Birds of Thailand

Discussion on science, nature and technology across the globe.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: Birds of Thailand

Post by Nereus »

Hard to tell from the photo, but strickly speaking they may be "Terns". Gulls do not normal go far from shore, and they paddle around like ducks, rather than dive into the water. They also have pointy wing tips, amongst other differences.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

There are sea gulls here, at least in the cooler months. Pete :cheers:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/vdo/travel/1 ... ove-affair
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: RE: Re: Birds of Thailand

Post by hhinner »

Frank Hovis wrote:
hhinner wrote:I think this is a tailorbird. Does anyone know for sure? And if so,what kind? If not then what? I thought Prinia at first, but tailorbird seemed closer.
Yes, definitely a Common Tailorbird (Orthotomus sutorius).

According to my ... etc.
Frank, thanks for the reply about this. For some reason I never saw it before today. Apologies for not saying thanks before. Cheers.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

We have birds on the wires outside our home that amongst their tsil feathers have one that looks like a stick. What is this bird?
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Just spotted two of the below at my place in Rayong this morning. Apparently Racket Tailed Drongo species. Have never seen them here before and don't know if their arrival is climate related due to the cool weather, habitat lost/gained here as a lot of jungle around.....or just they've always been here and I haven't seen them. Pete :cheers:
phpgxUnGAPM.jpg
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
aragon
Professional
Professional

Post by aragon »

“He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.” Sir Winston Churchill

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches, it's more like a jar of Jalapenos--what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow......
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Saw this bird up on the electricity wires yesterday morning. Does anyone know what it is? I thought it was a bulbul of some sort, it's the right size, but I couldn't find any bulbul with a banded tail. It's call was a long rising wheeeet. Just spent about 3 hours trying to find it on the intenet.
bird1.jpg
bird1.jpg (168.83 KiB) Viewed 3023 times
bird2.jpg
bird2.jpg (195.63 KiB) Viewed 3023 times
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

I'm no expert, but having a look in my birdy book it looks like a Hodgson's Cuckoo (goodness knows who Mr. Hodgson was ;)). Their call rises in volume and pitch, which sort of matches your description, and they certainly have white bands on their tails. Looks like it could be a juvenile.

VS

Lovely photo, BTW. Whenever I take a photo of a bird it's blurry and could be anything from a sparrow to a hawk.
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Vital Spark wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 1:25 am I'm no expert, but having a look in my birdy book it looks like a Hodgson's Cuckoo (goodness knows who Mr. Hodgson was ;)).
Little known fact, the bird is named after Mr Hodgson's wife
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

@VS - Thanks a lot. While I'm not quite sure that it's a Hodgson's Hawk Cuckoo, I think you've definitely put me on the right track, in that it's a Hawk Cuckoo of some kind. It might even be an immature Hodgson's, as you say, which hasn't yet developed the yellow round the eyes and other adult colouring, and which might also explain why it's only the size of a bulbul.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

^^ It's almost certainly a Plaintive Cuckoo, I think. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plaintive_cuckoo. Thanks for putting me on the right track VS.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Scaly-Breasted Munia, I think (wikipedia), in nesting mode. This taken 2 weeks ago, so eggs should be hatching about now.
DSC04284.jpg
DSC04284.jpg (125.81 KiB) Viewed 2689 times
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

What a lovely photo of a sweet looking bird. I've never seen one of those in Thailand.

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Thank you VS. I'd never seen one either. My wife said she thought it was a strangely coloured sparrow when she saw it (or its mate) among a flock of sparrows feeding in the garden.