Thai wife flight discount.

Sub-forum for discussion on air travel, airports, and airlines.
PeteC

Re: Thai wife flight discount.

Post by PeteC »

Steve or others can correct me on this if not accurate any longer. If you look closely at EVA planes you'll see a small American flag on the fuselage. I think it goes back a long way when EVA came to be and Taiwan only allowed China Airlines as the single Taiwan registered carrier. It then got more complicated as many countries started their 'one China' policies. What I believe all this means to the flier is that the EVA fleet has to be maintained and inspected just like any other US air carrier and is under the jurisdiction of the FAA, even though technically they are based in Taiwan. All of this could result in a bit of a safer and relaxed ride. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

kendo wrote:Jaime,
No myth mate, the first time we booked through Westeast i had to scan and email a copy of Linie's passport to them.
Also if a premotion or discount is beneficial to a certain group how can you say it's illegal in the U.K. nobody will complain if they are being offered a discount.
All I can say is you must be special because it doesn't work for us. As to the legality, whether the beneficiaries complain or not is irrelevant - offering a financial advantage based on race is discriminatory under UK law. Like I posted - I don't see this 'service' advertised on their website... I wonder why....!?

Having said that, I wonder if the discount is something that applies specifically to flights with Thai Airways? That wouldn't surprise me. We never fly with Thai anymore because since I've discovered what not only EVA but many other airlines offer for less money I feel that Thai Airways fares are unjustifiable. In fact I think they are second rate.

Admittedly, I find the service on EVA to be a little cold at times but all round, it knocks spots off Thai. EVA and Etihad are my current preferences.
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

All I can say is phone them and ask for A discount based on your mrs being Thai and as stated before you have to travel together for the discount.
In my open post everything posted was fact for the benefit of forum members to get a great deal.
Kendo. :cheers:
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

Just a thought on your comment that it's a financial advantage based on race I would disagree it's based on the fact you are married. :cheers:
Kendo.

Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

kendo wrote:All I can say is phone them and ask for A discount based on your mrs being Thai and as stated before you have to travel together for the discount.
In my open post everything posted was fact for the benefit of forum members to get a great deal.
Kendo. :cheers:
I know that and am not criticising you for it - just giving my actual experience, having heard of the 'Thai wife discount' before, of trying the same thing with the same company without success. When I asked for the discount I was told "that is the discounted price". They didn't ask for any verification of my wife's national status though. I was still happy to pay mind, because like I posted above they are almost always the most competitive.
kendo wrote:Just a thought on your comment that it's a financial advantage based on race I would disagree it's based on the fact you are married. :cheers:
Kendo.
Err..... but the spouse specifically has to be Thai....! So, it is based on race or does it apply to western spouses as well?
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

I can't see how this could fall into a discriminating race issue when two people of two different races are getting offered a deal because they are married.
Maybe you delt with a new member of staff because I have used Westeast at least five times and I always get the discount.
Kendo.

barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

chopsticks wrote: "Lowest fares for travel in September and October seem to be from Jet, Kingfisher (via India)..."

Not quite relevant I suppose but.....
A couple of years ago, I took an internal flight in India with Kingfisher and I was totally impressed by the service, aircraft and everything else.
Would be interesting to know if they provide the same quality service on international long-haul flights.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

kendo wrote:I can't see how this could fall into a discriminating race issue when two people of two different races are getting offered a deal because they are married.
Maybe you delt with a new member of staff because I have used Westeast at least five times and I always get the discount.
Kendo.
It is discrimination Kendo. It discriminates against non-Thais. Put it in reverse and imagine what would happen if a company offered a better deal to white British only married couples?

I've never heard of it either and I think Jaime is right in that it may apply only to Thai airlines. My wife has only flown with Eva or arabic.
Talk is cheap
chopsticks
Guru
Guru

Post by chopsticks »

Thai Airways do offer lower fares or 'discounts' to their own nationals, not too surprising when the same happens with dual-pricing policies at some of the country's tourist attractions.
British Airways please take note :idea: :shock:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I might be wrong these days, but certainly 20 years ago West East Travel were sponsored by the Thai Embassy, and the discount was intended to enable their own nationals to travel to and from Thailand at discounted prices.

I also believe they had a similar deal with the Vietnamese Embassy and also offer discounted re-patriation for their nationals.

Regarding some people not receiving the discount, I think the absolute lowest fares cannot be discounted any further.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

My wife if travelling to Thailand uses Thai airways, she has had several free upgrades, even been pulled out of the queue waiting to book in.
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

Big boy,
You are correct they are sponsored by the Thai embassy so if they offer discounted fairs to Thai citizens as a service to Thai's and they wish to extend this to the spouse of that person then good on them, i dont believe that this is discrimination to non Thai's as if you fit there criteria i.e married to a Thai you can also get the discount whatever your nationality.

Food for thought at the age of 40, if i tried to book myself on a Saga holiday for over 55's and they told me "sorry sir your to young try again in 15 years" could i shout ageism discrimination under U.k law or would it just be a case of nit picking.

When i made my open post the cheapest direct fairs where £650 on price comparison sites so when i managed to get that down to £595 with Westeast i thought i would share my good fortune for the benefit of others on here to maybe get the same sort of deal no myth there! just a heads up.

kendo. :cheers:

lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Not so sure I would agree with that, Kendo.
You said "wish to" in regard to non-Thais and that does smack of discrimination when booked in the UK.
If I booked two flghts back to the UK on British Airways with my Thai wife, why should I possibly get a better price than her?
It just dosn't seem right to me. Everyone's a bum on a seat and you pay your price regardless of nationality or national sponsorship.
Must admit that I would have trouble explaining your Saga holiday scenario though.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

kendo wrote:When i made my open post the cheapest direct fairs where £650 on price comparison sites so when i managed to get that down to £595 with Westeast i thought i would share my good fortune for the benefit of others on here to maybe get the same sort of deal no myth there! just a heads up.
I remember the OP, and I actually checked a couple of my favourite sites (including a net enquiry to WestEast ie without any discount). The same fares were at least £650 with each site that I checked.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

Right or wrong to be honest i dont really care, if i can grab a bargain of a direct flight i am not going to think to much if under our laws its, discrimination under British law.
I think our laws discriminate against my wife as a non E.U national dont get my started on that one! thats a different thread.
If one person on HHAD benefits from my original post than in my opinion it was well worth while posting.

kendo. :cheers: