Light bedrooms 'link to obesity'

Discussion on science, nature and technology across the globe.
dozer
Ace
Ace

Light bedrooms 'link to obesity'

Post by dozer »

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-27617615

So now scientists are saying there is a link between women's obesity and light levels in the bedroom, more light causes more obesity……………It’s more likely it’s the light in the fridge door!
Atheists have no need of a god. Our lives are not based on fear or guilt. We are moral because we know it's right.

Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity. R J Hanlon
crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Light bedrooms 'link to obesity'

Post by crazy88 »

Maybe the light in the oven cooking the pies as well? I blame too many tadpoles in the fish pond. Give me a few million quid in taxpayers money and charitable donations and I will spend several years trying to prove it. :roll:

Crazy 88
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

The explanation provided makes sense
One possible explanation is that the light is disrupting the body clock, which stems from our evolutionary past when we were active when it was light in the day and resting when it was dark at night.
As somebody who suffers with some pretty bad sleep problems, installing curtains in my bedroom in addition to the lightweight blinds that were previously there really cut out the amount of light coming in and really helps me sleep at night. I wake up far less frequently, and have much less problems getting back to sleep. Previously, if I was hungry when I woke up in the middle of the night, I'd go and get a snack - as I knew I wouldn't be able to get back to sleep whilst still hungry. With a darker room a) I don't wake up as many times - therefore there are less of these opportunities, and b) I don't have to snack anyway as I can get back to sleep easily enough.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Yep, as another person with lifelong sleep problems, I've learned that I sleep better in a room with total blackout curtains and at a very cool temperature. It hasn't helped me control my weight though... :oops:
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

But the OP does state 'women's obesity'. :D
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18