Arrival to carousel time at BKK airport?

Sub-forum for discussion on air travel, airports, and airlines.
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Re: Arrival to carousel time at BKK airport?

Post by uncle tom »

I just sit outside, have my cigarette and a few beers. If I have to wait for two hours, well it doesn't bother me.
You must be easily pleased! The waiting area round the bus desk has to be the dreariest part of the whole complex - and they don't make it easy to get back in and find a bar - especially if you're dragging luggage..
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly...
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

No need for a bar. There's a convenience shop just outside.
Maybe the difference between us is that I live here. Maybe?
When I get back from wherever, I'm home and immediately not in a rush to do anything. But I would agree that being home is miles better than the smoking area outside of Swampi!!
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I always go into that food court place next to the bus counter but I agree it's not exactly fancy!
Mina
Novice
Novice

How much time do I need from arrival time to catch the VIP bus to Hua Hin?

Post by Mina »

Hi there!
I am arriving at Suvarnabhumi Airport on the 9th of January at 12.35. How much time do I need to get through pass control and get my luggage before catching the bus to Hua Hin? I've read somewhere that there is a lot of que through pass control?

I was thinking about travelling with the "Airport Hua Hin Bus", http://www.airporthuahinbus.com/V2/
Is this the best bus alternative?

I want to book the bus in advance. Do you know if I can change the ticket if I come earlier or if I am delayed?
There is a bus leaving at 13.30 or 15. Which one should I book?

Thank you very much!! :D Looking forward to some time in the sun :D

- Mina
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

How long is a piece of string. At the same time of day, it can take 5 mins or 2 hours to get through immigration. I go through the 'elderly' line on the right as you go through and there it is 10-30 mins. Similar story at carousal anything from bags being there after you leave immigration to an hour wait.
Big Boy

Re: How much time do I need from arrival time to catch the VIP bus to Hua Hin?

Post by Big Boy »

Mina wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:48 pm I was thinking about travelling with the "Airport Hua Hin Bus", http://www.airporthuahinbus.com/V2/
Is this the best bus alternative?

I want to book the bus in advance. Do you know if I can change the ticket if I come earlier or if I am delayed?
I prefer the bus to a taxi every time - much more comfort.

I would book the later bus personally. Yes, they will change your ticket if you're delayed, but it's a busy time of year. The next empty seats could be several buses away. If you don't want to wait, book both buses - not much to lose, and still probably better than a taxi.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Post by uncle tom »

At busier times the buses are fully booked, so there is limited scope for changing tickets at the last moment.

Booking two tickets and abandoning one is certainly an option. A taxi to HH is indulgent, but doesn't break the bank, especially if you're sharing; however if you use an airport taxi it will cost at least 1000 baht more than one that comes out from HH to meet you - ask your hotel or guesthouse to send a driver for you if you want to go that way.

Bear in mind that the bus doesn't go all the way into town - it currently stops near the airport to the north of the town leaving you to get a taxi or baht bus into the centre - which is not very clever..

Baggage handling and immigration at BKK has been very variable over the past few years - hence my original post. I've sometimes sailed through and sometimes been bogged down. Check out whether you qualify for fast track at immigration or if you have an option to buy your way through that channel - the actual fast track queue is not very obvious though - you have to look for it..

If you're waiting at the baggage reclaim, it's tempting to change your remaining home currency at one of the booths in the same hall. At the last count the exchange rate was reasonable (unlike most airport exchanges..) but beware of tellers counting notes at breakneck speed - count them again yourself before leaving the booth..
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly...
alleykat
Professional
Professional

Post by alleykat »

uncle tom wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:27 am
At busier times the buses are fully booked, so there is limited scope for changing tickets at the last moment.

Booking two tickets and abandoning one is certainly an option. A taxi to HH is indulgent, but doesn't break the bank, especially if you're sharing; however if you use an airport taxi it will cost at least 1000 baht more than one that comes out from HH to meet you - ask your hotel or guesthouse to send a driver for you if you want to go that way.

Bear in mind that the bus doesn't go all the way into town - it currently stops near the airport to the north of the town leaving you to get a taxi or baht bus into the centre - which is not very clever..

Baggage handling and immigration at BKK has been very variable over the past few years - hence my original post. I've sometimes sailed through and sometimes been bogged down. Check out whether you qualify for fast track at immigration or if you have an option to buy your way through that channel - the actual fast track queue is not very obvious though - you have to look for it..

If you're waiting at the baggage reclaim, it's tempting to change your remaining home currency at one of the booths in the same hall. At the last count the exchange rate was reasonable (unlike most airport exchanges..) but beware of tellers counting notes at breakneck speed - count them again yourself before leaving the booth..
Last month they had a free shuttle from the bus station to the clock tower.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

The taxi parked outside the bus station only charge 200 Baht, direct to your hotel. No hanging around, and saves having to find a taxi/tuk tuk for the rest of your journey, which will inevitably cost 150 Baht anyway..
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

Tom..I sit opposite the small Family Mart on about level 3 (I think)..still got my trolley with me, got beer /crisps or hot coffee/pastries just across from me, toilets to the right of me, elevator to the left..so here I am..stuck in the middle with..lots of eye-candy passing by non stop :P
(Must be S.Korean ladies because generally the Thais would not wear shorts that short in public)

Enjoy... :naughty:
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

There is a shuttle from the Hua Hin Bus station that will take you to the clock tower as stated, but will also take you to your accommodation as well. A fee may be involved, but no more than 100 baht. I regularly take this shuttle as I live 15 minutes SW of town, I am always the last to be dropped off and I am charged 200 baht. 400/500 baht if I use a taxi instead.

I have learnt of accommodation I never knew existed via these shuttle trips.
Talk is cheap
theprice01
Professional
Professional

Post by theprice01 »

The longest time i waited was 25 minutes for baggage.
Re the Hua-Hin vip bus - i used to use it every time, last time i came i had to waited about 30 minutes after arriving at the counter (pre-booked), after 25 minutes they it was going to be another 20 minutes so i waited...after that they said about 40 minutes so i jumped in a taxi, 2,200 Bahts to Hin Lek Fai.
Now i think i'll hop in a taxi everytime, seems silly to save 2000Bahts when i'v just spent 45000+ on airfare
When nosy expats ask how can i live here without working, i reply, 'well, while you worked hard for 50 years, i worked smart for 5 years' :D
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Post by uncle tom »

Now i think i'll hop in a taxi everytime, seems silly to save 2000Bahts when i'v just spent 45000+ on airfare
Yes.. - 'airport loose wallet syndrome' - I'm as guilty as anyone, and the airports cash in massively..

People will pay prices for food at airports that they would flatly refuse to pay anywhere else - yet you never see anyone open their bag and pull out a stack of home made sandwiches in an airport lounge..
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

uncle tom wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:11 pm you never see anyone open their bag and pull out a stack of home made sandwiches in an airport lounge..
Can you take them past security? I know you can't bring drinks.
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Post by uncle tom »

Can you take them past security? I know you can't bring drinks.
Usually - yes..