The SUV Thread

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Buying a SUV?

Post by Henry 14th »

We got a CRV last year, after looking at all the other SUV options the CRV was more suited to our taste.

Really comfortable to drive, the feel of the interior is that of a luxury machine. We are very happy with it.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Buying a SUV?

Post by StevePIraq »

There is also the following:
Mazda MX-5 nice but I just don't know I had a test drive and there was just something I didn't like, not based on a pick up.
Nissan X-Trail, I have just bought a 2.5 X-Trail and its brill, got all the gadgets one would expect, exceptional ride and comfort, 7 seat with the best 3rd row folding seats available they go totally flat with the boot, not based on a pick up.

You really have to drive them all to determine what you like best. I don't believe there any bad ones out there. One important thing to decide is if you want dirty diesel or petrol. I would never touch diesel.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I read that there's a new Pajero Sport coming out on the 1st August - if I was buying I would at least test drive the two new suv's and see how they compare to a CRV and probably a Nissan X-Trail.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Nissan also planning a Hybrid X Trail only thing is the cost is going higher and higher
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
musungu
Professional
Professional

Post by musungu »

Thanks Terry for that info. I am not at all keen on 7seats so the CRV is top of the looking list. I also have a Honda now and agree the service in Hua Hin is truly excellent.I shall also look at the Mitsubishi Shogun as their new model is being released 1st August
Prior Planning & Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

musungu wrote:Thanks Terry for that info. I am not at all keen on 7seats so the CRV is top of the looking list. I also have a Honda now and agree the service in Hua Hin is truly excellent.I shall also look at the Mitsubishi Shogun as their new model is being released 1st August
it's a Pajero Sport, not a Shogun.
musungu
Professional
Professional

Post by musungu »

Thanks Danny I was just about to correct it. it actually is a good looker - what is the Mitsubishi service like in Hua Hin.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

musungu wrote:Thanks Danny I was just about to correct it. it actually is a good looker - what is the Mitsubishi service like in Hua Hin.
I've had a Pajero Sport for coming on 4 years and whilst not perfect, I'm happy with it. I've not seen the new model yet, but the recent update on the old model added a number of safety improvements such as rear discs and ABS as well as a number of entertainment enhancements, so I assume the new model will build on this, plus hopefully more.

I used to have the servicing done in HH and never had a problem, but now that I live near Cha Am, I get the servicing done at the new centre on the HH side of Cha Am, which is probably even better and they also include a free car wash.

Interested to hear what you think of the Pajero after a test drive. :cheers:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Some big changes it appears.

2015 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport launched

Latest generation of SUV based on Triton gets radical looks, sumptuous interior and new eight-speed automatic transmission.......

http://www.bangkokpost.com/auto/news/64 ... t-launched
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

prcscct wrote:Some big changes it appears.

2015 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport launched

Latest generation of SUV based on Triton gets radical looks, sumptuous interior and new eight-speed automatic transmission.......

http://www.bangkokpost.com/auto/news/64 ... t-launched
A number of safety enhancements as well - there are a number of videos on YouTube that demonstrate the safety enhancements much better than I can describe - now all I need is to find 700k baht to trade in my existing Pajero for a new one!!
musungu
Professional
Professional

Post by musungu »

It seems the norm that MPG ( miles per gallon) is no longer quoted by manufacturers - how does the Pajero compare with others now that they are claiming a 20% improvement?
The Pajero is still based upon their Triton pick-up so CRV followers will possibly shy away. I do not want a 7 seater unless tha two back seats fold and HIDE away - we both play golf and need room for our clubs!! - but I like what I see!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

musungu wrote:It seems the norm that MPG ( miles per gallon) is no longer quoted by manufacturers - how does the Pajero compare with others now that they are claiming a 20% improvement?
The Pajero is still based upon their Triton pick-up so CRV followers will possibly shy away. I do not want a 7 seater unless tha two back seats fold and HIDE away - we both play golf and need room for our clubs!! - but I like what I see!
If I fill my Pajero up and run it till the reserve light comes on, I get about 650 Km's of mainly local travel, so would expect that to increase to 750+ in the new model - I doubt that others can match that. With the rear seats folded, you should have no problem getting two sets of golf clubs in the rear.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

The car has not been released yet, so there are no final specs available, or road tests. The engine ( a 2.4L MIVEC(2) turbo diesel ) is the latest development of this series, combined with a new 8 speed auto, so it is not unrealistic to expect a 17% improvement in fuel consumption compared to the current model.

http://www.streetinsider.com/Press+Rele ... 71303.html
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Awu

Post by Awu »

They have made a show room for the new Pajero at Market Village and I was there yesterday and looked at it.
It's really a new modell and it is quite nice but the rear end is actually a bit ugly, but I have seen pics with rear wing and that improves the look a lot.
Very comfy to sit in and the rear seats hides nice in the floor so 2 golf bags is no problem.
I have consider a lot what car to buy and it feels as I have decide to go for the new Pajero, most value for money compared to similar cars, 212.000 baht cheaper then Fortuner for topmodel and more nice features.

The only concern I have is about the Mitsu service in Hua Hin..
Some say Pranburi is ok, anyone experienced?

PS!
Neither Pajero or Fortuner is available for test drive yet, only for show and both only have the cheapest model for show :cry:
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

I also looked and as my wife also uses the vehicle I eventually chose the CRV because the Pajero still has the 'Truck" chassis and the CRV is much easier to park and take a tight turn at 'U' turns. Otherwise I liked it a lot.
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.