Birds of Thailand

Discussion on science, nature and technology across the globe.
PeteC

Re: Birds of Thailand

Post by PeteC »

I haven't visited this thread in a long time. Reason is probably that we see few birds anymore. Perhaps they are also eating plastic? :( Honestly, all bird species that used to be here along the Rayong coast when we moved into our house in late 2006, aren't here any longer.The egrets migrate in during the winter months, but year after year their count is lower. My daughter and I actually have been counting them for years on her way to school each morning, and this past winter season instead of seeing 15-18 each morning, we were lucky to see 8-9. The common and crested Mynas have also declined in numbers. Totally forget about any unknown colourful species that we used to see.

All very sad, and regardless of what the officials say and you read in the newspapers, this country is a mess environmentally. If they can't fix their own house for their human population, there is no hope at all for wildlife in the long term.

Those who like birds, record what you see and how many, then see what the numbers are 12 months later. I'm afraid the news won't be good, at least in the coastal areas where we live. :cry: Pete
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

All I can say is that we are inundated with birds nests - dozens in our garden and they do make a mess so I’m forever clearing them out after they have been used.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

We seem to have plenty of the type that make loud calls in the middle of the night. Also a lot of 3am chickens, do they count??
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

migrant wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:17 am We seem to have plenty of the type that make loud calls in the middle of the night. Also a lot of 3am chickens, do they count??
I think you're in a relatively remote area with not much development, and no industry to speak of. Enjoy it while you can! :D My biggest problem is not pollution and industry, but loss of habitat due to all the house, office and highway building going on over the past several years. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I must say, we are fairly central in Hua Hin, yet we have quite a variety of different birds visit. Mind you, we have a big piece of jungle across the road, so I guess we have, in effect, an urban nature reserve.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

PeteC wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:19 am
migrant wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:17 am We seem to have plenty of the type that make loud calls in the middle of the night. Also a lot of 3am chickens, do they count??
I think you're in a relatively remote area with not much development, and no industry to speak of. Enjoy it while you can! :D My biggest problem is not pollution and industry, but loss of habitat due to all the house, office and highway building going on over the past several years. Pete :cheers:
You are correct!! :cheers:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I’ve been trying to get a decent photo of some birds in our garden for the past few days and this is about the best I have managed because as soon as I get close, one or both fly off. What it is is the “mother” bird which is a Minah feeding its “baby” which as you can see is 2-3 times it’s size - same principle as a cuckoo in the UK, where the cuckoo mother deposits her eggs in the nest of another bird and the “donor” mother raises the chick(s). Not 100% sure what the baby bird is but looks like a Nokabud Dadaeng? It’s about the same size as a crow and dark brown in color.

I assume this is a common practice?
8BF59DAC-367C-4739-B711-1253889C6FFB.jpeg
8BF59DAC-367C-4739-B711-1253889C6FFB.jpeg (153.48 KiB) Viewed 1553 times
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Dannie Boy wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:29 pm I’ve been trying to get a decent photo of some birds in our garden for the past few days and this is about the best I have managed because as soon as I get close, one or both fly off. What it is is the “mother” bird which is a Minah feeding its “baby” which as you can see is 2-3 times it’s size - same principle as a cuckoo in the UK, where the cuckoo mother deposits her eggs in the nest of another bird and the “donor” mother raises the chick(s). Not 100% sure what the baby bird is but looks like a Nokabud Dadaeng? It’s about the same size as a crow and dark brown in color.

I assume this is a common practice?8BF59DAC-367C-4739-B711-1253889C6FFB.jpeg
Here’s another image
CE193E75-7DA7-44D4-8042-5EE2477FF58A.jpeg
CE193E75-7DA7-44D4-8042-5EE2477FF58A.jpeg (146.02 KiB) Viewed 1551 times
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I've been in HH for 16 years and we certainly get a lot less birds than we used to. A strange one, but we used to get dozens of sparrows which used to feed off a seed tray. They have vanished completely. My all time favourites are a couple of Hoopoes that come to forage daily. They are beautiful birds. I often play (loud) their call from my sound box. It's funny to see their reaction.
One thing that we've finally got rid of are pigeons which I'm very happy about.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've probably mentioned this before, but isn't nature wonderful.

Across the road from from my house, we have a huge expanse of waste land, which we call the jungle. About once a year it gets completely cleared (we always think they're going to build), but within 6 months it's back just the way it was - an expanse of trees, all 20'+.

Every year, we have a couple of huge birds visit (about 4' head to tail). I love to watch them move around inside the trees. I've asked for ID before, but without photos, will never get a positive ID. This morning I was sat outside looking at the trees, and sure enough, they're back again. However, so far I've only spotted one - I'm looking through the leaves so there may be 2, but only q at a time.

I just think it's fantastic how such big trees come back so fast, and always in time for these birds to visit.

Points 41; Position 18
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

At that size could they be escaped peacocks? A lot of resorts in Thailand have them roaming the grounds. I imagine a few have gotten away over the years. Pete :cheers:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I'm not a twitcher, but definitely not peacocks, unless a variety I've never seen before.

Points 41; Position 18
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

If they're white they could be egrets which roost in trees at night and when they are not foraging. Herons could be on the list as well, but not sure if they tree roost or not. Pete :cheers:

http://www.galleryofbirds.com/Thailand/Herons.htm
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

(about 4' head to tail)
:shock: ! A couple of lost Emus!
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

PeteC wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:51 pm If they're white they could be egrets which roost in trees at night and when they are not foraging. Herons could be on the list as well, but not sure if they tree roost or not. Pete :cheers:

http://www.galleryofbirds.com/Thailand/Herons.htm
I think that both of those are "wading" birds, and will be found around water?

http://www.thaibirding.com/features/com ... ailand.htm
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!