travelling distans

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
southswede
Rookie
Rookie

travelling distans

Post by southswede »

Hi!
Im going to nong khai from hua hin later this year with minibus, so my question is whats the distans and can I do the trip in one day?
thank`s Southswede
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've just fed it into Google Earth. The answer came up as 816 Kms, with a journey time of 11 hours 41 mins.

A lot of driving for one day.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
southswede
Rookie
Rookie

Post by southswede »

Thanks Big boy
I think I have to make it in 2 days
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

It's about 880 km from Nong Khai to Hua Hin.
I've suggest that you spend one night in Nakhon Ratchasima (Korat) before you continue the next day to Hua Hin.
Korat have a lot of hotels.
I prefer the Dusit Princess Hotel, but you will have no problems to find a decent hotel that will suit you.
I intend to live forever - so far so good.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Here's the Google Earth route, just in case it helps

Points 48; Position 20
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

That's pretty good Big Boy, never thought of using google earth for that!! :thumb: :cheers:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Wow! What a fantastic facility on Google Earth. I requested a route from Hua Hin to Nong Khai. The initial output was the above map with a few stats about time and distance.

After posting the map, I had a further look around. At the bottom of the 'written' list, was a play button (usual arrow head pointing to the right). I pressed the button and was amazed. Google Earth played an animated journey before my eyes.

At major junctions the imagery zoomed right in showing an animated aerial photo sequence through the junction. During the longer mundane parts of the route, it just zooms along a coloured line.

It was a very impressive facility - one of the best I've seen (I admit that I haven't seen many). Well worth a look IMHO.

Points 48; Position 20
bluezephyr
Professional
Professional

Post by bluezephyr »

When i was in Hua Hin i took someone into a net cafe and looked at google street view of Norwich, It one thing to see pictures but a 360 degree view is really good.

I was talking to someone 10+ years ago and he told me of a search engine called Google, They were quite a new thing back then.
Good luck to the billionaires who started it all them years ago :idea:

Big Boy, Ge has a sky function Have you tried it out yet? I hope they keep on improving so eventually we can look at everything 3d. The tour function would be really good then.
Mai ow Khup, Pom Ki Neow :)
johnnyk
Legend
Legend

Post by johnnyk »

Brilliant! Thanks for this, a big help to everybody heading out on the road.
:cheers: :cheers:
Happiness can't buy money
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

816 in about 12 is only averaging 60kph. You can really do much better than that HH to Bangkok and the area Korat to Nong Khai, after you finish the twisty stuff through the mountains.

I don't know about the roads Bangkok to where Khao Yai starts, as have only done this trip from Pattaya. About 700+ kms and we did it in 7 1/2 hours door to door in a diesel pick up some years ago, and still had 1/4 tank left. :D

So, if you really just want to get there and forego any sightseeing and long coffee stops, I would think an HH departure at 0600 would put you in there around 1400-1500. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
splitlid
Guru
Guru

Post by splitlid »

Big Boy wrote:Wow! What a fantastic facility on Google Earth.

After posting the map, I had a further look around. At the bottom of the 'written' list, was a play button (usual arrow head pointing to the right). I pressed the button and was amazed. Google Earth played an animated journey before my eyes.

At major junctions the imagery zoomed right in showing an animated aerial photo sequence through the junction. During the longer mundane parts of the route, it just zooms along a coloured line.

It was a very impressive facility - one of the best I've seen (I admit that I haven't seen many). Well worth a look IMHO.

did it take the 11 hrs and 41 mins to watch? :D
"All the otters don't understand me"
"We might make you bother"
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

travellin distans

Post by margaretcarnes »

Earlier this year I was spittin' bricks with Google Earth for their intrusion into our backyards. Literally. Google vans were down every street doing the new 'street level' stuff, and many Brits were up in arms about the intrusion into privacy.
The van arrived in my small soi while I was out. Did it's stuff in a few minutes, and was gone. Only one neighbour saw it, and discovered that we couldn't register an official complaint until the new Google footage had been posted onto their site.
We are still waiting, and I was still fuming, until seeing this great map of LOS. Any outfit that can produce detail like this of a country like LOS deserves to be forgiven for poking around in my garage!
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
charlesh
Ace
Ace

Post by charlesh »

Anything that can help you get around Thailand needs a medal!
As for Brits complaining about invasion of privacy - have you seen a typical backyard -Coronation St equivalent?? There has been an eye in the sky for some years!
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

prcscct wrote:816 in about 12 is only averaging 60kph. You can really do much better than that HH to Bangkok and the area Korat to Nong Khai, after you finish the twisty stuff through the mountains.

I don't know about the roads Bangkok to where Khao Yai starts, as have only done this trip from Pattaya. About 700+ kms and we did it in 7 1/2 hours door to door in a diesel pick up some years ago, and still had 1/4 tank left. :D
So, if you really just want to get there and forego any sightseeing and long coffee stops, I would think an HH departure at 0600 would put you in there around 1400-1500. Pete :cheers:
Agree with Pete

Did this trip about 5 years ago to attend a friends wedding. Left HH at 05.00, skirted Bangkok by 09.00. Stopped near Korat for lunch. Made two other 'comfort breaks of about 15 mins each and was in Nong Kai by 18.00

Can be done in a day - a bit tiring but if you take it easy and reduce the stress level it can be a pleasant trip.

Also - roads are a lot better now - so could probably be quicker
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Good posts on time and distance from everyone... I did this trip once in one day and it took between 12 and 13 hours with a few pit stops.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?