Golf Rules - Questions and Answers

Sub-forum for discussion on golf in Hua Hin and Thailand.
SunandFun
Guru
Guru

Re: Golf Rules - Questions and Answers

Post by SunandFun »

centermid7 wrote:RULE 8-1. Advice
During a stipulated round, a player must not:
a. give advice to anyone in the competition playing on the course other than
his partner, or
b. ask for advice from anyone other than his partner or either of their caddies.

The original question from Brokendown is faulty in that he suggests that it is not "acceptable" to ask ones partner. Indeed it is acceptable to both ask and for the partner to answer if we are talking about a team event. Not to be confused with two people just sharing a cart for example.
centermid7,
You are correct in your language of "Golf Talk."
"Partner" is your partner in Match Play.
"Fellow Competitor" is your playing opponent or companion in Stroke Play.
I, myself did not catch the word "partner" as I was more confused over the words "Not Acceptable."
But the Rules and Decisions are very clear, so I hope that this will provide sufficient details to better understand The Rules of Golf.

Thanks for your input.

HAPPY GOLFING!
brokendown
Amateur
Amateur

Post by brokendown »

thanks for the replies--the situation was 8 of us were playing in an unofficial comp(s/ford)but at the same time playing a team event with your partner against the other two in our four.I asked my partner what club he used on a par 3 before I teed off.Should I have been penalised two shots?
SunandFun
Guru
Guru

Post by SunandFun »

brokendown wrote:thanks for the replies--the situation was 8 of us were playing in an unofficial comp(s/ford)but at the same time playing a team event with your partner against the other two in our four.I asked my partner what club he used on a par 3 before I teed off.Should I have been penalised two shots?
YES. You should be penalised two strokes.

Decision 31/1
Examples of Rulings in Four-Ball Stroke Play with Concurrent Individual Competition
When competitors are involved in concurrent stroke play competitions,
whenever possible the Rules are applied only to the competition affected.
When it is not possible to separate the competitions, the four-ball competition
takes precedence. The exception to that is with Rule 8-1 (Advice), as the
two partners may not exchange advice if both are playing in the individual
competition; if just one of them is playing in the individual competition, they
may exchange advice.
I wouldn't have to manage my anger if people could learn to mange their stupidity!
brokendown
Amateur
Amateur

Post by brokendown »

ok--didn't really matter anyway as my 2 shot penalty would have resulted in a wipe,which I got anyway.
Great day at Banyan-won with 40 points(Playing of a 17--off the white tees though)--eight of us were over on a golfing trip from Perth--had a great time ,will be back next year for sure!
SunandFun
Guru
Guru

Post by SunandFun »

brokendown wrote:ok--didn't really matter anyway as my 2 shot penalty would have resulted in a wipe,which I got anyway.
Great day at Banyan-won with 40 points(Playing of a 17--off the white tees though)--eight of us were over on a golfing trip from Perth--had a great time ,will be back next year for sure!
No problem Brokendown. Glad to help you out. Let me know if you have any questions about Rules back home. Just post them here.

HAPPY GOLFING!
musungu
Professional
Professional

Post by musungu »

brokendown wrote:ok--didn't really matter anyway as my 2 shot penalty would have resulted in a wipe,which I got anyway.

Very well played but IMO playing with an Aussie handicap from the white tees is 3 shots less your handicap
Prior Planning & Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.
brokendown
Amateur
Amateur

Post by brokendown »

we now have a slope rated system--our course is rated at either 123 or 128-my golf australia handicap is 16
brokendown
Amateur
Amateur

Post by brokendown »

ps,please do not inform me that I'm a worse golfer than I think I am!
SunandFun
Guru
Guru

2016 Rules Changes

Post by SunandFun »

Here is an overview of the changes for the 2016 Decisions to the Rules of Golf 2016-2018

AS always, if you have any questions about the Rules of Golf, please post them here and I will answer them within a few days. (Response time depends on my schedule of Refereeing Professional Golf Tournaments.)

Resources on 2016 Rules Changes Transcript: USGA, The R&A discuss changes

The R&A and the United States Golf Association today announced the publication of the 2016 edition of the Rules of Golf that takes effect on Jan. 1, 2016. The new Rules book is the culmination of the normal four-year review cycle and is a collaborative work by The R&A and the USGA that applies worldwide to all golfers.

Among the most significant of the changes in the 2016 edition of the Rules are the following:

Withdrawal of Rule on Ball Moving After Address - Rule 18-2b (Ball Moving after Address) has been withdrawn. This means that if a ball at rest moves after the player addresses it, the player is no longer automatically deemed to have caused the ball to move. A one-stroke penalty under Rule 18-2 will be applied only when the facts show that the player has caused the ball to move.

Limited Exception to Disqualification Penalty for Submission of Incorrect Score Card - A new exception has been introduced to Rule 6-6d (Wrong Score for Hole) to provide that a player is not disqualified for returning a lower score for a hole than actually taken as a result of failing to include penalty strokes that the player did not know were incurred before returning the score card. Instead, the player incurs the penalty under the Rule that was breached and must add an additional penalty of two strokes for the score card error. In all other cases in which a player returns a score for any hole lower than actually taken, the penalty will continue to be disqualification.

Modification of Penalty for a Single Impermissible Use of Artificial Devices or Equipment - The penalty for a player’s first breach of Rule 14-3 (Artificial Devices, Unusual Equipment and Abnormal Use of Equipment) during the round has been reduced from disqualification to loss of hole in match play or two strokes in stroke play. The penalty for any subsequent breach of Rule 14-3 will continue to be disqualification.

Prohibition on Anchoring the Club While Making a Stroke - As announced in May 2013, the new Rule 14-1b (Anchoring the Club) prohibits anchoring the club either “directly” or by use of an “anchor point” in making a stroke. The penalty is loss of hole in match play or two strokes in stroke play.

Thomas Pagel, senior director of Rules of Golf at the USGA, said, “The objective with each four-year cycle of the Rules is to monitor developments in the game and, when appropriate, to respond with changes that keep the best interests of the game in mind. The amendments for 2016 preserve and enhance the essential principles of the Rules, while at the same time ensuring that they reflect the evolution of the game.”

David Rickman, executive director – Rules and Equipment Standards at The R&A, said, “We continually look at ways we can improve and clarify the Rules of Golf. The R&A and the USGA collaborate closely and we consult with our respective national and international advisory members to produce a code of Rules that is relevant to all golfers around the world.”

Additional Comments on the Principal Changes

Under Rule 18-2b, a player whose ball moved after address was automatically presumed to have caused the ball to move. In 2012, an Exception to Rule 18-2b was introduced to cover situations where it was known or virtually certain that the player had not caused the ball to move, but the application of that standard was not always clear. The withdrawal of Rule 18-2b means that there no longer will be any presumption and that the same overall test in Rule 18-2 will apply to all actions by the player: if the facts show that the player’s addressing of the ball or other actions caused the ball to move, the player will incur a one-stroke penalty.

The introduction of the new Exception under Rule 6-6d will maintain the importance of returning an accurate score card by penalizing the player two strokes for the score card error in addition to the penalty for the original underlying breach of the Rules. In all other cases where a player returns a score card with a score lower than actually taken on a hole, the player will continue to be disqualified.

In addition to the revised penalty for a player’s first breach of Rule 14-3 during a round, a statement has been introduced at the beginning of Rule 14-3 to explain that the governing bodies are guided by the principle that “success should depend on the judgment, skills and abilities of the player” in determining whether use of any artificial device or item of equipment is in breach of the Rule.

The R&A and the USGA announced in 2013 that new Rule 14-1b prohibiting anchoring the club in making a stroke would take effect in the 2016 edition of the Rules. The Rule was adopted following an extensive review by both organizations. For an explanation of the reasons for adopting Rule 14-1b and for guidance on applying the Rule, see www.usga.org/anchoring.

Printed copies of the Rules of Golf, which are supported by Rolex, are now available from the USGA and The R&A. More detailed information on recent changes and the complete Rules of Golf can also be found at usga.org via this link and randa.org.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

R&A and USGA propose significant rule changes

http://www.bbc.com/sport/golf/39120332

......"Among the changes under consideration are plans to:

Remove any penalty for accidentally moving your ball.
Relax the protocols for taking free or penalty drops, with the ball dropped from only an inch above the ground, rather than shoulder height.
Use fixed distances (20 or 80 inches) rather than club lengths to measure areas where a ball should be dropped.
Reduce the time allowed to search for a lost ball from five to three minutes.
Allow putting on the green with the flagstick left in the hole.
Allow players to repair spike marks and animal damage on greens.
Automatically allow the use of distance measuring devices.
Ban caddies from lining up players as they prepare to hit.
Recommend no player takes more than 40 seconds to hit a shot.
Encourage players in strokeplay to implement "ready golf" rather than waiting until it is their turn to hit.
Empower committees to set a maximum score for a hole (such as double par or triple bogey) to allow a player to pick up and move to the next hole.".......
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Ok that will speed things up by two minutes, but the majority of time consumed in a lost ball scenario is in going back to the point from where the ball was hit starting the process over. I think a lost ball should be a drop at where the ball was last seen with a two stroke penalty instead of going backwards on the golf course...
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
SunandFun
Guru
Guru

Post by SunandFun »

hhfarang wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:28 pm
Ok that will speed things up by two minutes, but the majority of time consumed in a lost ball scenario is in going back to the point from where the ball was hit starting the process over. I think a lost ball should be a drop at where the ball was last seen with a two stroke penalty instead of going backwards on the golf course...

Too many reasons why this will never be allowed. "Dropping a ball where you "think" your ball is lost." When you hit that errant shot that you may or may not find, you should, at that time, announce that you are hitting a provisional ball and then you go forward to search for your ball. This saves time and saves you from going back. If after three minutes (new in 2018) then you can play the provisional ball if you were unable to find your original ball.
I wouldn't have to manage my anger if people could learn to mange their stupidity!
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

SunandFun wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:01 pm
hhfarang wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:28 pm

Too many reasons why this will never be allowed. "Dropping a ball where you "think" your ball is lost." When you hit that errant shot that you may or may not find, you should, at that time, announce that you are hitting a provisional ball and then you go forward to search for your ball. This saves time and saves you from going back. If after three minutes (new in 2018) then you can play the provisional ball if you were unable to find your original ball.
Playing a Provisional ball immediately is what 90+% of players do already in my 50+ year experience
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Sorry if this is in wrong place..... But can I 'legally' put a piece of black insulation tape(not weighted) on the top of my driver clubhead or would this be considered an alignment aid or whatever Nb not the clubface just the crown of the clubhead thanks

Sent from my CUBOT_NOTE_S using Tapatalk

SunandFun
Guru
Guru

Post by SunandFun »

thecolonel wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:24 am Sorry if this is in wrong place..... But can I 'legally' put a piece of black insulation tape(not weighted) on the top of my driver clubhead or would this be considered an alignment aid or whatever Nb not the clubface just the crown of the clubhead thanks

Sent from my CUBOT_NOTE_S using Tapatalk
Decision 4 - 1 / 5
Q- May a player put an adhesive bandage or TAPE on his clubbed to reduce the glare or protect the club from being damaged?

A- An adhesive bandage or tape added to the clubhead is considered an external attachment, rendering the club non-conforming. However, material attached to the clubhead that does not affect the performance of the club and is semi-permanent, durable and not easily removable and conforms to the shape of the clubhead may be permitted by exception, but an adhesive bandage or tape does not fall under that exception because such items are temporary in nature and easily removable. See " A Guide to the Rules on Clubs and Balls" , Section 1a for detailed criteria regarding permissible external attachments, such as alignment markings, protective coverings or decorative decals.

Additionally, adding such an attachment during the stipulated round would change the club's characteristics in breach of Rule 4-2.

David Range, Certified Rules Official