Bird assembly

Discussion on science, nature and technology across the globe.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Bird assembly

Post by richard »

It's been puzzling me for years why at dusk the crossroads at the Tessaban are heavily populated with birds on the over head cables. They are chattering away so I assume their all females :duck:

My memory was jogged tonight as I stood on the balcony surveying the onset of another beautiful sunset when the still unspoilt tract of tree laden ground directly beneath me and north of Condo Chain was heavily laden with tweeting birds who suddenly stopped and proceeded to swarm down Petcha going north. I assume they were heading for the crossroads for a cuppa and a chat :)

Anybody any theories?
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Re: Bird assembly

Post by STEVE G »

I do remember that we had a thread on here about it many years ago but not the conclusion of why they were there.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

I thought they were bragging about who and what they pooped on that day.
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

Makes me chuckle when there's 100's of them sat on the Railway Station side of the junction's wires..what's needed is for them all to stack up & roost on the other side of the road...right over the police box.. :naughty:
(then we'd have MiB+W..Men in Brown + white)
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

STEVE G wrote:I do remember that we had a thread on here about it many years ago but not the conclusion of why they were there.
Yes there was and 'Guess' came nearest to an explanation saying they meet up at sundown as there is safety in numbers. Unfortunately the thread descended into a mud slinging match between 'Guess' and 'Skandi'
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
dozer
Ace
Ace

Post by dozer »

I think it could be down to safety in numbers, as birds use song for attracting mates, defending territories or warning against predators.
Atheists have no need of a god. Our lives are not based on fear or guilt. We are moral because we know it's right.

Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity. R J Hanlon
Frank Hovis
Legend
Legend

Post by Frank Hovis »

There is this - if you trust Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_myn ... _behaviour

Why specifically there? I don't know, but they've been congregating there for as long as I can remember, perhaps they've always roosted in that area, even before the power lines.
SunandFun
Guru
Guru

Post by SunandFun »

I would guess that at one time, there were nice large trees at this very spot, and the birds always roosted there. They return even when the trees are gone. It is an internal mechanism similar to the mechanism that has migrating birds fly south for winter and flow the same route. That is my guess.
I wouldn't have to manage my anger if people could learn to mange their stupidity!
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

SunandFun wrote:I would guess that at one time, there were nice large trees at this very spot, and the birds always roosted there. They return even when the trees are gone. It is an internal mechanism similar to the mechanism that has migrating birds fly south for winter and flow the same route. That is my guess.
Yes, that pretty well sums it up. Years ago the same thing used to occur in Silom Rd in Bangkok, but development has forced them out.

http://202.47.224.92/en/news.php?id=255301120006
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Nereus wrote:....... Years ago the same thing used to occur in Silom Rd in Bangkok, but development has forced them out.

http://202.47.224.92/en/news.php?id=255301120006
Yes, they go back a long way. I was around when the Dusit Thani was being built and they were on the wires then. More recently in the 80's I remember thousands of them each evening at the corner of Silom and Rama IV. They used to put on quite a show soaring all around, and attracted a sizable audience. When I arrived back in '93 the numbers had started to dwindle already. I would imagine any antique photos of the 19th century may have them in it as well. Pete
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Thanks guys. I guess that explains it all :cheers:
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

My wife always called it, the Tessaban bird condominium.

No Farang birds need apply, as 100% Thai occupation.

:cheers:
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Maybe you need a bird brain to work in the Tessaban
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

There be some truth in you folk's 'big tree' theory...my Mrs has an old photo of the Petkasem/Chomsin Jtn, & that pic has a big,big tree on the corner.