Buying a mountain bike

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
dvolante9

Buying a mountain bike

Post by dvolante9 »

Hello all, I am looking to buy a mountain bike and was wondering if anyone knew how much a decent one sells for? Also I am 6'4" and am wondering if they have any for my height?
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Re: Buying a Bike

Post by Gregjam »

I am sure you will be able to buy one for your size as there are a number of shops. Price will depend on where you go. Hua Hin is probably the most expensive. Tha Yang I understand is cheaper but the people who run the shop in Pranburi also have a shop in Tha Yang and prices are less than Hua Hin. Obviously a really good one is expensive but I think you can get a reasonable one for between ten and twenty thousand baht. There are others here who will have a better idea. Lots of shops around and more information if you search the forum. My novice friendly bike by 'Alton' was 13.5k from Pranburi. As usual, haggling will affect the price.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

There's quite a good cycle shop in between HH and Cha Am, it's about 15kms out from HH on the LHS. The people that run it are both very knowledgable and helpful and they have bikes in all price ranges - can't remember the name, but it's the only one in the area and about 3-4 km's before you get to Thai Watsadu.
dvolante9

Post by dvolante9 »

10-20k :shock: when I was in China a good quality bike was only around 3000 baht...I will have a look around at the shops you guys mentioned thank you very much for the assistance!
blue05
Guru
Guru

Post by blue05 »

dvolante9 wrote:10-20k :shock: when I was in China a good quality bike was only around 3000 baht...I will have a look around at the shops you guys mentioned thank you very much for the assistance!
3k is a tesco bike tat will fall apart
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

dvolante9 wrote:10-20k :shock: when I was in China a good quality bike was only around 3000 baht...I will have a look around at the shops you guys mentioned thank you very much for the assistance!
You can get a half decent bike at the shop I mentioned for 7-8000 baht, but a good one will be double and more.
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

Perhaps if you are more specific about what you mean by decent you will get a better idea. Gearsets, hard or soft tail, well known or other manufacturer etc. As I said, mine is a Korean but with Shimano gearset (two levers each side, one to go up, one to change down), disc brakes, sturdy frame (I am 'well built'), quick release wheels, hard tail and suspension front. I am not into the cycling thing as much as some others as displayed by my description and have avoided mentioning too many shops. The one Dannie Boy mentions is good as he says and others are mentioned in other threads, a search will help you there.
T and D Bikes
Amateur
Amateur

Post by T and D Bikes »

Hello. I am selling some of my Trek mountain bikes. You can come to my shop and look. 69 Naebkehardt Road.
They are in good condition , about 2 year old and will be less than half new price. You can call before you come. 0899141636.

Tui.
BOZ
Professional
Professional

Post by BOZ »

TUI what model Treks do you have for sale??? Frame size??? Thanks!!
Boz

Life is short, live it to the fullest!!!
T and D Bikes
Amateur
Amateur

Re: Buying a mountain bike

Post by T and D Bikes »

I have Trek mountain bikes model 3900 Disc brake 24 gear sizes, 16" ( 41cm ) + 19.5" ( 49.5cm )

Trek Navigator 2 18" ( 46cm ) hybrid. A Ladies Navigator 2 16.5" 42cm hybrid 24 gear.
A ladies Schwinn town bike 14" 7 gear. ( 1000 baht )
A Giant mountain bike 19" 24 gear.
Also a smaller bike suitable for young person, 6 gear. ( 500 baht )

69 Naebkehardt Road. call 0899141636

Tui.