Husky Dog needs walking

A place to discuss all things pets, vets and animal care.
c aroltimbuctu
Novice
Novice

Husky Dog needs walking

Post by c aroltimbuctu »

A lovely husky dog that is chained up all day in a narrow corridor, plus overnight at the reception desk at a Guest House in Hua Hin desperately needs walking. It is very sad that a lovely dog of this breed should not have the walks it desperately needs. I took the dog out for 7 walks whilst staying in Hua Hin and the dog was so much happier and alert. I am in Hua Hin 22 and 23 April to discuss. Any volunteers?
barrys
Legend
Legend

Re: Husky Dog needs walking

Post by barrys »

As a husky owner, I really sympathise with the poor dog's predicament.
Huskies also need more than just a good walk - they need to be able to run freely on a regular basis.

It's really commendable of you to take such an interest but I have to ask why the owner him/herself does not, cannot or will not take the responsibility of caring for his/her own dog in a proper manner :?
c aroltimbuctu
Novice
Novice

Post by c aroltimbuctu »

Hello, thank you for your quick response. The owner is a Thai, quite young woman, who apparently is also the boss of the guest house I stayed at. The husky, aged only 9 months, was chained up in reception which was bad enough but the day I left it emerged that he was put in this tiny corridor place during the day, and chained at reception at night. The Thai female employee said she just worked there, it belonged to her boss and she just did her job. I took the opportunity of walking Coco whilst there and coming away I felt terrible to see him pushed into this narrow corridor type place. He really did not want to go in, resisting and making crying noises. There was nothing there for him, no people, no stimulation. He belongs to someone so is a difficult and delicate situation. I just thought of the idea of a dog walker for him in some kind of desperation, and not knowing what I could do or what is at all possible for him.
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

Thanks a lot for the clarification - it sounds like a really sad situation for Coco.

Could you tell me the name of the guest house and I'll go and see if there's anything I can do, though I can't do very much on a regular basis as I live 25 km out of town.

If you don't want to publicise the name of the guest house on a public forum and, given that you do not yet have enough posts for sending or receiving private mails, you can email me at barrys (at) loxinfo dot co dot th

I'd also be willing to meet you when you come back to see if we can find a more long-term solution.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

A long time ago I had a neighbor who kept their very nice dog chained up on a small lead all day, often without water and always ignored.

This beautiful dog disappeared one night and is now (allegedly) living the good life with a nice friend of mine.

I'm not advocating anything, just passing on a story
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
c aroltimbuctu
Novice
Novice

Post by c aroltimbuctu »

Regarding Migrants last comment I would love that to happen. Have sent email to Barry's. Grateful for absolutely any help, advice or assistance on this situation. I don't live here, my brother does but am visiting for 5 weeks.
Ralfredo
Professional
Professional

Post by Ralfredo »

migrant wrote:This beautiful dog disappeared one night and is now (allegedly) living the good life with a nice friend of mine.
Ha, Ha. What a great coincidence that the dog happened to run away and found your friends home... :-D :-P
c aroltimbuctu
Novice
Novice

Post by c aroltimbuctu »

Hello to Barry's - I have sent you an email. Are you still interested in meeting up to discuss when I come to Hua Hin? I really feel something needs to be done to help the terrible situation for this poor dog, and whether anyone else on this site is willing to help also please. It is a very sad case to just leave for a husky to endure for the rest of his life.
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

Hi Carol

I got your email and have replied to you.
Coco is a lovely dog - thanks a lot for the pics.

I'm posting one here so the rest of the members can see him.

It's not right for any dog to be chained up all the time like this.
I must say he does look very clean and healthy, though, but a husky does needs a lot of exercise!
Attachments
coco.jpg
coco.jpg (34.14 KiB) Viewed 1009 times
c aroltimbuctu
Novice
Novice

Post by c aroltimbuctu »

Hello Barry
Many thanks for your reply and placing photo of Coco on forum. Yes he is clean and healthy which is a real positive. It was terrible to see him pushed into the small corridor type place and no-one at the guest house walking him as they are looking after the place. I just saw him chained up all the time and getting hot. Bowls of ice were put in front of him and he would put his head down in it.
I have sent email to you. I can't thank you enough for your concern and help.
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

Well, there is now some happy news to report on this story.

We went to visit Coco at the guesthouse in Hua Hin and spoke to the staff there.
Coco was well-fed and clean, the problem was that the owners were just too busy to provide him with the exercise he so desperately needs.

I then met Carol on her way back through Hua Hin and we decided the only option was to ask the owners if they wanted to sell their dog.

Carol, who was staying at the guesthouse, broached the subject and the woman said they would be prepared to sell Coco to Carol as they didn’t have the time to look after him properly.
Carol then had to go back to the UK.

So, last Friday I drove to Hua Hun with my adopted daughter, Miu, and we collected Coco.
We then took him to our place in Pak Nam Pran, where he was able to enjoy life in a garden without a leash for the first time.

Within a few days, we were able to get an Isaan passport for him and on Tuesday morning we set off in the car again to take him to the family farm in rural Khon Kaen.

The farm borders on a large lake and Coco is taken there in the morning on the sidecar and can run around and swim to his heart’s content the entire day.

At night he sleeps under the large covered porch in front of the house with 3 other dogs.
Miu takes personal responsibility for him and he has the company of the family’s other dogs, the local kids and all the extended family.
Attachments
V__BB40.jpg
V__BB40.jpg (44.26 KiB) Viewed 828 times
V__F559.jpg
V__F559.jpg (53.28 KiB) Viewed 828 times
V__3459.jpg
V__3459.jpg (56.72 KiB) Viewed 828 times
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

:thumb: Great conclusion. I'm sure he'll be happy there....and free. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

A few more pics of Coco familiarising himself with his new home!
Attachments
phpRFpPvIAM.jpg
phpRFpPvIAM.jpg (40.34 KiB) Viewed 822 times
phpRmtPoqAM.jpg
phpRmtPoqAM.jpg (33.34 KiB) Viewed 822 times
phpyQhguKAM.jpg
phpyQhguKAM.jpg (38.61 KiB) Viewed 822 times
php4aDDSNAM.jpg
php4aDDSNAM.jpg (37.17 KiB) Viewed 822 times
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Well done barrys, a great conclusion to a sad story :D
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Yes, he's a lucky Husky, no sledges to pull in Issan!
Incidentally, how are they as a breed to keep in Thailand? My partner wanted one but I told her it would cost too much in air conditioning.