Ford Ranger Powertrain Problem

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Big Boy

Re: Powertrain Problem

Post by Big Boy »

Nereus wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:59 am I would be a bit concerned with this statement. Have they in fact already fitted either a new turbo, or overhauled the existing unit?
I did query this at the time, and they produced the old turbo for me to see. Prior to the overhaul of the local Ford dealer, I too would have been very suspicious. However since they brought in their trouble shooter they have been excellent.

You must remember, standing behind the counter makes the Ford people high class and Mrs BB feels like a piece of sh*t. TIT. No matter what I I say, I am arguing against Ford and Mrs BB - they are stood behind the counter, so they must be right.

I will get the old parts back, so I'll see what they've done when I get it back.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

How many Km's / miles has the car done with the turbo that you originally had a problem with?
You must remember, standing behind the counter makes the Ford people high class and Mrs BB feels like a piece of sh*t. TIT. No matter what I I say, I am arguing against Ford and Mrs BB - they are stood behind the counter, so they must be right.
Yes, I had the same problem with Land Rover here. However, after an Australian blast of I am sure words that they never knew existed, plus a letter from a lawyer, they realised the error of their ways.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I think it had done less than 40K Km when it was changed. I'm now on 89K.

:laugh: I don't think a solicitor's letter to Mrs BB would help. Because of my attitude with Ford previously she just assumes I'm having a go at them, and starts defending them. Yes, she's making their life easy, but the 'new' Ford would not have any problem with trying to explain the problem, but she keeps intervening.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
T.O.M.
Banned
Banned

Post by T.O.M. »

Big Boy wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:55 am I think it had done less than 40K Km when it was changed. I'm now on 89K.

:laugh: I don't think a solicitor's letter to Mrs BB would help. Because of my attitude with Ford previously she just assumes I'm having a go at them, and starts defending them. Yes, she's making their life easy, but the 'new' Ford would not have any problem with trying to explain the problem, but she keeps intervening.
Ever considered leaving the wife at home?
You are a "Big Boy".....so going to the garage without her shouldn't be a problem....
If you bring a Thai along, of course they will ignore you......If you came on your own, they would have to deal with you...and surprise, surprise...they would manage to speak a little English.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

There's no chance of her missing a trip to Ford - her favourite eatery in Hua Hin (maybe Thailand/the World) is next door.

Points 48; Position 18
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:43 pm There's no chance of her missing a trip to Ford - her favourite eatery in Hua Hin (maybe Thailand/the World) is next door.
So while Mrs BB is eating, go do the business next door!!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

It's OK guys, it's making a bit of sense now thanks to Nereus and caller. I'll find out for sure on Monday. If it makes any sense to me, I'll report back Monday evening. JMHO the scam merchants were removed from Ford about 3 years ago - my trust has been restored.

Points 48; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Well, I'm none the wiser, but my motor is running sweetly again. Here are the parts:
Hose Turbo Outlet
Hose Turbo Outlet
20180924_143824.jpg (167.65 KiB) Viewed 476 times
Fuel Pipe
Fuel Pipe
20180924_143843.jpg (151.61 KiB) Viewed 476 times
Relay Glow Plug
Relay Glow Plug
20180924_143903.jpg (114.65 KiB) Viewed 476 times
Glow Plugs
Glow Plugs
20180924_143922.jpg (134.09 KiB) Viewed 476 times
A bag of gaskets/seals?
A bag of gaskets/seals?
20180924_143939.jpg (83.27 KiB) Viewed 476 times
First thing I have concluded is it wasn't a split fuel tank, but a split fuel hose.

My next conclusion is pretty huge. Some of you will remember me complaining of a whooshing noise, which eventually led to the car's turbo being replaced. This whooshing has gradually returned over the 3 years, and had become as annoying as the original whooshing. I had decided it was a noise that turbos made after a while (I've told you I'm thick as 2 short planks where mechanics is concerned). Going back to Nereus' statement, "Such hose's are prone to delamination and collapsing internaly. The result is the engine does not get enough air, and ECU will cut back the fuel to compensate. Once you stop the engine the hose may well have sprung back to its proper shape." I'm wondering if the whooshing has been the collapsing and springing back to normal shape all along. Whatever, the whooshing has stopped again.

I'm happy again.

Points 48; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Geez, *****ing computers! I just wrote an answer for you and while checking at preview the whole f****ing thing vanished!

It looks like the old "replace parts until it is fixed" trick, or the owner says WTF is this!

First photo:This is the hose that goes from the turbo charger to the intercooler. It is under pressure from the turbo and at a higher temperature than ambient. (but not as hot as the exhaust gas)

Second photo: This is a low pressure fuel hose, maybe from the filter to the high pressure injection pump. Unusual to fail unless mishandled.

Third photo This an electrical relay to energise the glow plugs, It may or may not have an inbuilt timer.

Fourth photo:Was the engine hard to start? These are "glow plugs" used to pre-heat the air in the combustion chamber to aid starting. The system may or may not have a sensor that tells the ECU if they are required for each start.
I was not aware that these engines had them, as they are a cold climate requirement. Just my opinion, but I doubt if they are ever needed or used in this climate.

Fifth photo:The rectangular gaskets may be from either the intercooler, or the inlet manifold. Not sure why there are 8 of them. Is there a part number? The big round gaskets are from where the big hose fits onto each end of the turbo and intercooler.

You mentioned previously that they showed you the turbo charger. There is nothing there that is part of the turbo, except maybe a gasket. If it was my car I think that I would be looking at replacing those hoses with silicone parts that I linked to previously.

Any questions please ask, as there is no such thing as a dumb question with things like this. :cheers:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, looking at what they've replaced, I must admit, I honestly can't understand what took 8 days, although I'm sure the extra exercise has done me the world of good.

The bit that I don't see are the screws and nuts Mrs BB talked about.

The car has always started the same as the day I got it - perfect.

Points 48; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

The following is supposedly from a Ford service manual. The same site also mentions having to remove the inlet manifold to replace the glow plugs, which confirms the rectangular gaskets being renewed. Some of this modern crap is at odds with what I studied and was taught, but then I am on old fart now! All the glow plugs that I ever had anything to do with were operated manually IF required, on a cold engine just for starting.
The glow plugs are located in the side of the cylinder head and aid engine starting and efficiency. The glow plugs and the glow plug indicator lamp are controlled by the powertrain control module (PCM).
The glow plugs preheat the combustion chambers, which aids cold starting. During the preheat stage, the PCM receives an engine temperature signal from the cylinder head temperature (CHT) sensor and this determines the preheat time. The lower the temperature, the longer the preheat time. There is a maximum preheat time of 8 seconds at -20°C or lower. At temperatures above 80°C there is no preheat phase.
Once the engine has started, the glow plugs enter an after-glow phase. The after-glow phase helps to improve idling and reduce hydrocarbon emissions through more efficient combustion just after starting. The after-glow phase only operates at engine speeds below 2500 RPM, above that, the after-glow phase is interrupted to increase the durability of the glow plugs. There is a maximum after-glow time of 30 seconds at -20°C or lower. At temperatures above 50°C there is no after-glow phase.
So like I posted, highly unlikely to be used very much in this climate, but as I do not have access to the complete service manual, cannot say for sure.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

On my Hilux, in Thailand, the glow plug light comes on for about a second and you don't even think about it as we don't worry about cold starts out here.
Back in Europe, in winter, you wait for the glow plug light to go off before trying to start a diesel, which can take some seconds, as quoted above. On some of the older vehicles we have at work, when it gets down to below -10C, you have to do this preheating about three times by cycling the ignition key before trying to start the engine.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Well guys, I wasn't unhappy, in fact I'm still pretty cool about it, but 8 days work to change 2 hoses, a relay and 4 plugs, with my wallet 19K Baht lighter.

Less than a week after getting the car back, I drove to Ratchaburi Sunday, returning early this morning. I was in no rush and drove at between 80 and 90kph all the way. I had to stop 5 times on my 154 mile round trip.

The only salvation was the work is fully guaranteed. The annoying part is how many more days without my car? I'm due to drive to Ratchaburi again on Wednesday - I can't see that happening.

Points 48; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

So what is happening now? The same light coming on? :?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, 5 times. After the 5th time, I was blessed with the engine management light as well.

Points 48; Position 18