Harsh new penalties for unlicensed driving 'not yet law'

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/genera ... recent_box

Police and the Land Transport Department have come out to allay motorists' worries about harsher penalties for driving without a licence or an invalid one.

Pol Maj Gen Ekkarak Limsangkat, who sits in a police panel to solve traffic issues, said on Wednesday here was no need for panic as the new penalties were not yet enshrined in law.

The department also issued a statement explaining the process.
Drivers have cried foul on social media about the huge increase in fines or jail terms since the move was unveiled by the department.

At present, driving without a licence carries a maximum penalty of 1,000 baht and/or one month in jail.
Motorists face a maximum fine of 2,000 baht if they drive when their licence has expired, been seized or withdrawn from use.

The penalties are set down in two laws -- the Vehicle Act BE 2522 (1979) and Land Transport Act BE 2522 (1979).
The department has proposed the cabinet merge the two laws into one, with stronger penalties.

Under the proposal, the maximum fine for driving without a licence would be increased 50-fold to 50,000 baht and the maximum jail term from one to three months. Driving with an invalid licence or when the licence has been seized or withdrawn by authorities would be hiked to a maximum 50,000 baht from the current 2,000 baht, with the added option of a three-month jail term.

The department hopes the increased penalties would make drivers better behaved on the roads, and reduce accidents and loss of lives. (Absolutely! They have now found the cause of so many "accidents"! :roll: )

But the new draft law must be sent to the cabinet for approval first. The National Legislative Assembly would also have to pass it into law, the department statement said.

Thailand has the second highest annual road traffic fatality rate in the world, at 36.2 per 100,000 people, according to the World Health Organisation. The kingdom has 66 roads deaths a day on average, it says.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Re: Harsh new penalties for unlicensed driving 'not yet law'

Post by laphanphon »

One can only hope, and please add and include all foreigners.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

The department also issued a statement explaining the process.
Drivers have cried foul on social media about the huge increase in fines or jail terms since the move was unveiled by the department.
In response drivers are told not to worry because it's not law yet!

Why drivers are calling foul is beyond belief. If you have a licence then no problem but if not then you're in trouble. How can drivers complain about that?
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Motorists slam police road safety crackdown

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/genera ... -crackdown

Netizens say move invites corruption

The Department of Land Transport (DLT) is upgrading laws to boost road safety by stepping up fines and imposing lengthy jail terms for driving licence-related offences.
The proposal has received a severe backlash from motorists and netizens. They say the move is unfair and paves the way for authorities to take advantage of motorists.

A new traffic law would raise fines for driving without a licence by 5,000 percent - and critics say that's an invitation to police checkpoint corruption. (File photo by Thiti Wannamontha)
DLT director-general Sanith Phromwong confirmed the DLT is pressing on with the enforcement.

"The proposed changes to the new bill have been floated to promote responsible driving, and reduce the road death rate in Thailand," he told the Bangkok Post.

According to a report by the World Health Organisation (WHO) in 2015, Thailand's roads are ranked as the second deadliest in the world. The report found that 83% of traffic deaths in Thailand are suffered by pedestrians, cyclists and motorcyclists -- much higher than the global average of 49%.

Mr Sanit said the proposal, which combines the Vehicle Act and Land Transport Act, has been sent to the cabinet for a decision.

"It is currently up to the judgement of the various committees involved, concerning whether the fines are just or will be exercised to the maximum," he said. "I'm sure they will come up with a fair conclusion for the public."
"The maximum fines we are seeing are the combined result of the two fines of public and private vehicles being meshed together," he said. "It is unlikely that private car-owners will be fined 50,000 baht [for driving without a licence]," he said.

If the proposal is approved, violators could see fines for driving licence-related offences multiply to a maximum of 50,000 baht and three months' imprisonment (or both).

The DLT said current laws are too lax. It said many motorists get behind the wheel while leaving their licences at home. Some are teenagers who have had their licences suspended for drink-driving related offences.
The laws are the Vehicle Act and Land Transport Act, both of which took effect in 1979.

The former applies to privately owned vehicles, with significantly smaller fines. The latter act must be observed by public transport and logistics vehicles, and imposes much higher fines.
Under the Vehicle Act, driving without a licence carries a maximum penalty of 1,000 baht and one month in jail, or both.
Motorists face a maximum fine of 2,000 baht if they drive when their licence has expired, been seized or withdrawn from use.

Under the so-called Land Transport Bill, private vehicles could also be susceptible to higher fines than the maximum penalties for public transport vehicles.

Under the DLT's latest proposal, the maximum fine for driving without a licence would be increased 50-fold to 50,000 baht and the maximum jail term from one to three months.

Driving with an invalid licence or when the licence has been seized or withdrawn by authorities would be hiked to a maximum 50,000 baht from the current 2,000 baht, with the added option of a three-month jail term.

The Land Transport Act says public transport and logistics vehicle drivers face maximum penalties of 40,000 baht and a two-year jail term, according to the DLT. The same maximum jail term and fine is observed with drivers who had their licences seized or terminated.

Mr Sanith said that DLT is also looking to combine the proposed bill with the Land Traffic Act to make enforcement more efficient.

He said police have also proposed a new Land Traffic Bill, which is under review by the National Legislative assembly.
Pol Maj Gen Ekkarak Limsangkat, who sits on a police panel to solve traffic issues, said there was no need for the public to panic as the new penalties were not yet enshrined in law.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Those were my thoughts exactly, especially after laphanphon's comment i.e. who are they more likely to stop, and successfully extort a huge wad of cash from? They will need to re-design the uniforms with larger back pockets. Very sad, but true.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Fandango
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Fandango »

Harsh new penalties for dangerous and careless driving might be more to the point!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Police in Thailand are usually static. People at Thai roadblocks are not normally careless or dangerous because they are queuing. Are you suggesting the police get off their arses and do some real policing? I've more chance of winning the lottery, and I don't even buy a ticket.

Points 48; Position 20
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

No license, before 100 or 200 Bhat was OK, now it will be 1000 pocket money.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

The proposal has received a severe backlash from motorists and netizens. They say the move is unfair and paves the way for authorities to take advantage of motorists.
With such a backlash on social media, I can only assume that there are a huge number of drivers who consider it their god given right to drive without a licence. Unbelievable.
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I agree 100% with 1 & 2. IMHO No.3 requires a little leeway as per the UK. I've forgotten my licence about 5 times in 6 years. On one of those occasions, I was stopped, but for some strange reason was not asked for my licence. Surely, everybody must forget sometimes. In the UK, the police issue you with a note giving you a period to present your licence at a police station.

Points 48; Position 20
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

The one time I forgot my licence I was stopped. Perhaps I will keep my licence in the glove box and a photocopy in my wallet.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Why shouldn't your home country license be sufficient? You have to have one to get an international license. Oh, I forgot the money part.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

HHTel wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:35 pm
With such a backlash on social media, I can only assume that there are a huge number of drivers who consider it their god given right to drive without a licence. Unbelievable.
Perhaps, but I think there are also a huge number of people out there who know only too well where these changes will lead to if they happen.

Nobody is going to be arrested and nobody is going to pay 50K. It simply means that instead of slipping the officer 200 baht, you will now have to fork out a bit more, perhaps 500 for Thais and 1000 for Farang.
I agree with the sentiment of many Thai, in that these new fines will simply make life more lucrative for many officials.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Inflation - the price has remained static for a while now, whilst the price of tea constantly rises :run:

Points 48; Position 20