'Closure' of Bangkok and roads from Jan 13

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
joelle
Legend
Legend

to and from the airport

Post by joelle »

Looks like leave plenty of time to come from Airport and go to Airport.There are routes around this but allow extra time

Farmers close Bangkok-South road to demand payment for rice
By Digital Content

Major roads from/to Hua Hin, Samui, Phuket and the whole of Southern Thailand affected

RATCHBURI, Feb 3 – The road linking Bangkok and Thailand’s South was completely blockaded in Wang Manao sub-district today in a strengthened protest by disgruntled farmers who demanded the government’s payment for the rice they have sold.

The farmers from six southwestern provinces of Ratchburi, Kanchanaburi, Prachuap Khiri Khan, Phetchburi, Nakhon Pathom and Samut Songkram wanted the government to pay for the rice they have delivered under the Yingluck Shinawatra government’s rice pledging scheme.

Rama II Road was closed on both sides at kms 83-84 in Wang Manao sub-district of Pak Tho district, disrupting traffic between Bangkok and 14 southern provinces.

Farmers said the road would remain blocked until they received payment from the government.

More farmers and supporters of the anti-government People’s Democratic Reform Committee have joined the rally which was kicked off Saturday. (MCOT online news)
BOZ
Professional
Professional

Re: to and from the airport

Post by BOZ »

This crap is getting old... This is where a "real police force" would step in and stop the disruption of daily life's of others... Hang signs, march if you must... But stop the crazy actions of taking over entire roads and areas because you don't like what happening... Grow up people, life isn't always fair!!! At least they are leaving the actual airport is untouched this time around.... RANT over... Back to my regular pleasant input... :D
:cheers:
Boz

Life is short, live it to the fullest!!!
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: to and from the airport

Post by oakdale160 »

I would go to bkk the day before. Stay in a hotel in the asok area. Then take the airport train from makkason
joyvee
Amateur
Amateur

Re: 'Closure' of Bangkok and roads from Jan 13

Post by joyvee »

Plane looks good if I can work out the booking system. Thanks for all the info. JoyV
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Farmers reopen Phetkasem Road

Blockade remains on Rama II Road

Published: 4 Feb 2014 at 14.27

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews ... ratchaburi
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Hobiecat
Professional
Professional

Re: Rice farmers block route to South

Post by Hobiecat »

Can anyone give me an update if the blockage is still happening around Petchaburi? I have Thai people in BKK saying it's still in place? Curious if this is truly the fact?
Why is it called 'after dark' when it really is 'after light'?
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

Yes, as Nereus has posted above the blockade on Rama II is still in place
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
Hobiecat
Professional
Professional

Thai Farmers to Close all Major Roads Tomorrow

Post by Hobiecat »

Figures just when I need to get to BKK.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/nationa ... 26075.html
Why is it called 'after dark' when it really is 'after light'?
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

Did a Visa-run to Ranong yesterday..never seen Petkasem Rd so quiet traffic-wise.. even this far South... :thumb:
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Farmers threaten protest at Commerce Ministry

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/3 ... rice-rises

The protesting farmers at Wang Manao intersection in Ratchaburi's Pak Tho district have decided to bring the protest to the city after several road blockades seem to have made little impact.

The farmers from all regions will travel by all types of farm truck to the Commerce Ministry today, he said.

He said the road blockade at Wang Manao will remain in place and the farmers will return to their protest base. .................................
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Is there any block that stops access to the airport. That is now my preferred route into bkk bus to swampy then airport train into makkason
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Nereus wrote:The protesting farmers at Wang Manao intersection in Ratchaburi's Pak Tho district have decided to bring the protest to the city after several road blockades seem to have made little impact.

The farmers from all regions will travel by all types of farm truck to the Commerce Ministry today, he said.
They certainly had an impact on us yesterday. I wish you'd posted this an hour or two earlier, as it would have saved me a frustrating few hours of inching a kilometer towards Ratchaburi before finding a U-turn and heading back to HH with my tail between my legs... :banghead:

Is Ratchaburi inaccessible on a daily basis?
This is the way
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Is ratchaburi on the way to the airport?
Gérard
Professional
Professional

Post by Gérard »

AVOIDING WANG MANAO.jpg
dtaai-maai wrote:
Nereus wrote:The protesting farmers at Wang Manao intersection in Ratchaburi's Pak Tho district have decided to bring the protest to the city after several road blockades seem to have made little impact.

They certainly had an impact on us yesterday. I wish you'd posted this an hour or two earlier, as it would have saved me a frustrating few hours of inching a kilometer towards Ratchaburi before finding a U-turn and heading back to HH with my tail between my legs... :banghead:

Is Ratchaburi inaccessible on a daily basis?
Minor roads are quite practicable (see map), and a GPS is very helpful.
nomad_mama
Novice
Novice

Post by nomad_mama »

Hello,
Please excuse my unfamiliarity with the road names. I live in BKK and would like to bring my children to Hua Hin next Monday as they have a week off from school. I have driven there and back on my own more than once, but right now am not remembering the road names, and given the current situation, I am trying to figure out if all the main roads between Hua HIn and BKK are open. I worry that I will not be able to figure out the backroads. I appreciate any updates or information. Thank you.