European Union new motor vehicle tax

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
PeteC

European Union new motor vehicle tax

Post by PeteC »

Is the EU tax on new vehicles higher than it was when controlled by the individual countries? I ask as I've been watching some car shows on TV which review vehicles and show prices in EU, and what I see seems a very high cost for the type/brand of cars shown.

I'm thinking they've instituted something like Thailand has concerning tax penalties for big engine vehicles, and high emission vehicles, as well as perhaps simply building up their treasury. Thanks. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Phyton
Professional
Professional

Re: European Union new motor vehicle tax

Post by Phyton »

Never heared about a EU tax.

In Germany we have:
- 19% MwSt = VAT
- Annual motor vehicle tax depending on pollutant emissions (for my car 36 € a year)
. tax on car insurance + VAT
- tax on Gasoline + VAT

all taxes Germany based
Greets,
Phyton
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Vehicle tax is still controlled by the individual countries as stated above, the EU has nothing to do with it. Many countries do now have tax based on C02 emissions that do make owning gas guzzlers very expensive.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

STEVE G wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:07 pm Vehicle tax is still controlled by the individual countries as stated above, the EU has nothing to do with it. Many countries do now have tax based on C02 emissions that do make owning gas guzzlers very expensive.
Certainly governed by individual countries. Emissions is a huge part although some of the worst offenders, "Classic Cars" being 40+ years are tax exempt. Obviously engine size comes into it, but a bizarre one I discovered a little while back was that tyre size also comes into the "calculation". :shock:

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Ok, thanks. That clarifies it for me. I was thinking that it was some kind of central assessment. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source