Thai team to explore North Pole to better protect ecosystem

Discussion on science, nature and technology across the globe.
buksida

Thai team to explore North Pole to better protect ecosystem

Post by buksida »

A THAI TEAM will be the first from Asia to explore the North Pole on a mission to conduct underwater exploration and the impact of microplastics on marine life.

The exploration trip will run from July 24 to August 12. Key researchers for the team are Voranop Viyakarn and Suchana Chavanich, who teach at Chulalaongkorn University’s (CU) Faculty of Science.

“The team comprises 13 members, including PhD candidates and diving experts,” CU vice president Pomthong Malakul Na Ayudhaya said yesterday. The study trip has been organised as an initiative of HRH Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn. The princess has previously visited both the North Pole and the South Pole.

Voranop Viyakarn, who heads the research team, said what happened at the North Pole in the distant past would be an indicator of what could happen to the rest of the world. Although the North Pole is thousands of kilometres away from Thailand, the two places are closely linked from an ecological viewpoint, he said. Vegard Holmelid, the Norwegian Embassy’s charge d’affaires, said: “It is important for Thai people to explore the North Pole because one place affects other places.”

He explained that Norway’s Svalbard is like a “natural lab” and “the place to be” to “measure, create the data, earn more knowledge and find a solution” to environmental problems.

Voranop said researchers around the world closely watched the poles to see the effects of climate change. “It is difficult to measure the effects of climate change at home because of all the ongoing activities,” he said. “ The greenhouse gases are being released to the atmosphere and microplastics are being washed down into the ocean every day.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/ ... l/30350348
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
migrant
Addict
Addict

Re: Thai team to explore North Pole to better protect ecosystem

Post by migrant »

Hope they have good sandals!!
My wife gets cold at 26 degrees, good luck to them!
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

It’s OK they are going in summer!
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
Thailightzone
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Thailightzone »

NOKYAI wrote:It’s OK they are going in summer!
🤣🤣🤣🤣