Air Asia are trying it on...

Sub-forum for discussion on air travel, airports, and airlines.
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Air Asia are trying it on...

Post by Vital Spark »

I'm sure you've all read about the incident on an Air Asia flight with some rather disgruntled Chinese tourists, but if you haven't here's a link to the Bangkok Post article: http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... s-taa-crew

The Chinese passengers obviously over-reacted to a minor issue, but I'm beginning to think that Air Asia are being rather naughty with their seat allocations. Let me explain.

Mr.VS and I are booked on an Air Asia flight to Saigon at the end of this week, which we booked two months ago. We've just checked the booking and they've allocated us seats behind each other. Why? We also have the two seats beside each of us filled up by 'unknowns'. A quick check of their available seats and there are loads of unbooked seats where they could have put us side-by-side. I'm a bit of a nervous flyer, and like to grip Mr.VS's arm until it goes white during take-off, landing, and any little bumpy bits in between. Why didn't they put us in seats next to each other?! Of course, we can change seats and it will cost us 140 baht (we both need to change) - I wonder how many people cough up? It's not a lot of money, but it's the principle. We're left with a slight dilemma. Do we pay them extra for seats that they should have allocated us in the first place? Do we hope that some kind soul sitting next to either of us agrees to change seats? Or do I have a hissy fit on the plane, threaten to blow it up, and pour boiling water over an air hostess?

VS :cuss:
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Re: Air Asia are trying it on...

Post by Terry »

Vital Spark wrote:............... Or do I have a hissy fit on the plane, threaten to blow it up, and pour boiling water over an air hostess?............VS :cuss:
That's what I would do :?

Seriously, I've heard many similar stories with these 'no frills' airlines.

Once they've got you - it becomes almost as expensive as a traditional carrier.
pdm3547
Professional
Professional

Post by pdm3547 »

I always wonder why we complain about transparent pricing (and I do the same!)

The budget airlines tell you the basic ticket price, add extra for hold luggage, extra for meals, extra for early boarding, extra for choosing your own seats. You are free to tailor your own experience to your own budget.

Premium airlines on the other hand give you all this for "free", but at an inflated ticket price. Guess what? It's not free.

Pay the £3 and sit next to your wife. Pay a few extra quid and get on the plane first.

Take your own sandwiches though - those babies are way overpriced ;-)
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I booked with them recently, and their website is quite clear saying that if you want a specific seat(s), you have to pay, and they give you the price list for each seat. After reserving seats together, it was still 500 Baht cheaper for a return flight than I could buy a one-way flight with other carriers.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

I hear what you say about wanting specific seats, BB & pdm, but we've flown Air Asia a few times and we've always got seats next to each other. The seats you normally have to pay extra for are the ones near the exit door with extra leg room, and a few others. We're booked on normal seats. I just assumed (I know I shouldn't...) that a couple booking with the same surname would have adjacent seats (as has happened in the past) - especially as the plane is certainly not fully booked. Ho hum, I'll just have to squeeze my hand between the window and Mr.VS's seat and grab him from behind. :shock:

VS
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Vital Spark wrote: Ho hum, I'll just have to squeeze my hand between the window and Mr.VS's seat and grab him from behind. :shock: VS
Or you could sit in front of him and he could... oh well, never mind! :D :laugh:
This is the way
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

DM, you are awful - but I do like you... :tsk:
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

and of course not everybody wants to sit next to their spouse
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

^ Yeah, my wife is taking a completely different flight so that she didn't have to sit with me! :D
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

This probably warrants a new topic, mods please sort as you see fit - but I'm surprised that there has so far been no post about the missing Air Asia flight.
The flight went missing yesterday en route from Indonesia to Singapore. The search for it has now resumed there after a night time break. There have been reports about bad weather on the flights' route, and a last minute change of flight plan.
Over 160 on board what is reported to be one of the worlds safest airlines.
A somber end to a year plagued by missing South East Asian flights.
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

There is a thread, started yesterday.

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=28978
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.