Predictions from the first Earth Day, April 22 1970

Discussion on science, nature and technology across the globe.
dozer
Ace
Ace

Re: Predictions from the first Earth Day, April 22 1970

Post by dozer »

sateeb wrote:/\...Yes.....probably due to that pesky natural phenomenon that is known as El Nino.

http://qz.com/147455/el-nino-may-make-2 ... -year-yet/

The trouble with global warming alarmists is that they fail to adequately deal with naturally occurring cycles as El Nino, the Pacific Decadal Oscillation, the Atlantic Multidecadal Oscillation, etc.

The warnings on catastrophic global warming are like the Millennium Bug, a mistake.
Atheists have no need of a god. Our lives are not based on fear or guilt. We are moral because we know it's right.

Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity. R J Hanlon
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I think you'll find that they're all factored in. I notice that the price of renewable energy is dropping all the time which is making 100 dollar a barrel oil look a bit pricey, so I think there is some hope for the future of the planet.
dozer
Ace
Ace

Post by dozer »

U.N.'s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) main argument is based on anthropogenic climate change; they give little credence to the natural phenomenon’s.
As for the cost renewable energy, I have to agree with you, I have quite a few in my moderate risk portfolio that are doing nicely, but really it is fantasy to believe that they can cover even a very small percentage of the world’s energy needs, and again it is “big business” that controls the renewable energy industries.
Atheists have no need of a god. Our lives are not based on fear or guilt. We are moral because we know it's right.

STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I think at the moment renewables account for about 20% of world electricity generation, mainly hydro, which is surely already more than a very small percentage. Doing that five times over doesn't seem to me to be exactly fantasy.
In new capacity, more renewable power generation is being added than fossil fuel.
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

Given that the Earth is millions of years old the "experts" being a few years out could be forgiven!!
dozer
Ace
Ace

Post by dozer »

I looked on my company’s website and the power division, who are not even in the top ten of power EPC companies, installed and commissioned last year more than 5000MW in fossil fuel power plants worldwide, and very respectable 300MW in renewable energy, solar in the US. So I doubt very much that
STEVE G wrote: In new capacity, more renewable power generation is being added than fossil fuel.
The real story is that governments are now seeing that the tide has turned and that pandering to the global warming alarmists has become a political hot potato. They are now downplaying the pro climate change rhetoric and decreasing renewable subsidies, and increasing subsidies into the research and development of ways to monitor and mitigate the effects of fossil fuels in power generation.

STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Personally, I think that people are starting to realise that digging up your planet and burning is not all that clever, as has been said before, the stone age didn't finish because we had run out of stone.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

^ No, the stone age ended at the advent of metal working and that metal working later led to tools that allowed the discovery and retrieval of fossil fuels and the industrial age.... now global warming folks want us to forsake thousands of years of progress and go back to the stone age. :roll:
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Hardly back to the stone age, you don't see any fossil fuels in science fiction movies do you!
Actually at the moment it looks to me like more alarmism is coming from those who can see the writing on the wall for the fossil fuel industries, surely it's obvious that the present way of powering the world is unsustainable.
dozer
Ace
Ace

Post by dozer »

Global warming alarmists always go for the moral high ground and consider themselves to be the only ones who care about future generations and the planet. Most folks now recognize that there are no viable alternatives to fossil fuel and the focus has now shifted to better ways to monitor and mitigate the effects of fossil fuel.

The warnings on catastrophic global warming are like the Millennium Bug, a mistake.