Kan Air starting new route between Hua Hin and Chiang Mai

Sub-forum for discussion on air travel, airports, and airlines.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Kan Air starting new route between Hua Hin and Chiang Mai

Post by StevePIraq »

I called into the airport yesterday, there are NO flights to CM from HH, the web site is not updated.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Geko
Professional
Professional

Post by Geko »

Very strange as the Chiang Mai airport web site shows a Kan Air flight scheduled to arrive tonight at 9:40 pm from Hua Hin, will be very interested to see if this actually happens. The site say's the information was updated "3 hours ago" (08:37)

https://www.chiangmaiairportonline.com/ ... epartures/
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Just goes to show that Kan air are pretty useless.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

OK guys, I called into the airport this morning (hadn't seen Steve's comment).

I went to the Kan Air desk and asked if the Hua Hin/Chiang Mai route was still operating. The answer was, "Yes, but not at the moment. Flights will be resuming next month."

I asked why there was a break, and he said it was down to aircraft maintenance. I don't know how believable this is (maybe SteveG could comment), but the guy seemed genuine, and was full of apologies. They only have 3 aircraft, so if one aircraft is out of action, something has to suffer.

I took hope out of the fact the desk was still manned. If the flight had been permanently axed, why would they continue to man the desk?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
jokerbokek
Novice
Novice

Post by jokerbokek »

Hopefully my trip on June won't ruin by this airline :roll:
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

there's an article in the Bangkok post this morning saying that kan air has been grounded. I read only the headline so I don't know the rest of the story.
Geko
Professional
Professional

Post by Geko »

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thanks guys, that isn't very different to what they told me at the Kan Air desk yesterday. I think replacing the ATR 72-500 with an Airbus would see the airline lose some of it's charm, but it's reassuring to know that they don't fly faulty aircraft.

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thinking about it. As far as I know, the Airbus would be the first scheduled jet to use Hua Hin (in my 5 years here - at least I've only used propeller aircraft). Maybe it could be the start of something bigger - it's such a shame that we don't have more flights here.

Points 41; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

......................but it's reassuring to know that they don't fly faulty aircraft.
I would be inclined to think that it more to do with "faulty" management, rather than blame the aircraft. It is highly likely that the ATR aircraft is "out of time" on some components or service interval, and probably the same with the Caravan. Both aircraft are highly regarded, and as far as I know there are no ongoing "faults" with either of them.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Thistle
Professional
Professional

Post by Thistle »

The single ATR that Kan-Air operate is also being used on the CNX-U-Tapao route,and therefore possibly after a busy high season they have taken the decision to call a halt for service reasons.The other two smaller planes they operate with are solely for the northern region,short hops.I have flown Kan Air once and found them totally satisfactory,left on time,and arrived on time,and nothing untowards in between. Very similar to Berjaya when they were operating an ATR from HH to Subang[the alternate airport in Kuala Lumpur],excellent service,pity they stopped also.
Thai[lion air] about 3 years ago were going to fly Medan/Hat Yai,and onwards to Hua Hin,they actually flew an Boeing 737 as a test flight into Hua Hin,,,,,,,,,,,,,this was a route which never got off the ground,not surprisingly i believe.
Hopefully Kan-Air will get organised,and a in-expensive,quick journey time will be available again to Chiang Mai.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

The owners of this airline have been making noises for some time about expanding, leasing more aircraft, joint venture with overseas operator, and a couple of other pie in the sky options.

The fact is that they are under capitalised and are trying to operate as the third operator of the leased ATR, which by now probably has expired hours on some expensive components. They also were grounded in 2015 for just on 5 months due to discrepancies with their AOC(operating licence). It is not possible to expect to run a profitable air service when you cannot provide a reliable schedule. It is also probably the reason that they have not been able to expand, or set up a joint venture.

The Cessna Caravan is reported as having a "problem" with its propeller. As far as I am aware there are no supply problems with spare parts for this aircraft, and there is also several daily freight flights into Thailand from overseas that can delivery parts for it at short notice, providing of course that the operator can pay for them.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!