Which car would you feel safest in Thailand

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Re: Which car would you feel safest in Thailand

Post by bsdk1960 »

I know this TIT but interresting anyway,I know a few in DK who owns one of these and it is a stunning ride.

file:///C:///'The%20most%20significant%20development%20since%20the%20safety%20belt'%20-%20BBC%20News.html

:cheers: :cheers:

[Mod Edit] I presume this is the link you were referring to http://www.bbc.com/news/business-43752226
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Yes, it is a nice car. But with all the automated safety kit installed, there is a lot more to go wrong. And when it does, perhaps without warning, there is a higher possibility of an accident waiting to happen. Complacency and dependence on automated systems should not be the norm.
The best safety imo is getting a safe and qualified person behind the wheel.
วินเชนท์
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

VincentD wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 10:20 am Yes, it is a nice car. But with all the automated safety kit installed, there is a lot more to go wrong. And when it does, perhaps without warning, there is a higher possibility of an accident waiting to happen. Complacency and dependence on automated systems should not be the norm.
The best safety imo is getting a safe and qualified person behind the wheel.
Surely the fact that not one person has been killed in one since 2002, suggests that the safety kit is fairly reliable and the vehicle itself is fundamentally safe - of course a reckless driver could distort the figures, but I imagine that fairly responsible drivers in the main buy Volvo cars, not reckless ones.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

They used to say "If you can't drive, get a Volvo". They've always had the emphasis on safety. Let's face it, they don't have anything else to shout about.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

The new Volvo SUV's are not bad looking vehicles. The XC60 runs about 3 million Baht. The XC40 isn't available here yet but is coming. Pricing unknown. Pete :cheers:
2018-volvo-xc60-photos-and-info-news-car-and-driver-photo-676573-s-original.jpg
2018-volvo-xc60-photos-and-info-news-car-and-driver-photo-676573-s-original.jpg (95.18 KiB) Viewed 863 times
maxresdefault.jpg
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

It's a shame there is no Volvo dealership locally, Bangkok is the nearest..
Would have liked to test-drive one. Volvo was scored off the list due to this and also the XC90 which is the model that suited us best was about twice our budget.
Everest getting picked-up Friday.
:cheers:
GN.

Edit: welcome back Pete :thumb:
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

The new Everest is a much improved looking car. I just hope that you do not have the same treatment from the local dealer that Big Boy endured. :cheers:
(ps: thought that you were in the land of dust and Camels just now?)
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

Mrs. GN picking up 'Eddy' the Everest Nereus.
Still in the shithole.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

In Ford's defence, my treatment was attrocious, but they have really sorted themselves out now. My bad treatment was 3 years ago, and I can't fault them since. If I wasn't such a miserable git, I'd even say I was happy with them now :twisted:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Ginjaninja wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 8:37 am It's a shame there is no Volvo dealership locally, Bangkok is the nearest..
Would have liked to test-drive one. Volvo was scored off the list due to this and also the XC90 which is the model that suited us best was about twice our budget.
:cheers:
GN.

Edit: welcome back Pete :thumb:
Yes, I forgot an image of the XC90 which is below. The photo with the man standing puts into some perspective that it is pretty big. I sat in one at mall a year or so ago and it's a bit bigger than I would be comfortable with on Thai urban roads. The rounded style remains similar to what the XC60 looked like prior to the new 2018 model release. Pete :cheers:
770398a2bc4eee19996a9d2b01c17dc3f17f2b40e096c085051d4df7.jpg
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Volvo promises deathproof cars by 2020

Volvo has made a shocking pledge: By 2020, no one will be killed or seriously injured in a new Volvo car or SUV.
http://money.cnn.com/2016/01/20/luxury/ ... index.html
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Dannie Boy wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:50 pm I drive a Pajero Sport so I am somewhat biased, but it does have better safety functions than most of the 4x4 type vehicles. My wife doesn’t like driving it though as she finds it too big - I really like it though and appreciate the built-in safety features although I hope never to have to put them to the test. Unless money is no object (in which case I would recommend a Volvo), I’m sure the Pajero would be a good choice.
Before DB goes on the defensive, I am not saying the Pajero is a bad car.

I've just got to say, for a big car, the Pajero is hideously small for me. I had a brand new one turn up as a taxi for me a couple of nights ago, and it took several minutes to get me in.

Before I moved to Thailand, I fell in love with the look of the Mitsubishi pick-up, and had promised myself one. I'd basically discounted the Isuzu and Mazda at the showrooms because I'd promised myself the Mitsubishi. When I got to the showroom, I couldn't easily get in. Once I was in (think Prince Charming trying to get the Ugly Sisters into a glass slipper), there was no way I could have driven very far - it was so uncomfortable for me. I'm afraid the Pajero would present exactly the same problems.

OK, I'm a little on the large side, and I know the OP would not have the same difficulties. Volvos used to present similar problems for me in the UK.

I'm afraid with even the slightest knock in a Pajero, they'd have to get me out with a tin opener.

I'm fine in much smaller cars, including the Mazda 2 and Vios. It's just something about Mitsubishi that I can't cope with. Another stange one in the UK was Ford. I could drive Fiestas to Mondeos, but as soon as you gave me a Scorpio, I didn't fit. I was a hire car company's nightmare.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 6:02 pm
Dannie Boy wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:50 pm I drive a Pajero Sport so I am somewhat biased, but it does have better safety functions than most of the 4x4 type vehicles. My wife doesn’t like driving it though as she finds it too big - I really like it though and appreciate the built-in safety features although I hope never to have to put them to the test. Unless money is no object (in which case I would recommend a Volvo), I’m sure the Pajero would be a good choice.
Before DB goes on the defensive, I am not saying the Pajero is a bad car.

I've just got to say, for a big car, the Pajero is hideously small for me. I had a brand new one turn up as a taxi for me a couple of nights ago, and it took several minutes to get me in.

Before I moved to Thailand, I fell in love with the look of the Mitsubishi pick-up, and had promised myself one. I'd basically discounted the Isuzu and Mazda at the showrooms because I'd promised myself the Mitsubishi. When I got to the showroom, I couldn't easily get in. Once I was in (think Prince Charming trying to get the Ugly Sisters into a glass slipper), there was no way I could have driven very far - it was so uncomfortable for me. I'm afraid the Pajero would present exactly the same problems.

OK, I'm a little on the large side, and I know the OP would not have the same difficulties. Volvos used to present similar problems for me in the UK.

I'm afraid with even the slightest knock in a Pajero, they'd have to get me out with a tin opener.

I'm fine in much smaller cars, including the Mazda 2 and Vios. It's just something about Mitsubishi that I can't cope with. Another stange one in the UK was Ford. I could drive Fiestas to Mondeos, but as soon as you gave me a Scorpio, I didn't fit. I was a hire car company's nightmare.
I thought I had to reply BB but not in a particularly defensive manner, as I would agree that the Pajero Sport is not that big inside - ok it’s fine for me at 5’ 9” and 84 kg but I could imagine why you would have great difficulty fitting into one (no disrespect intended). I’ve not sat in a Ford Everest to compare, but the Pajero is definitely narrower than most of its competitors - having said that, I find it quite comfortable to drive. :cheers: