What is it?

Discussion on science, nature and technology across the globe.
Big Boy

What is it?

Post by Big Boy »

This rather attractive 28 legged beastie appeared outside of our front door this morning. None of the Thais had ever seen one before, so it was immediately declared highly dangerous :?

Does anybody know what it is please?
20180604-Thing.jpg
20180604-Thing.jpg (48.37 KiB) Viewed 611 times
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Re: What is it?

Post by Big Boy »

My own research states its a house centipede (Scutigera coleoptrata).

Unlike its shorter-legged but much larger tropical cousins, S. coleoptrata can live its entire life inside a building, usually the ground levels of homes. Though they often startle their unwitting housemates with their appearance and surprising speed, they are generally considered harmless to humans. Bites are uncommon, and the forcipules of house centipedes are not strong enough to easily penetrate human skin. Bites are similar to a bee's sting, with its venom causing redness and mild to severe swelling.

Techniques for eliminating centipedes from homes include drying up the areas where they thrive, eliminating large indoor insect populations, sealing cracks in the walls, pouring bleach down shower and sink drains, and seeking the assistance of an exterminator. An alternative is to let them live, allowing them to control pests, e.g., roaches, flies, moths, bed bugs, silverfish, earwigs, etc.

Points 41; Position 18
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

^^ So if you see one in your bed, it's only there for the bed bugs?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

It was cuddled up to our Rottweiler when first spotted, but wasn't biting her, so I think only interested in bugs. Would I get into bed with one, even if I knew it was only there for the bed bugs? Probably not :run:

Points 41; Position 18
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Pouring bleach down the drain of a septic system will kill the enzymes that dissolve the waste and create a backup of waste that eventually will damage your septic system, then you'll be in deep shite.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Wouldn't dream of the bleach solution. I quite like the idea of a little beastie or many little beasties living under the house munching away on the cockroaches etc.

Points 41; Position 18