What is the real reason you wear a seatbelt?

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

What is the real reason you wear a seatbelt?

Post by Gregjam »

There are lots of reasons for wearing a seatbelt with the commonly quoted ones being personal safety, legal requirement or have just got into the habit. The latter will apply to many but is this really true. I thought I was part of the latter group but my new truck has made me think again. It is modern, has lots of safety aids such as ABS, HDC, Airbags and a raft of acronyms but unlike my little Vios it does not have that annoying seatbelt warning beeper. I am not one of those people who connect the belt before they get into the car and consciously avoid using the belt but have noticed that on occasion and more often on short trips I forget to belt up.
It comes as a surprise that this safety feature is not standard but also that I am not as safety conscious as I thought I was.
I am guessing that I am not alone in this.
Big Boy

Re: What is the real reason you wear a seatbelt?

Post by Big Boy »

Initially I started wearing one because it was law. However, I don't feel comfortable without one these days - it just doesn't feel right.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
brianks
Guru
Guru

Post by brianks »

I started wearing one back in the late 50's after I saw a TV program showing that if you wore a belt you would be much more likely to survive any type of crash. That was all I needed to install one in my car at the time and have been wearing them every since. Don't care about air bags as the belt is the one thing that will do the most good.
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

Saved me twice.

Once from a near roll in 1970 and also when in Canada when my hire car got side-swiped by a runaway Mac truck.

Considering the moronic driving here in Thailand, wearing a seat belt is a no-brainer.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Terry wrote:Considering the moronic driving here in Thailand, wearing a seat belt is a no-brainer.
Yet how many times do taxi drivers try to ridicule you when you wear one in their cab? :?
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Big Boy wrote:Initially I started wearing one because it was law. However, I don't feel comfortable without one these days - it just doesn't feel right.
I agree. Been doing it for so long it feels strange when it's not on. Same as when flying as I always leave that on loose too.

Note: My Pajero Sport came without any warning buzzers of any kind...for anything! Don't know if a factory mistake or Mitsu simply doesn't install warning buzzers? I have a "door open" light which I guess is good as you fall out the door from not having your seat belt on. :shock: :duck: Pete :cheers:
Last edited by PeteC on Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Seatbelts were made compulsory in Thailand around the early 80's but most people didn't use them. I remember an anecdote where a safety-conscious guy with a nice clean shirt decided to use a taxi and actually used the seatbelt. He emerged at the other end with a nice diagonal stripe across his once pristine shirt...
วินเชนท์
buksida

Post by buksida »

Survived what would have been a fatal car crash here many years ago because I had a belt on - always wear it now.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Back to topic :)

Seatbelts are one of the most useful passive safety devices, there is no excuse not to use them, reminder or not. (Though I do sometimes frown at the regulation in Singapore where it is mandatory to use the rear seatbelts as well)

Active safety devices, on the other hand, can be downright dangerous (many airbags on a lot of cars are way over twelve years old and have been known to deploy without warning) and can lull the driver into a false sense of security (ABS, EBD etc).

My radar detector picked up a new Mazda at least ten car lengths behind the car (it's something they call lane-change detection and uses active radar built into the wing mirrors - and you thought your cell phone was zapping your brain..)

But I digress...
วินเชนท์
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

I always wear one after some cop friends started. Been in a couple good crashes over the years and glad I was wearing it
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
mudcat
Amateur
Amateur

Post by mudcat »

My father paid the extra US$50 to have front seat belts installed on a 1963 VW and I never stopped using them. Like many here I often look in vain for seatbelts in Thai vehicles both public and private. It is a never ending struggle to get Thai passengers to buckle up in my 7-seat MPV even though passenger safety was my over riding concern in my vehicle choice having followed too many filled to the brimThai pickups.

Haven't had an accident for years, but track time with the Alfa club and air turbulance has convinved me of the virtue of staying put.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

I shudder to think how we used to drive years ago without a thought of any restraint. I put lap belts in the first 1960 Land Rover that I had, and used to get ridiculed about them!
Now, I cannot drive without a seatbelt, and if I happen to have to use a taxi I am on edge the whole of the time.

What really p---es me off here is the endless school buses driving around without seat belts for the kids.
I believe there is a law requiring them, but it gets the usual Thai blank look! And while this attitude is tolerated no kids are going to grow up using them either. :cuss:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I wouldn't drive a car without seat belts now but back in the nineties I did have a 1952 Austin for a couple of years that didn't have them. At that time in the UK you didn't have to retrofit classic cars with them but I don't know if that is still the case.
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

A good point by prcscct. Perhaps a door that is not shut properly is a threat to others be they pedestrians or other road users while the seatbelt is personal protection. Shows which item takes precedence. Is it just here that the truck type vehicles do not have the alarm fitted.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Our Honda CRV had an alarm and light. My previous Toyota Tiger pick up I actually forget but I don't recall ever hearing any beeping if I didn't have it on. It did have a red dash warning light though when it wasn't fastened, for the driver only. Pete
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source