Super Moon

Discussion on science, nature and technology across the globe.
PeteC

Super Moon

Post by PeteC »

I assume visible here tonight as well. Could be a good photo op if clear. Pete :cheers:

"The full moons of summer this year -- July 12, August 10 and September 9 -- will all be Supermoons, as NASA calls them. The phenomenon happens when the moon becomes full on the same day as its perigee -- the point in the moon's orbit when it's closet to Earth....."

Good photos and story at link:

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/07/10/world ... ryGalPhoto

EDIT" "Tonight" is a confusing word with this article because of date differences. Perhaps we'll see it tomorrow night rather than tonight?
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Super Moon

Post by kendo »

The Super moon here Pete means the lowest tides of this year here in Southampton a few years back a few ships did go aground because the tide coupled with high pressure was well lower than prodiction navigating around the Isle Of Wight.
Their was a rush to get three large container ships in to our port last night and the window is now closed for a couple of days.

Kendo. :cheers:
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

^ Any idea as to the real effect (how much lower in meters) this has on the tides Kendo?

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Yes, last night's moon was spectacular, between cloud cover. I took my new camera with its super light gathering lens out there and took a couple of shots for the fun of it just to test it's capabilities. Not much moon detail, but this was hand held at high zoom on full automatic mode with lens wide open.

I'm sure that I could have gotten more detail in manual mode on a tripod with a longer exposure stopped down a bit or using the built in neutral density filter, but there was so much cloud cover I had to act fast to catch the moon in the openings.

These are totally unedited jpegs except for making them much smaller to be able to upload them to the forum.
DSC00669.JPG
DSC00675.JPG
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

This is what it looked like in Santa Cruz, California last night their time.
phpYlZLkeAM.jpg
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source