The Burma/Myanmar Thread

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
Bamboo Grove

Re: The Burma/Myanmar Thread

Post by Bamboo Grove »

A rising Burmese band?

PeteC

Thailand supplies Myanmar refugees to trafficking ring

Post by PeteC »

Another nail in Thailand's coffin.....make that two nails, at least. :(

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/12/ ... me=topNews

Thai immigration officials said he was being deported to Myanmar. In fact, they sold Ismail, 23, and hundreds of other Rohingya Muslims to human traffickers, who then spirited them into brutal jungle camps.

As thousands of Rohingya flee Myanmar to escape religious persecution, a Reuters investigation in three countries has uncovered a clandestine policy to remove Rohingya refugees from Thailand's immigration detention centers and deliver them to human traffickers waiting at sea......

EDIT: Another source with some photos, plus for some reason this version looks longer than the one referenced above....but I haven't fully compared.

http://news.yahoo.com/special-report-th ... 33021.html
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
charlesh
Ace
Ace

Re: Thailand supplies Myanmar refugees to trafficking ring

Post by charlesh »

Send them back to Bangladesh where they come from. Looks like the French can do it with some of its' gypsies!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

The explosions have started:

http://news.yahoo.com/u-n-calls-urgent- ... 13625.html

U.N., U.S. call for investigations into Thai trafficking of Rohingya........
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Thailand will help with any Rohingya investigation: PM

http://news.yahoo.com/thailand-help-roh ... 58155.html
charlesh
Ace
Ace

Post by charlesh »

saudia arabia have deported apparently 100,000 illegal Ethiopians and they are a member of the UNHCR ha, ha , ha. And now the Yanks want to upset a good friend in Thailand to support a bunch of illegals from Bangladesh and their dodgy alliances in the UN.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

buksida

Post by buksida »

Four islands marked for development in Mergui Archipelago
Four new tourism projects in the largely untouched Mergui Archipelago in Burma’s far south could begin this year, according to an official at the public company behind the plans.

The archipelago has more than 800 islands, covering an area of 10,000 square miles, which are rich in rare wildlife and pristine beaches. It is also home to a small community of so-called sea gypsies, who practice ancient fishing and boat building techniques and live almost entirely cut off from the outside world.

While currently difficult and expensive to visit, the area, also known as the Myeik Archipelago, is tipped to become a major tourist destination as Burma welcomes more foreign sun seekers.

Source: Burma Board
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Once the gates open..... :roll: I hope they do it in a sustainable way and limit tourism like I believe Bhutan, American Samoa. Mauritius and a few other pristine places do. If they do it like other places have been done in this part of the world it will all be overdeveloped and ruined in my grand kid's lifetime I'm afraid. Will greed or conscience win the day? :? Pete :cheers:
buksida

Post by buksida »

Overland trips between Rangoon and Bangkok launched
Travelers will soon be able to make a single-ticket overland journey between Bangkok and Burmese cities.

A Bangkok-based travel agency will launch its first trips on Saturday from the Thai capital to Rangoon as well as Mandalay, Bagan, Pa-an in Karen State, Dawei in Tenasserim Division, and Moulmein and the Golden Rock in Mon State. The agency, Vega Travel, also plans to begin trips departing from Rangoon, Pa-an and Moulmein to Bangkok later in February, with an option to travel onward to the Cambodian city of Siem Reap.

It will be the first travel agency to offer single-ticket overland trips from Burma all the way to Bangkok. Currently, buses from various cities stop in the Thai border town of Mae Sot, and travelers must book separate tickets from there to Bangkok.

More: Burma Board
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
charlesh
Ace
Ace

Post by charlesh »

What about the visa buksida ?
buksida

Post by buksida »

As far as I know the visa on arrival is still a grey area, you cant get them at border crossings and have to get one in Bangkok before you go. The travel agent should be able to arrange them if they're offering trips.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Road to Dawei paved with anguish

From the Tenasserim mountains which form the Thai border to the bright blue Andaman waters of Myanmar’s west coast, a swathe is being cut through communities sitting in the way of progress.

While the Dawei Special Economic Zone (SEZ) is being promoted as a showpiece project of Myanmar's nascent development, villagers living along the 140km route linking it with the border fear their centuries-old cultures are at risk as the SEZ's backers set about relocating them.

Residents accuse the Myanmar government and Italian-Thai Development Public Company Ltd (ITD), the project's main concessionaire, of land grabs, insufficient or unpaid compensation for relocation, a lack of consultation and, perhaps most importantly, the loss of heritage associated with land and communities lost.

The SEZ, jointly funded by Thailand, is to comprise a deep sea port, a large industrial estate and overland transport links to Bangkok, 350km east.

Full Story: Bangkok Post

Rode to Phu Nam Ron border a couple of days ago, the road to Dawei is passable but you need a dirt bike or 4x4. Will post some pics shortly.
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

The Burman: His life and notions

Found this book's pdf version while searching for some other information. Looks very interesting reading as it is written more than hundars ago. Unfortunately, I don't have time to read it now but will definately return to it at some late. I guess in some parts of Burma life must still be lose to what it was in the late 19th century.

http://www.burmalibrary.org/docs09/burm ... ons-op.pdf
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

Bamboo Grove wrote:A rising Burmese band?

Not bad - reminds me of Christie with "Yellow River" from 1970, but catching up fast?
One Day I'm gona die. I can live with that.