Should I take a taxi to the airport early morning

Sub-forum for discussion on air travel, airports, and airlines.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Taxi to BKK Airport

Post by HHTel »

bsdk1960 wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:28 pm well I don"t have the balls to trust the procedure in swampy to get me through in 1 hour ,have you done it many times ?

:cheers: :cheers:
I've done it a couple of times but my family and visitors have done it every time. If time is short which happened one time because of traffic, they push you through the express route. None of my guests have ever missed a flight.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Should I take a taxi to the airport early morning

Post by oakdale160 »

from this thread, it is obvious that some find the idea of going up the previous day at to be much LESS stressful than going up the morning of the flight while others find it to be more complicated and so MORE stressful. Personally, I favor the day before, I go at noon check in, a BKK ladyfriend visits the hotel and has dinner and 'dessert' with me. Nice to have a choice.
I have to say on my last few outward trips the process of checking in, immigration etc was fast and easy-- only having carry-on bags certainly helps.
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

The op asked two questions
What time should I be booking a taxi for in order to arrive at the airport by then?

Any taxi recommendations or guess on the price?
Couple of answers about the time but none as for the price. People are mainly telling their own preferences. Sorry, I have no answers but there must be somebody who knows the price and can give suggestions for a driver? And yes, he said they need to get to the airport at 9.00 a.m.

Like old Trink used to say: "Any comment would be superfluous." Now if I asked: "What's the best place to have Japanese food in Hua Hin?" Would you answer: "Don't go to eat Japanese, I prefer Korean." Sorry all, just couldn't help it and I can't help the op, either.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

oakdale160 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:36 am from this thread, it is obvious that some find the idea of going up the previous day at to be much LESS stressful than going up the morning of the flight while others find it to be more complicated and so MORE stressful. Personally, I favor the day before, I go at noon check in, a BKK ladyfriend visits the hotel and has dinner and 'dessert' with me. Nice to have a choice.
I have to say on my last few outward trips the process of checking in, immigration etc was fast and easy-- only having carry-on bags certainly helps.
Couldn't agree more for the day before..... RELAX - nice meal, couple of beers, good night's kip, free shuttle. Do you seriously want the panic/worry of an uncertain 3hr drive (or worse), or a certain (free) 10 min drive? Several hotels have been recommended already on this forum. I, my freinds and familly have also stayed and find this the best possible way to go. :thumb:

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Bamboo Grove wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:52 am
there must be somebody who knows the price and can give suggestions for a driver? And yes, he said they need to get to the airport at 9.00 a.m.
The answer has been given numerous times in various threads. If I go by taxi, I always pay 2,200 Baht for a safe reliable driver in a new (under 12 months old) car that I trust.

Problem is, it always starts a bidding war if I say 1600 Baht, you can be sure somebody will have a blacker cat than mine, and will say 1500 Baht. I've seen the price drop to 900 Baht.

At the end of the day, the OP has to find a service that he is happy to risk his family in. The cost, whether it is 900 Baht or 3,500 Baht is pretty superfluous when compared to the cost of the holiday/family's safety. I gave up trying to make suggestions because somebody always knows better on this subject.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Post by centermid7 »

Big Boy wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:52 am
Bamboo Grove wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:52 am
there must be somebody who knows the price and can give suggestions for a driver? And yes, he said they need to get to the airport at 9.00 a.m.
I gave up trying to make suggestions because somebody always knows better on this subject.
Amen brother! Not only this subject but every subject.

Of course we all see things through our own experiences but it always tickles me to see postings that cannot wait tell you have wrong you are, that they know better, that they can get it cheaper, etc. no matter what the subject is.

Cheers!
aragon
Professional
Professional

Post by aragon »

Big Boy wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:52 amAt the end of the day, the OP has to find a service that he is happy to risk his family in. The cost, whether it is 900 Baht or 3,500 Baht is pretty superfluous when compared to the cost of the holiday/family's safety.
Couldn't agree more, we have been using the same taxi service for our visits for the last 9 or 10 years and have been paying Baht 3,000 every time. I'm sure there will be those that will raise their eyebrows at this sum, but the service is 100% reliable, the driver(s) is safe and most importantly the wife trusts them and is happy to use them whenever she has visited on her own.
“He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.” Sir Winston Churchill

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches, it's more like a jar of Jalapenos--what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow......
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Couple of answers about the time but none as for the price. People are mainly telling their own preferences. Sorry, I have no answers but there must be somebody who knows the price and can give suggestions for a driver? And yes, he said they need to get to the airport at 9.00 a.m.
So, the whole OP is ambiguous. He has stated a time which could be anything, when what he has to be concerned about is his flight departure time, which is not mentioned.

He has stated him and his family(assume he is a male), but neglects to say how many bods and what age his family is.

He neglects to state how much luggage he has.

He is a first time poster on here that has not bothered to return since posting. Maybe he should stick to Farcebook!
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Maybe a little harsh Nereus :wink: - he is new to the forum. He did return 3 hours later. We can all be accused of ambiguity from time to time. If this is his first visit, maybe he didn't understand the complexity of what seemed like a very basic question.

There is a substantial time difference, so hopefully he will be back with clarification when he wakes up.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

I would recommend to go up the night before. After trying the 6am taxi ride a few years back and being stuck on the road due to a bad accident that delayed us nearly two hours, I wouldn't want to experience that level of unnecessary stress again.

There are many pleasant, family-orientated hotels in Lat Krabang, near the airport, and if a road is blocked you can easily route around the problem. If that happens on the Hua Hin to Bangkok highway, you're in trouble.
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

I, too, would suggest the night before. Plenty of low cost places to stay that will shuttle you to swampy. Almost missed a plane once due to an accident such as JJB said. It is much more relaxing to go and spend the night, get a good dinner, and relax.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.