speed bumps

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

speed bumps

Post by oakdale160 »

It seems that the number of speed bumps have doubled over the last year. On some short stretch of road they can be less than 100m apart. I wonder who decides where they should be placed, I suspect some locals may wish to slow the traffic past their property and lay them down 'privately' Riding a m/bike with a passenger is very uncomfortable and hard on the suspension. The ironic thing is that it does not slow down the real speed merchants, who 'fly' them with no concern.
pdm3547
Professional
Professional

Re: speed bumps

Post by pdm3547 »

The general condition of roads should be enough to keep speeds down.

(He says, having gone flying off his scooter last night....)
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

It's a conspiracy by the automobile suspension manufacturers, I say! :D
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Grunter

Post by Grunter »

Yeah they just recently added new speed bumps up Soi 88.
All it has done for the locals is get them young guys airborne as they still do a zillion miles an hour down the street

May i add that the Soi certainly does not need any more bumps or obstructions in that stretch of road as it is
pdm3547
Professional
Professional

Post by pdm3547 »

Correct. That's where I came off, just past the courthouse
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

The speed bumps you see in Thailand were outlawed in Europe many years ago as they were seen as a major cause of accidents. Yes, the locals build them with no thought to the consequences. We all know that if you approach these as speed, then your suspension negates the reason for them being there. They should be longer and have clear markings to warn drivers. The problem in Thailand is that they go up overnight in black tarmac which can't be seen at night (difficult enough in the daytime). Another example of TIT (no thought and no responsibility)Image

But we get used to the inane antics of the Thai authorities.
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Post by centermid7 »

^ Amen to that!

I'd give a lot to have them all painted and with some real "road marking" type of paint that is going to stay on for a good long while. Those that they do paint the stuff is worn off inside a week.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

One of the good things about the forum is that you can rant about things that cannot be changed. Today, Im riding my m'bike, I go over the 23rd speed bump of the day and my back tire goes flat. Big tear in tire, not from that one but from the hundreds that it has had to pass over. Its a bitch AND they only makes people who travel at modest speeds slow down--the crazies all FLY them.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

When I purchased my new SUV recently the salesman was exceptionally pleased to show how you can drive fast over the humps without hardly feeling a thing. And he was right. TIT nothing will change except more humps will be installed.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Post by centermid7 »

^ in this Land of Smiles, you can't have too many humps!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Well, I don't know if I'm just driving on the right roads, but many speed bumps around town are disappearing e.g. the East end of Soi 94.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I hope that's the case as there are far too many of them. It may be a crackdown by the Tessabahn in removing all the illegal ones. That should cut the number by half. I think I've mentioned before that you can report a bump constructed by locals, i.e. illegal, and the Tessabahn will remove them and charge the culprits (if known). I'm in favour of speed bumps in the right places, but not these narrow mounds of tarmac that ground your bike when going over them. They should be wide as in the UK and painted accordingly.
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Post by centermid7 »

I have noticed the removal of several in the area where I live and the construction of something more akin to what a speed bump should be. Alas, the paint job is always crap.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Speed bumps can have a minimum distance of 150 meters between them on public roads; private developments, however, are not subject to this minimum and can have them 10 meters apart if they want to as the tessabahn have no jurisdiction on these roads.
วินเชนท์