Great Restaurant on the way down from Bangkok

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
Big Boy

Re: Great Restaurant on the way down from Bangkok

Post by Big Boy »

Don't forget, Terry's the man with bionic vision now.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

No Nereus not when I pass it at 160 whilst picking my nose - no

But if I keep my eyes open I can see the new style km marker on the central reservation - just happens to be directly opposite the old stone one on the verge. See image below
70km-1.jpg
70km-1.jpg (20.2 KiB) Viewed 1169 times
Google Earth Street View is quite good - but I prefer to use the mincers.......... :wink:

And BB, I could see it BEFORE my bionic implants were done

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Just reading between the lines a bit here, but I think many people do not realise that there are Km markers so obvious on the central reservation barrier. :thumb:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I agree again. Keep the thread going, I'm learning a lot.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
Terry
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Terry »

Having spent many years working on / with SRT on their charming railway, I soon learned that the highways also have been 'surveyed to death'

Not only the km marks on the main highways, and local roads, but you will find every bridge, overpass, underpass, pedestrian bridge etc etc will also have it's relative km or chainage mark on it.

Very useful if you ever break down anywhere (Not that I have done in many years........) when you will in general, never be more than a few hundred metres from a marker - just call your rescuer and give them the info where you are. Handy if you DON'T have GPS and probably more reliable anyway.
Terry
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Terry »

Mrs.T was with me in Bangkok this week.

Left around 6pm (Late) last night, after I got back from work and took a leisurely ride back. Got hungry so stopped at Rim Kuan again just after 7pm

Slowed down at km 69 (easily seen in the dark by a bloody great sign on the central reservation :wink: :wink: ) and pulled in.

Yet again a bloody good feast.
Khao Pad Boo
Fish cakes (6 large ones)
Sweet & Sour fish
Chicken & Cashew nuts
Plate of Veggies
One water & one coke
THB 580

I promise you I have no 'ties' to this place - it's just great food at a great price
AhFarangJa

Post by AhFarangJa »

Terry,
Flew in on Tuesday, missus picked me up in minibus from swampy, and I told her about Rim Kuan,
Great place, happy friendly service, great food, good value. :cheers: That will be our regular stop from now on. :thumb:
However, one small point....I kept saying Rim Kuan, and nobody understood me, but apparently in Thai it is Rim Khuen, translated it means something about the bridge. A good laugh was had at my expense, but hey, used to that!! :duck:
thanks very much for the recommend, and I can definitely concur with you. :cheers: :cheers:
A game of bridge is like sex, if you don't have a good partner you'd better have a good hand.
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Post by Ratsima »

We had a nice lunch there today. Fast service, good price.

The Thai word khuen (เขื่อน) means dam, or levee or embankment. In this case I think the restaurant name means some thing like "aside the embankment".
Terry
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Terry »

Well folks – here’s another road foodie stop
This time it’s not in any way traditional – in fact it is one of the new modern ‘plastic’ experiences that seem to be popping up all over.
At km 25.5 heading South on Rama 11, you will find ‘Porto Chino’ :shock:
Don’t ask me who named it – but – here you will find a small cornucopia of eateries – some good – some bad. I’ll let you be the judge of what is what.

Anyways – there is………
A MacDonalds Drive Through
A Starbucks Drive Through
MK Suki
S&P
Fuji Sushi
One other Sushi place
Boots and guess what?
Watsons
A wine store
A branch of Foodland supermarket
+ many more
So – if you have rushed out of Bangkok without a food fix you can now make up for it on the way home with ease.
Check it out here - http://www.portochino.com/porto_chino/About_Us.html

BTW – let’s not have any argument of 25.5km Mark :wink:

:cheers: :cheers:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

At long last Terry, we've tried the restaurant in the OP driving back from Bangkok earlier this evening. Great shout - good food and inexpensive as you said.

Although I used your GPS co-ordinates, I did find the place using the Km markers, although they looked nothing like the ones you told us about - there seemed to be very few of that style.

Strangely, as soon as we got to the place, Mrs BB said we'd been there in 2003, when our son-in-law introduced us to the place. Neither I, nor my son remembered it. Mrs BB remembered it well, and went straight up to an old lady working behind the scenes and ordered a fishy thing wrapped in banana leaves that she'd had there 11 years ago.

Points 48; Position 18
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Big Boy wrote: Mrs BB remembered it well, and went straight up to an old lady working behind the scenes and ordered a fishy thing wrapped in banana leaves that she'd had there 11 years ago.
Whew, must have been a bit whiffy after all that time...
This is the way
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I think that was attraction. Smellier the better :wink:

Points 48; Position 18
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

Big Boy wrote:At long last Terry, we've tried the restaurant in the OP driving back from Bangkok earlier this evening. Great shout - good food and inexpensive as you said.

Although I used your GPS co-ordinates, I did find the place using the Km markers, although they looked nothing like the ones you told us about - there seemed to be very few of that style.

Strangely, as soon as we got to the place, Mrs BB said we'd been there in 2003, when our son-in-law introduced us to the place. Neither I, nor my son remembered it. Mrs BB remembered it well, and went straight up to an old lady working behind the scenes and ordered a fishy thing wrapped in banana leaves that she'd had there 11 years ago.
Found it easy with the description from the op in december :duck:

see you too the footie in april BB

AhFarangJa

Post by AhFarangJa »

Hi Terry,
I do not know if you are aware yet, but the Rim Kuen Restaurant has gone! Came past three days ago and it has moved, do not know where yet, but there is another one 50 metres or so further on we tried, good food and prices, but again menu all in Thai. :cheers:
A game of bridge is like sex, if you don't have a good partner you'd better have a good hand.
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

AhFarangJa wrote:Hi Terry,
I do not know if you are aware yet, but the Rim Kuen Restaurant has gone! Came past three days ago and it has moved, do not know where yet, but there is another one 50 metres or so further on we tried, good food and prices, but again menu all in Thai. :cheers:
I know its a old post but the restaurant has moved 50 m. down the small soi just before the old location,there is a sign in thai with the EST logo,have been ther a couple of time in the new place that more nice as its a little further away from the road.
The food is still good and cheap and the kitchen close about 21.00