Husky Dog needs walking

A place to discuss all things pets, vets and animal care.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Re: Husky Dog needs walking

Post by migrant »

Great!!
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

Had the pleasure of meeting Coco at Barrys place last weekend.
Handsome dog with a very placid nature.

Happy he's got a good home at last

Well done sir.
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

Well done, Barry, for giving a happy home to a lovely dog. There's so much doom and gloom in the news nowadays, it's uplifting to hear something good for a change.

VS :cheers:
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
c aroltimbuctu
Novice
Novice

Post by c aroltimbuctu »

This is such a great outcome. I was only travelling through Hua Hin for a couple of days. I placed the notice on the Forum having stumbled across it and in reality with only small hope and optimism that finding a dog walker might work. I was encouraged when Barry responded within only 30 minutes and took a genuine interest and concern in Coco's situation throughout. I never for one minute considered that this could be such a positive result that Coco has been re homed and found a great place to live. He is now free, but also with the company of people and other dogs. It is inspiring that someone I did not know should take the time and trouble to help out to this extent. And I quote Albert Einstein “If at first the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it.” I didn't know if the advert would work and seemed bit of a stab in the dark at first. But it did. So I would encourage anyone to do something to help and it shows that the Forum can really work. Carol
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

STEVE G wrote:Yes, he's a lucky Husky, no sledges to pull in Issan!
Incidentally, how are they as a breed to keep in Thailand? My partner wanted one but I told her it would cost too much in air conditioning.
Hi STEVE G,

We have had huskies for the last few years and they have adapted very well.
Our dogs are not allowed in the house (and we don't have air-cons anyway).
They have access to shaded areas and people.
They are so sociable, they love to be around people all the time. They have a beautiful temperament and are fantastic with kids.
We try to take them to the beach a couple of times a week to let them splash about in the surf, which they really look forward to.
The only thing we have to be careful about is keeping the gate closed because there's a chicken farm next door and my big white husky prefers his chicken very fresh indeed.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Cheers Barry, I might let her have one if they're good pets, we've got a couple of Thai mutts at the moment for general security and pest control duties but my partner is crazy about having a husky.
No need to worry about the nearest chickens as I think one of the mutts has had most of them by now!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Steve, one lives just down the road from us, and does not seem to suffer the heat more than any other dog.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Big Boy wrote:Steve, one lives just down the road from us, and does not seem to suffer the heat more than any other dog.
Yes, I always thought that the heat would be a problem in Thailand but as you say, you see plenty of them around and they look happy enough.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I bet when the cool winter air hits Khon Kaen this year the household will see a change in him. Pete :cheers:

Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

[quote="prcscct"]I bet when the cool winter air hits Khon Kaen this year the household will see a change in him. Pete :cheers:

Hi Pete,

Thanks for that video link - it is excellent and extremely accurate in my experience.
In the present very hot weather, we give our huskies large bowls of water and put blocks of ice in it - and they love it.

The normal procedure when giving a husky a bowl of water is as follows:
Step 1: Husky looks longingly at the water for about half a minute.
Step 2: Husky puts one front leg in the bowl.
Step 3: Husky puts other front leg in the bowl.
Step 4: Husky imitates doggy paddle with front legs, thereby expelling most of the water.
Step 5: Husky reflects, finds the water ok and thinks - might as well have a drink now.
Step 6: Husky looks at owner with disgusted expression as if wanting to say: hey, where's my f*+?ing drinking water.
Step 7: Repeat from step 1
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

You see? When dogs get out into the countryside they start to act silly! :laugh:
phpCjFVcWAM.jpg
phpCjFVcWAM.jpg (22.24 KiB) Viewed 515 times
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
TingTongJohn
Professional
Professional

Post by TingTongJohn »

O.K maybe its me but what was the original owners thinking having a husky in a climate like Thailand? I think the dog is a beauty but really how pleasant is it for the dog that is a cool weather origins?
One word is not a story but it is the beginning and end of one.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

It's you, TTJ :)

Scroll up a few posts. I know several people with huskies here and they all seem to thrive (the dogs certainly, and most of the people... :laugh: ). I've had two retrievers; they have thick coats, but we never had any heat-related problems with them.

In fact, I've seen many more huskies in my 10 years here than I ever did in the UK or elsewhere.
This is the way
Dan1
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Dan1 »

Great story and end result. Well done to the OP for posting and most of all well done to Barry for this incredible gesture of homing the dog. Gives me a good warm, mushy feeling.
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

Great thread,there's are lesson to be learned here, when faced with a problem - no whining or hand wringing instead search for a good solution. Well done