Hua Hin Golf Gossip

Sub-forum for discussion on golf in Hua Hin and Thailand.
ChrisJ
Novice
Novice

Re: Hua Hin Golf Gossip

Post by ChrisJ »

Hi, hoping the locals can help me out.. :( I'll be in Hua Hin from 28th Dec for 10 days and intend to play 10 rounds of golf...... at least :D

Had a look through the forum and got the idea to play Banyon, Sea Pines and Royal Hua Hin.... seem to be near town and ok. I'll now be on my own so will it be easy to tag onto a three ball or is this period going to be really busy and I need to already book now for each day ? I would much prefer to play it by ear on a day to day basis but no issue to plan and book already now if high season dictates...

Also, if I have a choice, what's the best time of day to play ? I'd prefer mornings, but not crack of dawn ( I am on holiday!) I've been told last possible tee time is around 1,30 pm and that traffic towards then gets hectic ??

Your invaluable local insight would be hugely appreciated on this one !!

Cheers....
Chris
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

As a one ball you should have a decent chance of rocking up and getting a game, if your dead set on playing best book a time particularly at Banyan, Black Mountain, Springfield. The courses are very busy at the time your here so its up to you whether u take a chance, u could always get a taxi top take u to Krang Kachan where sure you would ge a game and even with taxi you would still be paying less!
valrhona

Post by valrhona »

I would skip Royal Hua Hin which is very poor value in my opinion and go to Black Mountain which isn't really that far. It's a little more expensive but one of the nicest courses in Thailand. I've never had too much trouble getting on as a single but it is best to phone ahead especially if you are looking for a morning time.
kirkyboy

Post by kirkyboy »

We always book with AGP in Poon Sook Rd. Naeng, Claus and Gee will look after you, you can hire very good sets of clubs for around 400 baht. They will pick you up from your accommodation, take you to the course and pick you up when you like (after a few beers after the round) They are very competitive on prices and will tell you if the course you choose to play is in good condition or not.
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

It seems that Lake View has really go itself back together friends been playing there over the past few weeks and are very impressed! Great news as its a super layout :)
STEKFLIT
Rookie
Rookie

Post by STEKFLIT »

lomuamart wrote:OK. This is a rant about Black Mountain and their transport/minibus service.
I don't have a car and normally get to the courses in a friend's car.
Why don't you start thinking about building up an online car-sharing system? That is real community oriented!
When I go play, I am usually alone in my car.....
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Wow,
That was a rant from a long time ago.
Chok dii.
STEKFLIT
Rookie
Rookie

Post by STEKFLIT »

and it does not yield much, right !?
heartofmidlothian
Professional
Professional

Post by heartofmidlothian »

Good to hear that Lakeview is looking better. I have heard that the greens are excellent. They got a new greenkeeper back in March or April, the guy who had the Springfield greens in excellent shape last winter. Since he left Springfield, their greens have really gone downhill. I haven't played Springfield since November - is it looking any better?
Ratchaburi is the place to go for value. Make a day of it, share minibuses or cars and the cost should be no more than 1000 baht for green fee, caddie fee and transport. It is the antidote for 3000 baht plus green fees! Do any of the tour agents organise big groups to these courses?
SunandFun
Guru
Guru

Post by SunandFun »

I played Springfield A&B three times last week. (Had to take advantage of my new membership there)
The greens were fair, with some damage and various repair patches. The fairways had substantial areas under repair. It is definitely not "up to par." It has suffered from the lack of care since the green keeper has left. Members are complaining. There was no lack of water, even seemed a little wet. Probably would rate it at a "7" on a scale of 1-10.
They must find a really good green keeper or they will begin to suffer and people will stop going there. I hope they respond to the complaints.
I wouldn't have to manage my anger if people could learn to mange their stupidity!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

A question from a golfing ignoramus. They've obviously had quite a substantial amount in mebership fee from you. They now aren't keeping the course up to scratch - are you saying people will forfeit their cash, and go elsewhere?

Golf is crazier than I thought.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

BB,
It's the green keepers and some of them really know how to take of a course.
Imagine a huge area and it's your job to take care of it all. A huge undertaking.
A garden that's big. I couldn't do it but - oh well. A labour of love.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

OK, ignoramus or not, I can understand the enormity of the task.

The bit I couldn't understand was SunandFun's beleif that people would walk away from a particular course after paying what to me is a huge sum of money to become a member in the first place. Obviously, I'm not rich like you golfing types, but I can't imagine many of you obtaining your wealth by paying huge sums for something, then as soon as it goes a bit wrong, just walking away.

Points 41; Position 18
SunandFun
Guru
Guru

Post by SunandFun »

Big Boy wrote:A question from a golfing ignoramus. They've obviously had quite a substantial amount in mebership fee from you. They now aren't keeping the course up to scratch - are you saying people will forfeit their cash, and go elsewhere?

Golf is crazier than I thought.
I played with three different members over the three days. One was considering selling their membership. The others were just complaining and one had another membership they would use more now. But mainly, my comment was about visiting players who do not have a membership but come for several months and play there regularly. They will take their money elsewhere and play on nicer courses in the area. (Banyan, Black Mountain and Sea Pines) The tour groups will also go elsewhere too! So this will further affect the course as it is a big part of their revenue that pays for upkeep. For me, I will continue to play there and at other courses with the Golf Societies when I come. Yes, they have a big part of my money, but it is still a good course, just not a championship quality course any more. It can still be saved. Last year there was a lack of water and that had an affect on all courses. But Springfield did not have the damage that it has this year. You just hate to see something that was once "great" go down. Let's hope they will get their act together and invest in a great Green Keeper again. I understand he left over 1000 Baht. Very sad.
I wouldn't have to manage my anger if people could learn to mange their stupidity!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

SunandFun wrote:But mainly, my comment was about visiting players who do not have a membership but come for several months and play there regularly. They will take their money elsewhere and play on nicer courses in the area. (Banyan, Black Mountain and Sea Pines) The tour groups will also go elsewhere too!
Thanks SunandFun, that explains it a lot better.

Points 41; Position 18