Choice of golf course for a complete beginner

Sub-forum for discussion on golf in Hua Hin and Thailand.
SHROPSHIRE LAD
Novice
Novice

Choice of golf course for a complete beginner

Post by SHROPSHIRE LAD »

My sister is visiting in November and has asked me to arrange a days golfing. She has never held a golf club in her life. I'm not much better having not played for 15 years.
Can someone please recommend a course where beginners would be tolerated? I am conscious of the fact that regular players are probably being excessively charged for their golfing pleasures and I would hate to hinder their round of golf in any way.
I have my own transport so traveling an hour each way is no problem.
Thanks in advance for any sensible replies.
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Re: Choice of golf course for a complete beginner

Post by MrPlum »

I can't see her enjoying it without having some kind of idea. Treat her to a lesson. Or hire a buggy and let her drive it while you play like a demon.

If she's insistent, Tannarat may fit the bill. Or Dolphin Bay.
SunandFun
Guru
Guru

Post by SunandFun »

Agree with above. A lesson and a few buckets of balls first. If you both can hit every other shot in the intended direction, then maybe would suggest going to Black Mountain and play the PAR-3 Course. Take lots of balls and don't keep score. This could be fun. If you are both unable to hit every other shot in the intended direction, stay on the driving range and go play some miniature golf. Then have a nice lunch at the club. Keep golf fun.
I wouldn't have to manage my anger if people could learn to mange their stupidity!
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I'd also say Dolphin Bay after trying to hit some balls at a range in HH first.
It's about 45 mins from town and a well laid out 9 holes. A decent length. Not in great condition but if you place balls around the course don't let that put you off.
Plus, last time I was there, it was free - 30 THB for a trolley. They don't mind complete beginners there. Just let groups through if you're holding them up.
bonnielass
Professional
Professional

Post by bonnielass »

IMHO going on a golf course as a complete novice is not a good idea. We took a friend's wife out with us a few years back, complete disaster.

She got very frustated when she couldn't hit the ball, and she was totally embarrassed in front of caddies and other golfers! She stopped after a couple of holes and just sat in the buggy.

November is high season in Hua Hin so the golf course is probably going to be busy. I think you are right in assuming that any golfers playing behind you would probably get very annoyed.

Why not think about trying the Par 3 course at Black Mountain. A bit less boring than hitting balls on the range.
Ye canny shove yer Grannie off a bus....
cock
Amateur
Amateur

Post by cock »

Again, as said before, If she's never played before, do yourself a favour and take here to a ranch!

Golf is not that cheap compared to other things and others may be a bit frustated to say the least if they paid some 2500-3000 THB for a round and are stuck behind your ball as it's not that common that they let a quicker ball through as in many other countries.

If you went out on one of the major courses I'm not sure they will let you finish. Tanarat is rubbish, and if lucky you may be fairly alone but still, can't see how entertaining it would be anyhow...
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Post by MrPlum »

bonnielass wrote:Why not think about trying the Par 3 course at Black Mountain. A bit less boring than hitting balls on the range.
Even I haven't risked it and I'm a reasonable player! I just know I'm going to lose half my golf balls in the water hazard. :cry:

My first range encounter wasn't so bad. Just managing to hit one ball straight put a big smile on my face. Maybe BM driving range? It's like playing a mini round, you can drive, chip, putt and play bunker shots. Both of you could have a lesson with Juergen, practice (if you have the energy left) using all the clubs in the bag, then sit afterwards in the restaurant, with a cold one and watch the golfers bunker-hopping on the 18th.

Whatever course you play, if it is hot in November and she's not used to the heat, she may be wilting after 6 holes. :idea:
SHROPSHIRE LAD
Novice
Novice

Post by SHROPSHIRE LAD »

Thanks for the replies.
The sensible approach is the driving range first then down to Dolphin Bay if confident enough.

Black Mountain 9 hole, if that is the course on the left hand side as driving up then far too many water hazards and bunkers for beginners. Probably even a challenge for the more confident golfer.

Agree totally that golf should be fun and we will be making the most of any restaurant/bar facilities available.
SunandFun
Guru
Guru

Post by SunandFun »

SHROPSHIRE LAD wrote:Thanks for the replies.
The sensible approach is the driving range first then down to Dolphin Bay if confident enough.

Black Mountain 9 hole, if that is the course on the left hand side as driving up then far too many water hazards and bunkers for beginners. Probably even a challenge for the more confident golfer.

Agree totally that golf should be fun and we will be making the most of any restaurant/bar facilities available.
SHROPSHIRE LAD, Thank you for asking for our input and advice. As an avid golfer and one that encourages others to take up the sport, I am glad you have the right attitude about this. It is smart of you to "guide" her in the right direction so she is not alienated against golf due to frustration. Like you said, have fun. I am sure her idea about golf was probably due more to your interest in golf than hers and she just wanted to "bond" and spend quality time together doing something you enjoy. Have fun while she is here. Happy Golfing! :cheers:
I wouldn't have to manage my anger if people could learn to mange their stupidity!
jingjoe
Guru
Guru

Post by jingjoe »

i also would recommend dolphin bay course,the greens are pretty ordinary,but the fairways are good enough for a hacker,I haven't played there yet but had a quick look at it a few weeks back,a local told me its 30bht for a trolley and suggested giving the owners a 100bht donation for upkeep of course
heartofmidlothian
Professional
Professional

Post by heartofmidlothian »

The 9 hole course at Black Mountain is a beautiful, well maintained, little course. In fact, the condition of the tees, greens and fairways is far superior to every course here except Banyan and BM. It certainly isn't a beginner friendly course and requires the ball to be hit high into the greens with spin, which is probably the reason why it is always quiet. Golfers just love to rip the driver. I have never played it because, as a member at Springfield, I could play almost 2 rounds at Springfield, for the same money. But oh how I wish Springfield's greens, tees and fairways were as good as the 9 holer!
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

I would definitley take your sister to see John Withers at Mongkol driving range (if you want a telephone number I can pm it), he will give her some basics which will make it possible for her to play, he has a very laid back manner and talks in very easy language to help his students understand, if you havent played for 15 years you could have a joint lesson - promise it will be well worth it :D
heartofmidlothian
Professional
Professional

Post by heartofmidlothian »

I heard John Wither is teaching at Banyan now. Maybe he teaches at both locations?
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

Correct duff info from me, Banyan is correct!