Dash Cam Can Really Save You Cash Cam

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
buksida

Re: Dash Cam Can Really Save You Cash Cam

Post by buksida »

Don't disagree with you - just stating that the truck driver deserved to be pulled and fined.

Shame they dont have a points system for licenses here - but then that would require drivers to actually have a license in the first place!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

If a cop takes your licence away, then he must issue you with a ticket. Never give over your licence unless you get a ticket/receipt for it. Then you would report to the statiion they are from to reclaim your licence and pay your fine and/or have penalty points entered. Other than that, report the cop by any means of ID you can glean. It's worked for me.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

"Shame they dont have a points system for licenses here"

They do.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

"This is graduated depending upon severity of the offence with a point assignment between 10 and 40 points. If 60 points are given, a driving ban of 90 days is enforced. Drivers who receive the ban twice or more in the same year with the same offences, must participate in driver training."

Just needs enforcing!!!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

HHTel wrote:If a cop takes your licence away, then he must issue you with a ticket. Never give over your licence unless you get a ticket/receipt for it. Then you would report to the statiion they are from to reclaim your licence and pay your fine and/or have penalty points entered. Other than that, report the cop by any means of ID you can glean. It's worked for me.
Yes, this happend(ish), but I'm on a toll road - it is an offence to proceed without my licence. If I do proceed, I'm a foreigner, being framed for an offence I didn't commit. The chances of my SatNav taking me the same route on the way home, and more importantly me recognising where I hadn't committed the crime would be highly unlikely.

As I've said, I will avoid the toll roads of Bangkok as much as I can in future. There are too many highwaymen at large on those roads.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

"it is an offence to proceed without my licence."

Unless you have a document stating that the police are in possession of it. i.e. a ticket/receipt
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I don't think I'd like to take that chance. This is one cash cow that will avoid Bangkok's toll roads whenever possible in future. If I have no chance of avoiding them, I will not hand over my licence to them again - they can take me to the station to sort it there and then.

My dash cam will be on if I do have to use those roads, and they can then explain to me what my offence was on a screen.

Crazy thing is, I will hand over cash with no argument because I accept resistance is futile, but I won't give my licence to Dick Turpin again.

Points 41; Position 18
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I'll tell you what the common 'scam' by the cops at toll booths is. When you approach the booth, the lanes are marked. The solid lines often extend further than they need to. To cross a solid line to another booth is an offence and the viewing cop is watching for just that. If you're stuck in a queue for a booth and the adjacent one is not so busy, then don't cross a solid line to get there.

I was stopped that way a long time ago and since then policeman friends have told me that cops who are assigned to tollways use that offence all the time. They will either get cash in their pocket or even if it's done at the police station in the correct manner, they still get a large percentage of the fine.
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

Bought my dash-cam from Pantip Plaza on Saturday, very excited to use it and see if it makes any difference to Police behaviour when I drive up to Swampy on Thursday to pick-up my wife and daughter.

I would venture to suggest that it also moderates the driving behaviour of the person using it, too, as you are aware that if something does happen and you were in the wrong, you'd be banged-to-rights.

I had a fascinating (and just short enough) discussion with a seat companion during a Euro-hop who was a risk assesor for a financial company. The way we see risk is apparently all wrong. People who wear cycle helmets are more likely to have an accident as they see themselves as 'safer' and are, therefore, more reckless. Jaywalkers are less likely to have an accident than those who use an approved crossing because they are significantly more aware of the traffic and not just putting blind trust in the little green man saying it's safe to cross.
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote:Maybe it was dangerous - I couldn't understand the words, but why confiscate the licence? If I'm wrong, truly or imaginary, I will pay the penalty - I know resistance is futile, and the penalty is laughable compared to the UK. If the crime is that bad, stop people driving.

How many motorcyclists do we see stopped for driving without a helmet? They pay their tea money, and suddenly driving without a helmet is OK.

Why do they want my licence? I can only see it as another scam - phone their mates up the road, and its another fine for driving without a licence. No hint of how to get the licence back either.......... well, that's not true - I was told to report to the same spot on the way home - how the hell would I find that? How would they know when I was coming? We were on a tollway, so not exactly a lot of parking etc., etc. Just a way to make people to offer money to sort the problem, rather than them getting caught asking for tea money.
I've only once been stopped by the BIB and that was at least 12 years ago for not wearing a helmet. The guys that stopped me were not interested in tea money, they wanted my licence and told me I'd have to go to the main police station, pay my fine (200 baht) and then come back with a receipt and get my licence back. At the time I had no idea where the police station was (it wasn't where it is now),the whole thing took me best part of 2 hours to resolve. It wasn't the fine that made me now always wear a helmet (although I now realise it's much safer), but all the faffing around (you'll understand that phrase BB) over a couple of hundred baht.
ste860
Deceased
Deceased

Post by ste860 »

seriously i must drive on the tollways 2-3 times a month and never have any issues at all ,infct i cant remember the last time i was even fined/tea money call it what you want ,if im stopped i try to be polite and always have my licence with me , plus there is seldom a thai with me
Last edited by ste860 on Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Big Boy wrote:This is one cash cow that will avoid Bangkok's toll roads whenever possible in future. If I have no chance of avoiding them, I will not hand over my licence to them again - they can take me to the station to sort it there and then.
One Policeman told me that they don`t like like blue Ford Rangers. :shock: :rasta:

How are you going to not hand your licence over for them to look at if asked? I suspect that you may end up worse off trying that one.
I agree with you that most of them are just trying it on for a hand out, and will probably back off if you start to argue about it when you know you have done nothing wrong.

I also use the tollways regulary in Bangkok, and have never been stopped for any reason, justified or not. The only time I had my licence taken from me was when driving my daughters car on the way to the DLT with an expired rego. I did not know it was expired, as like many other things here, the month is written in Thai, in place of the number of the month. She was with me and the car is in her name, but I was the idiot driving it!
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Nereus wrote:How are you going to not hand your licence over for them to look at if asked? I suspect that you may end up worse off trying that one.
How do those without a licence manage? A bit of tea money must be easier than having your licence confiscated.

Points 41; Position 18
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

"How are you going to not hand your licence over for them to look at if asked".
Step 1: Place hand on licence.

Step 2: Hold it up for policeman to see information.

Step 3: Don't hand licence to policeman while performing steps 1 and 2.
Happychappy
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Happychappy »

Can anyone recommend anywhere that installs the dashcams (front and back) so they are neatly hard-wired ? If so do they supply the cams or should I buy from UK and bring over when I come ?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk