Stingrays of Mae Nam Khlong

Discussion on science, nature and technology across the globe.
Bamboo Grove

Stingrays of Mae Nam Khlong

Post by Bamboo Grove »

I had never known that stingrays can also live in the rivers. This is a tidal river, though.
Big fish angler Tim Webb visited the Maeklong River for a two day trip accompanied by scientists from the Chulalongkorn University and a Victor a travel journalist.
Fishing on the first day saw baits positioned at various points across the tidal river in readiness for some action from the resident wild stingray population.
http://www.fishsiam.com/thai-stingray-r ... 5-589.html
pharvey

Re: Stingrays of Mae Nam Khlong

Post by pharvey »

^ Something that surprised me also - posted the following a few years back.... I'm still absolutely amazed at the size of the buggers....

"Was interested in catching a program on Discovery where a guy was looking for ''monster fish'' on the Chao Phraya River - he was fishing literally an hour out of Bangkok. The ''monster'' he was after was the Chao Phraya Stingray! :shock:

Number 1, I never realised there was such a thing as a freshwater stingray, let alone growing to this size and in the Chao Phraya River (after which this particular monster was named).

It was quoted that the female could grow to a massive 4.5m x 2.5m and weigh up to 600Kg!! The ''Barb/sting'' can be 20'' long and the venom from the sting is apparently similar to that of the rattlesnake..... so a little unpleasant no doubt if you get jabbed! The sewerage is obviously not the most dangerous thing in the Chao Phraya River....

Dug the following photo up from the net..."

Chaophraya Stingray.jpg
Chaophraya Stingray.jpg (57.83 KiB) Viewed 844 times
:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
BOZ
Professional
Professional

Post by BOZ »

Yes there are freshwater stingrays in SEA(southeast Asia)... They are very impressive and the locals love to eat them!!!! One of my wife's favorite dishes....
Boz

Life is short, live it to the fullest!!!
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

I am a big fan of River Monsters with Jeremy Wade a biologist that searches the river systems of the world for these sometimes elusive creatures.
I remember the Death Ray episode the biggest river fish he has ever caught up on the MeKong River.
Attachments
thumbnail.jpeg
thumbnail.jpeg (15.5 KiB) Viewed 733 times
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Saw some of these at the Bueng Borapet freshwater aquarium, there was this transparent tunnel you could walk through. Bueng Borapet is just short of Nakorn Sawan.
วินเชนท์
sommarlov
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sommarlov »

Omfg! I swimmed in that river for the last time, i tell you that!