowledge or command of common English language than a UK 70s educated grammar school boy...

one week study on the nominated topic....independent "blind" marking.

how much you wanna bet? Im good for 10K each to a charity of the winners choosing.

so ....

Bear in mind Ive already pulled my lad out of this Clown College because he was censured by his teacher for asking "too many questions"....not being obstructive or disruptive....just asking WHY or HOW, or REALLY?

Now he goes to school in BKK.

I'll put my 10k on the table and sharpen my pencil in anticipation.....

:cheers:
"Science flew men to the moon. Religion flew men into buildings."

"To sin by silence makes cowards of men."
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Strange, I don't remember challenging you, Sandman!!!
alleykat
Professional
Professional

Post by alleykat »

Nereus and Alleycat,

Rant over.

Challenge accepted here also.

HH Tel, you have no right to tell me to shut up on this issue. I have worked at 4 different schools in Thailand in the past. Three out of these four schools had Filipina/Filipino teachers. I don't believe that they are good teachers, most of them teach by rote, a lot of them have fake degrees, and not many of them speak English using the correct grammar.
I would happily compete in an English test with any person from the Phillipines. They are NOT native English speakers. Their native language is Tagalog.

You shutup HHTel, actually shut the f___ up! You're a blowoff!
Lev
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lev »

This thread has been locked for excessive flaming, participants have ignored warnings.

We welcome civilized discussions on the issues and topic here providing it does not degenerate into a slanging match.