SpaceX's Historic Rocket Landing

Discussion on science, nature and technology across the globe.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

SpaceX's Historic Rocket Landing

Post by hhfarang »

"Incredible photos and video from SpaceX’s historic rocket landing"

https://bgr.com/2015/12/22/spacex-rocke ... ng-photos/
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
pharvey

Re: SpaceX's Historic Rocket Landing

Post by pharvey »

Really quite something IMO - was all the news whilst I was travelling yesterday. A new era for space travel - all great stuff in my book!!

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Yes, this slipped under my personal radar, but on reading about it this really is a giant leap for the space industry.
Very interesting.
This is the way
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

"SpaceX’s 'reusable' Falcon 9 rocket won’t fly again, Elon Musk says"

The history-making Falcon 9 first stage will never fly again, Elon Musk said during a press call this evening. "I think we’ll probably keep this one on the ground," he said, "just [because] it’s kind of unique, it’s the first one we’ve brought back."

The plan, Musk said, is to take the booster from Landing Zone 1 to SpaceX's other site at Cape Canaveral, Launch Complex 39A. There, the company will perform a static fire test — where the rocket is held down and the engines are fired at full thrust — on the launchpad to confirm that the rocket's systems are still in good shape. After that, the company will find out whether this particular rocket could fly again. But SpaceX won't try to fly a landed Falcon 9 again until "sometime next year," according to Musk.

Monday's historic launch and landing was a big first step toward making rockets reusable. But it’s only a step, because this booster — which could be reused — won’t be.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Launch complex 39A is the one that was used by Neil Armstrong and crew for the moon landing in 1969, so it's seen a bit of use over the years.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

"Watch SpaceX's Falcon 9 Rocket Land, Tip Over, and Explode"

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/watch-spacex ... 15161.html
brianks
Guru
Guru

Post by brianks »

Yes, even though the last attempt to land the Falcon 9 booster failed I was impressed greatly by the precision of the booster coming down vertical exactly where it was suppose to. Such a monumental feet to land that booster on a moving ocean platform its unbelievable. The mere fact they keep trying will eventually lead to success. If and when they get it, will be a real breakthrough lowering the cost of space travel. Elon keeps thinking outside the box.
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

I love it.

Curious about the economics of bringing hardware up the gravity well and back down though. A bit like "New York, New York" with Frank SInatra? "If You can land it here, you'll land it anywhere" ? Landing and taking off from the Moon next?
One Day I'm gona die. I can live with that.