Photo trip report: Penang and Langkawi, Malaysia

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
buksida

Re: Photo trip report: Penang and Langkawi, Malaysia

Post by buksida »

Frank La Rue wrote: Would like to hear some details about the train ride - comfort and eating, the idea of traveling BKK - S'pore or vice versa for the sake of the ride is lingering in the back of my mind.
I know there is an upmarket train service offering this, but when I checked it out on the net it is omething like 1900 USD per person, a bit pricey.
There was a rudimentary food car offering basics so we gave that a miss since we had our own snacks and wine. Someone came round selling chicken and bits the following morning. The beds on the lower berth were big enough and ok comfort-wise. 18 hours is still a bloody long time to spend on a train though.

More pics of the cable car ...
DSC_0416.jpg
DSC_0418.jpg
DSC_0419.jpg
DSC_0428.jpg
DSC_0429.jpg
DSC_0431.jpg
DSC_0433.jpg
DSC_0437.jpg
DSC_0439.jpg
DSC_0440.jpg
DSC_0443.jpg
DSC_0450.jpg
DSC_0460.jpg
DSC_0466.jpg
DSC_0469.jpg
Our time was nearing an end and we booked the ferry to Satun province in Thailand for the following day. The journey was also uneventful (which is probably a good thing on a ferry), and we were through immigration and customs in no time. They didn’t even check how many bottles we’d brought back – just as well really!

To follow: General observations and comparisons to Thailand
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
buksida

Post by buksida »

We decided to spend a night in Had Yai to break up the return journey but I'll post that in a separate thread as this one is on Malaysia.

General observations and comparisons to Thailand
When reading these (my own observations) bear in mind that we went to two heavily touristic islands which are probably not representative of the rest of Malaysia.

The People
The two islands visited are more Chinese and Indian than Malay so you get that hardened unsmiling business attitude from the Chinese and the pushy sales pitch from the Indians. It can get tiring at times which is why grabbing a bike and heading out into the country is a good escape and a good chance to meet genuinely friendly locals that are not involved in the extracting money from tourists. Everyone speaks a very good level of English and it is mostly the males that work whereas the opposite can be said in Thailand.

The Motoring
Driving in Malaysia is a pleasure and totally different to sharing the roads with the self-obsessed speed freaks in Thailand. Rules of the road are obeyed and it just generally feels safer, drivers dont blindly pull out on you or aggressively flash you out of the way as they do here. Gasoline is half the price at 20 baht per litre but taxis are offensively expensive as are scooter rentals. The public transport system, on Penang anyway, was excellent, they even have free tourist busses around the old town. There were very few police seen and no clandestine road blocks for tea money or fining tourists.

The Prices
It was always considered that Malaysia is more expensive than Thailand but I honestly cannot agree with this any longer. Balanced out costs are around the same, food and eating out prices are very similar, alcohol is double the price (aside from Langkawi where it is a quarter) but petrol is half. Accommodation prices are very similar as is property (comparing Penang to Hua Hin). High priced Malay tourist attractions are also similar considering it costs a foreigner 400 baht to get into a National Park in Thailand. Public transport costs are very similar and taxis are thieving bastards in both countries.

The Environment
Without a doubt Malaysia is cleaner – it doesn’t have the plastic generation throwing trash wherever they be. You don’t even get plastic bags in some stores and have to bring your own. The streets and general environment is a lot cleaner than in Thailand, maybe education or government initiatives are to thank for this. There are also no packs of feral dogs lurking down every street and the infrastructure in general seems to work a little better.

The Tourism
Both islands we visited were very touristy, just as much as Phuket and Samui I would imagine. Dual pricing is rife, as it is in Thailand. We also found that Chinese and Muslim managed hotels were far less service orientated than those in Thailand, it is definitely not the land of smiles. Visas are undeniably easier with 90 days free on arrival and there seemed to be a lot of long-termers, none of which had the visa woes and gripes you get here.

Eating and Drinking
Being a fan of Indian food and curries in general I found the choices in Malaysia better than Thailand. Mrs Buksi however disagreed with that claiming that it was nowhere near spicy enough for her fiery tastes. The local non-touristy Muslim places we ate in were clean, superb tasting, and very reasonably priced (curries and rice for four of us with soft drinks for around 200 baht). Drinking in Penang is horrendously expensive but on Langkawi it was a fraction of that in Thailand (beers in a restaurant at 30 baht) – all depends where you go. Malaysia does have a far greater selection of drinks though unlike Thailand which is monopolized by two brewing families and their chemical laced, hangover inducing lagers.

The Shopping
Convenience stores are all over the place and there are no stupid time restrictions on buying beer despite it being a Muslim country, you can even get a brew during the call to prayer. That said it was annoying to find most shops only open for about 30% of the time, probably due to some religious matter or other. Langkawi is a duty free shopper’s paradise; nothing like this exists in Thailand.

Would I live there?
Yes, but not in the tourist spots obviously, I preferred Lankgawi to Penang as it is more laid back and far cheaper. Being a walking wallet does grate on you after a while and I omitted this rant I wrote while having a bad road day:
Some days when you’re on the road things just get your goat, whether it’s the taxi bandit trying to charge you half a month’s wages to travel a couple of kilometers, or a crowd of ignorant Chinese tourists barging ahead with little regard for anyone else, or an agent adding their own inflated commissions to standard ticket prices because they can, or in this case an officious little prick of a car park attendant trying to charge me to leave my bike parked at the condo we’ve rented. Some days it just feels like the world is just out to dishonestly deprive you from your hard-earned – stop fleecing the uninitiated and get a real job you thieving bastards!
Well that's about it folks, thanks for reading, I'll update the thread with links to the full trip report and galleries, and the videos when I've got them online.
The first one is here: http://www.ontheroadasia.com/georgetown.php
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Great report and photos - thanks.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Another excellent report with great photo's! :thumb:
Talk is cheap
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

buksida wrote:
Some days when you’re on the road things just get your goat, whether it’s the taxi bandit trying to charge you half a month’s wages to travel a couple of kilometers, or a crowd of ignorant Chinese tourists barging ahead with little regard for anyone else, or an agent adding their own inflated commissions to standard ticket prices because they can, or in this case an officious little prick of a car park attendant trying to charge me to leave my bike parked at the condo we’ve rented. Some days it just feels like the world is just out to dishonestly deprive you from your hard-earned – stop fleecing the uninitiated and get a real job you thieving bastards!
Wow how many days have I felt like this whilst travelling... well said.
You'd never fare as a tourist in Egypt Buksida that's for sure. Don't even contemplate it.... :laugh:
GN.

Edit: nice report. The loons are are getting big now, soon be taller than their auld man... :wink:
charlesh
Ace
Ace

Post by charlesh »

When I first visited LOS and Malaysia in the 70's both were on a par. Now Malaysia a good step ahead in all ways except for the post mahathir period where "masuk melayu" was the theme and anything western was to be viewed with suspicion. The last election on Penang saw a changing of the guard and the muslim indians (mamaks) apparently sided with the mahathir camp. Many of the restaurants were boycotted and quite a few have closed. They do serve a bloody good curry and teh tarik though (the ones that are open). The varieties of nosh kill what you get in the LOS IMO.
Thanks for sharing Buksida.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Thanks for the comments, here is the second part of the report/gallery: http://www.ontheroadasia.com/batu-ferringhi.php
buksida

Post by buksida »

Langkawi report and gallery now online: http://www.ontheroadasia.com/langkawi.php

Will post the Had Yai stuff separately.
dozer
Ace
Ace

Post by dozer »

Great trip report and as you say the duty free on Langkawi is great.
I am just back from there, drove down to Satun left the car and driver there,then onto Langkawi and Penang to look at a few apartments with a view to buying.
On the way back loaded up with way over the limit of duty free in Langkawi, then across to Satun and no problem with customs.
All in all a very enjoyable and worth while trip
Atheists have no need of a god. Our lives are not based on fear or guilt. We are moral because we know it's right.

Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity. R J Hanlon