Police warn of airport thieves stealing luggage from planes and carousels

Sub-forum for discussion on air travel, airports, and airlines.
buksida

Police warn of airport thieves stealing luggage from planes and carousels

Post by buksida »

Tourist police held a public press conference Wednesday near Suvarnabhumi Airport to warn the public about the dangers and methods used by thieves who steal luggage off of luggage carousels and aircrafts.

Police said the past year has seen almost 300 cases of criminals who fly into Thai airports pretending to be tourists and stealing expensive-looking luggage from airport carousels and airplanes as well as from the Airport Rail Link.

“Of the 300 cases, 120 happened to foreigners. Fewer foreigners have filed police complaints because of tourists’ language barriers and them having to catch their flight home,” Maj. Gen. Prasert Ngeunyuang of the tourist police said.

As for the nationality of the majority of luggage criminals, Prasert said he “cannot mention the country names because it may impact international relations. However, they’re mostly from neighboring countries to the north of Thailand.”

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crim ... ice-warns/
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Re: Police warn of airport thieves stealing luggage from planes and carousels

Post by Vital Spark »

I think there's something to be said about having luggage that doesn't look expensive. Ours have been humped on and off trains, dragged up and down metro steps, and slid on filthy train floors. They're still going strong, but look a tad tatty on the outside. If I were a thief, I'd think they contained nothing more than unwashed clothes (which they usually do) and wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

In most airports you clear immigration and are waiting at the carousel for your luggage. Very often here it is the opposite which does not help if your luggage is stolen. I have never had the luggage on my trolley checked to verify that it is my own and in one case had to take a bag back to London airport after my son took the wrong one when he visited from Thailand so the situation can occur pretty much in any airport worldwide. I don't think the situation is further helped by some airlines restrictive practices on carry on baggage where some heavier expensive items end up in the checked baggage.
Of course the other side to the carry on situation is that it was probably driven by those who abused the system in the past. Ultimately the more weight you carry, the more it will cost in fuel to get you there.
Totally agree with VS comments about tatty bags. A shiny bling suitcase may well be worth more than the luggage it contains and just attracts attention. My trusty old hard shell has been around the world a few times and has the scars to prove it. Easily recognisable but hardly attractive to thieves.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Back in the day, the average suitcase was a battered leather type covered in stickers!!
Only Mr. Bean has one now.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

I am amazed how much I can get in my carry on and a big computer bag. When going to formal meetings can often geta garment bag with my suits in it on too.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

buksida wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:09 pm As for the nationality of the majority of luggage criminals, Prasert said he “cannot mention the country names because it may impact international relations. However, they’re mostly from neighboring countries to the north of Thailand.”
Of course, they wouldn't be from Thailand. Wouldn't want to discourage tourists.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

If they are not Thai, should be easy for the ever-vigilant Thai law enforcement heroes to spot them.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

HHTel wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:50 am Back in the day, the average suitcase was a battered leather type covered in stickers!!
Only Mr. Bean has one now.
Hotels used to give them away, but stopped a good few years ago. My hard case still has a lot of old hotel stickers on but now ripped/peeling and looking tatty. Presumably the tatty appearance that will put off thieves. My expensive goodies are all in my hand luggage and laptop bag anyway, but it's still a bugger to lose your washbag/shoes/electrical adapters etc.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Might be an interesting thread--Things you should always put in your carry -on bag. Thought about this after reading 404s post--electrical adapters and toilet bag are definitely on my list.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

:laugh: They only start to warn people now...as if it's a new problem.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

oakdale160 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:08 pm Might be an interesting thread--Things you should always put in your carry -on bag. Thought about this after reading 404s post--electrical adapters and toilet bag are definitely on my list.
Don't forget a clean pair of underpants :duck:
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

if coming to thai== change of underwear and one extra tee shirt, that could take care of things till your bag arrives 4 days later.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

oakdale160 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:57 pm if coming to thai== change of underwear and one extra tee shirt, that could take care of things till your bag arrives 4 days later.
If you go commando it saves on the packing/washing.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

oakdale160 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:08 pm Might be an interesting thread--Things you should always put in your carry -on bag. Thought about this after reading 404s post--electrical adapters and toilet bag are definitely on my list.
It's pretty difficult to take a toilet bag in your carry-on unless you plan on living out of 100ml bottles of all your essentials! :)