Car Tyres

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Jim M
Novice
Novice

Car Tyres

Post by Jim M »

Hi All

I hope your all well, I'm hoping to pick the brains of some of the more experienced residents about the exciting topic of purchasing car tyres. I need to buy 4 new tyres for my car which is Honda Citi. I've been quoted 20k baht which I think is very expensive. Is this the going rate or does anyone know a reputable dealer where I won't be fleeced?

Thanks in advance for your help. :thumb:

Jim
IHF

tyres

Post by IHF »

price will depend on the make of tire, some places do 5 for the price of 4. mitchilin are quite good close to index.

buyer beware.
INTERNATIONAL HUMANITY FOUNDATION, We provide education assistance, orphanages, emergency relief, medical clinics, and farming assistance for some of the world's poorest people in Indonesia, Kenya, and Thailand. www.ihfonline.org,
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

What is the tyre width, aspect ratio and rim size?

For a Honda city I think you'd be running a 15" rim size, probably 185 X 60mm with a standard performing tyre, so you'd be looking at about 2000++ baht per tyre.

For what it's worth, I just changed all four on my car, 205 X 50 on 16" rims with an ultra-high performance (rated to 300+ kmh) at a discounted rate of 3500 baht per tyre for an imported Japanese brand. (I'm a regular customer)

Michelin are locally made, they're actually not bad. Don't touch Goodyear or Bridgestone (unless the Bridgestone is one of the performance rated ones).

I was very happy with Yokohama, now have Nitto as it was the only brand I could get with the performance rating.

For what it's worth, I got the tyres at Wongwien 22 in Bangkok, where tyre prices are at least 20% cheaper than anywhere else and you get 'new' tyres, not something that has been sitting on the shelf for a year or so.

For 20,000 baht you could drive to Bangkok, get a decent hotel and grub, get the tyres changed and still have enough for a beer once back in HH.
วินเชนท์
Jim M
Novice
Novice

Post by Jim M »

Thanks for the advice guys I did think that 20k baht was way too expensive considering I just want bog standard new tyres and not being much of a petrol head I didn't want to be taken for a ride. No pun intended. :) 3

Jim