Car Breakers?

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
HHcolin
Amateur
Amateur

Car Breakers?

Post by HHcolin »

Hi,
Does anybody know of any car breakers or dismantlers on shops that sell used car parts in the Hua Hin or Cha Am area,
I've searched online without success.
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Re: Car Breakers?

Post by laphanphon »

It seems 'junk yards' aren't a big thing here. Possibly because inexpensive clone body parts are readily available.

Used mechanical parts, not too sure of, but since nothing goes to waste here, thinking most keep for later re-cycling into theirs or someone they know's next vehicle.

I know in the USA, I rarely junked a car except for scrap weight, after stripped of anything I thought might come in handy, for myself or someone else.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

I think there is a place on the east side of Petchkasem Rd between Thalang and Cha Am. I will be going that way in a couple of days and will check.

You wont find places like that online.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

The Thais call these places, Chiang Kong. (เขียงกง). I cannot find a literal translation for this, but this is where the locals go to find a bonnet lid, or replacement engine, etc all secondhand. you may have to be specific about your car make as some of them do Japanese cars only, others specific Euro makes.
There is usually a big signboard near the road, and many clustered shops each with their own 'spares'.
Even if you can find where you are, there will be little, if no choice. Best to come into Bangkok.
Many places around Worachak Road have stuff like this.
What are you specifically looking for, and what brand?
วินเชนท์
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

^^ This wikipedia entry explains the name: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sieng_Kong.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

There is some kind of car scrap yard over the other side of the bypass on the Pulau-U road, I don't know what happens there but there are old wrecks stacked up.
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

There are a few places on the Pala u Rd on the R going out of town. Just over the small bridge at about 8 km from the centre. There is also one on the R going North on the Klong Rd.
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Hhinner, thanks for that little Wiki nugget of information. Goes to show, if you look hard enough, the internet is now the repository of most answers.
I tend to roam around the Klong Thom/ Ban Moh area where the electrical/ electronic goodies tend to be. My car, though getting on, is still (mostly) stealership serviced.
Have a good weekend :)
วินเชนท์
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

There are also car breakers/second hand supply yards on bypass road, going north towards Cha Am and south towards Pranburi, both from Pala U road.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
HHcolin
Amateur
Amateur

Post by HHcolin »

Hi,
Thanks for the help but is it possible to be a bit more specific as to the location of these places as i have only been here a couple of weeks and don't know my way around to well. I did have a ride out down the Pala u road (if thats the 3218) with no luck.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Nereus wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:10 pm I think there is a place on the east side of Petchkasem Rd between Thalang and Cha Am. I will be going that way in a couple of days and will check. You wont find places like that online.
Depends a bit on what in particular you are looking for as well. The above place is 5 or 6 Kms south of Thalang on east side of the road, and apperas to have a huge range of body parts, but I did not go inside, so no idea what else may be there.

At the left turn at the start of the Pal-u Rd from town, take your life in your hands and turn right, that is the Klong Rd., and all of the shops are on the right side of the divided road, so you will need to go a couple of Kms and do a U turn.
There are a couple of places along there.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Thalang? Or Tha Yang?
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

hhinner wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:51 pm Thalang? Or Tha Yang?
Tha Yang I guess!
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

HHcolin wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:05 pm Hi,
Thanks for the help but is it possible to be a bit more specific as to the location of these places as i have only been here a couple of weeks and don't know my way around to well. I did have a ride out down the Pala u road (if thats the 3218) with no luck.
If you go out of town on the Pa U Road, that is the road with Big C and the elephant village, carry on some 7km and you get to a sharpish right hand bend just after there is a car yard on the right. If you carry on further along Pala U road you come to the big round about, take the right turn and drive towards Cha Am, on the right is a car yard, not sure how far along a fair way tho.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
HHcolin
Amateur
Amateur

Post by HHcolin »

Thanks for the extra information on the location of these places, i will be checking them out. Thanks a lot!!