Cows Once as Big as Elephants May Soon Roam Europe

Discussion on science, nature and technology across the globe.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Cows Once as Big as Elephants May Soon Roam Europe

Post by hhfarang »

"Welcome back the aurochs, or something like it

Standing nearly as tall as an elephant, the aurochs grazed for 250,000 years until its extinction in 1627. But its story may not end there: Scientists say they are close to resurrecting the "supercow," once the largest land mammal in Europe, reports CNN. In search of herbivores to maintain land areas at risk of becoming barren, geneticists began breeding aurochs descendants with similar cattle breeds in 2008 and found they could "produce animals far closer to the aurochs than we would have expected," says Ronald Goderie of the Tauros Project. Fourth-generation beasts have now been introduced in Croatia, Spain, Portugal, the Czech Republic, and Romania, with promising results.

"We see progress not only in looks and behavior but also in de-domestication of the animals," says Goderie, noting one herd has learned to defend itself against wolves. The hope is that they will become part of the ecosystem to maintain land for other animals. But a rep for the International Union for the Conservation of Nature says it's unclear "whether primarily wetland forests like the aurochs used to inhabit still exist, whether it could negatively impact wild or domestic plants or animals, and if it might endanger people." Indeed, a British farmer had to kill some of his aurochs-descended cattle in 2015 because they tried to kill him, per the Independent. That species, however, came from a Nazi breeding program that used Spanish fighting cattle."

http://www.newser.com/story/236611/cows ... cience_syn
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Big Boy

Re: Cows Once as Big as Elephants May Soon Roam Europe

Post by Big Boy »

If they've been breeding super-cows since 2008, why do we only see an artists impression? Where are they hiding these elephant sized cows for 8 years?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Kraka's Dad
Guru
Guru

Post by Kraka's Dad »

One is with my ex father in law !! :rasta:

:cheers:
The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Now that would be a steak!!
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.