The SUV Thread

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Buying a SUV?

Post by Dannie Boy »

prcscct wrote:^I finally got the same, but in grey which I had to wait for, but was able to lock in the price before the tax went up. What a big difference in so many categories as compared to my previous 2009 Pajero Sport. No pimping this one (much). I'm not even going to change the tires/wheels as they look and ride fine. 18" on it and can go up to 21" per the salesman if you want. The smaller diesel engine is a dream as compared to the knocking, rattling 3.2L that the old one had. Very pleased so far, fingers crossed>. Pete :cheers:
I'm sure the smile will last a long time Pete, it's now nearly 5 months that I've had mine and whilst I don't do many long journeys, it drives so much better than the old model (although mine was the 2.5l diesel). I get at least an additional 100 km on a tankful of diesel compared to the old one and the comfort factor makes it a joy - with my favourite music plugged into the USB port. :cheers:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Something new on the market. Doesn't look bad at all and BIG for Thailand. All I know about Ssangyong is that they used to own/operate a maritime container factory in Amata industrial estate Chonburi back in the 80's. No idea about their expertise with auto manufacture. Pete :cheers:

All-new SsangYong Rexton revealed for 2017

http://www.bangkokpost.com/auto/news/12 ... d-for-2017 (Photos)
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

prcscct wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:27 am Something new on the market. Doesn't look bad at all and BIG for Thailand. All I know about Ssangyong is that they used to own/operate a maritime container factory in Amata industrial estate Chonburi back in the 80's. No idea about their expertise with auto manufacture. Pete :cheers:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/auto/news/12 ... d-for-2017 (Photos)
Visually it looks pretty good Pete, but if it's imported rather than built in Thailand it will face a serious price disadvantage which will limit its appeal against the competition :cheers:
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

They have been on the market for many years in Australia. As noted in the article the diesel version is from Mercedes. Friends had one and the engine was as to be expected, but the auto transmission blew up at a low mileage, and by all reports it was a common fault. The new auto should be a great improvement.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

^^ I think the article said around 2 million, and I guess that isn't bad if it is indeed that much bigger inside compared to the 1.6 million competition. Pete
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

Nice and fancy touch to my Pajero Sport. The blue LED adds a nice touch when enter and exits the car. The illumination is bright enough to appear good even in strong sunlight.
Attachments
3.jpg
3.jpg (166.96 KiB) Viewed 1691 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (197.32 KiB) Viewed 1691 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (199.74 KiB) Viewed 1691 times
YNWA
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I got them as well when buying mine. Pete :cheers:

EDIT: A little bling is a good thing! :thumb:

12742796-Illustration-of-a-Car-Mascot-Giving-a-Thumbs-Up-Stock-Illustration-car-cartoon-clipart.jpg
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

Finally they are making this kind of chip for the Pajero Sport! I had the old type from the same company in my Toyota Fortuner and it was well worth it. No I'm excited to try this new type. This one gives more hp and torque increase than the old type I had on my Fortuner. It is like driving a new car! And with this chip I can control it from an app (only if purchasing the to top level chips).

https://www.racechip.com/shop/mitsubish ... 430nm.html

https://www.racechip.com/chip-tuning/racechip-gts.html
YNWA
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Now here is a "proper" SUV!
………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….
Bentley Bentayga V8 Diesel (2018) review

https://www.bangkokpost.com/auto/suv/14 ... 018-review

One of the world’s poshest SUVs has decided to burn oil – and it could arguably be the best option.

The Bentayga SUV is a crucial product for Bentley, one of the Britain’s top three luxury car marques.
One reason is quite the obvious. As the Bentayga showcases a body style for the market’s fastest-growing segment, it will be responsible for building up the brand’s sales to new levels.
In fact, practically all other makers have already joined the SUV bandwagon just for this particular aspect.

And while the second one may not represent significant ramifications to Bentley’s balance sheet, it does so for the brand itself.

The Bentayga is the first model from Crewe to be available with diesel power.
The interesting thing is that just over the two years the Bentayga has been on the market,
Bentley has already announced four engine variances: this V8-powered Diesel as tested here, the familiar 6.0-litre W12 range-topper and the pending V8 petrol and V6 plug-in hybrid.

True, that semi-electric alternative will eventually become the core-seller in Thailand when sales start later this year because it can enjoy lowest in car excise taxation.

But if 20 million baht is peanuts for you, there’s a very good reason to consider the Bentayga in diesel form because it isn’t just one of those clattering units you can find in the super-ubiquitous pickup.

Having first appeared in the Audi SQ7 TDI, the 435hp 4.0-litre V8 has two twin-scroll turbochargers and an electric compressor supported by a 48V mild hybrid system.

The presence of the third type of forced induction is why Bentley is claiming an elimination in turbo lag, thus the maximum grunt of 900Nm being achieved at 1,000rpm.(Pete, this is one of the spinoffs from F1 cars)

And after a spin with the Bentayga Diesel on Thai roads, it appears that claim is true. The motor feels alive and responsive at all times, be it from the lights or when overtaking that lorry in front of you.

Tractability from this oil-burning V8 is almost as instantaneous as in a full-electric drivetrain and remains sumptuous to ridiculously high speeds, although the vehicle’s wind-buffeting SUV shape is what will probably make you lift off the throttle way before you reach the claimed top speed.

Another great thing about it is that you’d hardly think it’s a diesel. The eight-potter is refined from standstill and is capable of revving to 5,000rpm. Yes, it’s one of those state-of-the-art diesels that deserves to live on, despite the negative headlines you’ve been reading about diesel in general.

The Bentayga’s 48V system is also responsible for the vehicle’s electronic active roll control, which should sound useful for a shebang tipping the scales at nearly 2.5 tonnes.

Once again, such a merit can be felt in real-world driving. You don’t really feel much roll or weight transfer happening around the body in demanding driving conditions. In simpler terms, the Bentayga’s ride is remarkably flat for an SUV of this size.

Perhaps the only time you might find some excessive vertical motions of the body is when traversing over expansion joints on toll roads.

But switch away from Comfort of the drive selector and the ride improves. Around town, the Bentayga’s ride is generally absorbent and quiet.
Likewise, the Bentayga handles nicely with additional thanks going to a steering that’s well-tailored for weight and directness.

So don’t let the Bentayga’s shape belie its driving manners. This is a remarkably good SUV to drive, not to mention the additional driving modes available for off-roading.

Ah, that shape. Ever since the Bentayga has been previewed in concept form, people were saying its design was blunderous. That might still be the case today, but it still looks like a proper Bentley with those square-ish rear lamps, four circular head lights and unmistakable grille.

Key elements that give away the Diesel’s identity are the side badges and an exhaust made to look like four pipes.

Jump inside the Bentayga and the Bentley tradition continues. Although some instrumentation are shared with Audis (like the column stalks), the cabin is filled with extra-opulent materials and is quite a feast on the eyes. Yes, it feels expensive just like its price tag.

The driving position is also near-perfect. It feels very natural behind the wheel and the multi-way adjustable seats are not only comfortable for the driver but also for the remaining three occupants.

Like the Range Rover Autobiography, the Bentayga is being pitched as an SUV with 2+2 seating to attract chauffeur-driven owners. This is why the rear seats can’t fold down in any manner to increase luggage space.

Even so, the boot in its normal form is already capacious. You’d probably just have to understand its Thai four-seat spec for not having the genuine versatility of an SUV.

We have yet to sample the other engine variances, but it’s quite safe to assume that the Bentayga is at its best with a diesel. Not only do such motors cope well with bulky SUVs, but this particular one is quite a gem in delivering the necessary requirements in performance terms.

But we can’t blame you for holding the cash for the plug-in hybrid version, which is equally powerful as this Diesel, has partial all-electric driving mode and will cost considerably less in Thai showrooms (excise tax falls from 40% down to no more than 10%). The Cayenne was the first to get this hybrid.

But, as mentioned earlier, the Bentayga Diesel could possibly be the one to go for if money is no object. Bluntly put, it’s a very nice fit.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I saw a new Tesla X the other day in Europe and that is a good looking SUV if you have that kind of money to spend on cars, as well as ridiculous acceleration:
https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/modelx
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Suzuki reveals all-new Jimny for 2019

https://www.bangkokpost.com/auto/news/1 ... y-for-2019

2813814.jpg
2813814.jpg (141.22 KiB) Viewed 1014 times
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

And of course there is the new Nissan Terra due later this year which has received a good reception in the Philippines. It looks like it will be slightly different here (better) but initial reports still give the Ford Everest the top spot in comparisons. Might be worth considering if you are in the market for a new SUV.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Gregjam wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:23 am And of course there is the new Nissan Terra due later this year which has received a good reception in the Philippines. It looks like it will be slightly different here (better) but initial reports still give the Ford Everest the top spot in comparisons. Might be worth considering if you are in the market for a new SUV.
Appears to be a Nissan X-trail body on a diesel driven pickup frame.

Nissan X-Trail is an excellent SUV
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

StevePIraq wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:59 pm
Gregjam wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:23 am And of course there is the new Nissan Terra due later this year which has received a good reception in the Philippines. It looks like it will be slightly different here (better) but initial reports still give the Ford Everest the top spot in comparisons. Might be worth considering if you are in the market for a new SUV.
Appears to be a Nissan X-trail body on a diesel driven pickup frame.

Nissan X-Trail is an excellent SUV
They may not be like chalk and cheese, but more like mild and mature cheddar
https://www.suvdrive.com/comparison/nis ... terra-2018
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

Luvin this Ford Bronco after watching Rampage last night...

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2017/06/22/ ... mpage.html

1498151317364.jpg
1498151317364.jpg (49.91 KiB) Viewed 902 times