Trip to Phuket/Krabi/Phi Phi

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
Big Boy

Trip to Phuket/Krabi/Phi Phi

Post by Big Boy »

Mrs BB said the words last night that I've been hoping to hear for 2 years now. She would like to do a whistle stop tour of Phuket/Krabi/Phi Phi (probably a couple of nights in each). Apart from landing and taking off again at Phuket, these 3 places are totally alien to both of us - never having been South of Bang Saphan.

I don't want to let the grass grow under my feet because normally getting Mrs BB out of our front gate is a major challenge.

I'm not one for going somewhere, and just lazing on a beach. I can do that here. My preference is to get somewhere, do the MAIN touristy bits and move on. Mrs BB will be content going from place to place in the car because she will be able to sleep.

Neither of us drink alcohol, so a wander through any seedy areas will be enough for both of us. We're happy to retire early, and sit in our hotel rooms with a cup of cocoa :wink: . After an evening meal of course.

I need advice on each of the areas (yes, I could look it up on the Internet, but I believe word of mouth more reliable, and you guys have never let us down before). Is 2 nights in each area enough to do what we need to do? Is it too long, or do we need longer? If we need longer, what will we be doing on each of the days?

So, what is there that is a must do in each place (please bear in mind my wife is Thai and can't walk far). Seriously, my wife has a medical condition, which negates prolonged walking.

At Krabi, I believe the thing to do is a boat trip around the islands. How do I book this? My wife is nervous on the water - how can I be sure of booking something safe? Anybody done it, and willing to share the details?

Places to stay? I'm not a fan of the upmarket places - too impersonal for my liking, and reminds me of my working days. Small, cosy and not too expensive is good.

As you can see, I'm totally green on the area, but with a willing companion, I don't want to miss this opportunity. Thanks in advance.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
Jools

Re: Trip to Phuket/Krabi/Phi Phi

Post by Jools »

Had a few nights on Koh Lanta last month and booked a trip around Phi Phi on one of the fast boats. The trip was great for the able bodied people, but would think very difficult for anyone with even slightly impaired mobility.
I did see more upmarket vessels in and around Phi Phi.
HTH

Side note - enjoy todays match in The Dockyard!!! Play Up Pompey BB says- both teams are going nowhere, so probably a boring end of season draw, or maybe a win for one of them by a single goal.
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

Hi BB.
I have only been too Phuket 1 time and thats was more than enough for me and the GF,to many tourist
and Phi Phi I have never been,but looking forward to your report.
Krabi city was realy nice many years ago but not so sure now as things have been developed much
since we were there.
About the boat trip you should be very carefull about how the weather,this time at
the year it can be really a rough ride and you getting wet for sure if you go with the longtale boat.
Maybe they have some bigger boats now because it is a fantastic scenery down there,it is a must go some way or another.
If your into cano there is some good trips down there.
There is a tempel area wich is quite nice were you can walk around in the forest and the monk lives in hillside, but having wasching machine :roll:
I now it was not a big help but ill try think about places and names of things down there if my memory would help me just a little :oops:
Anyway im sure you wil have a great time and as you say better go before wife change her mind.

See you to football later today. Come and say hello, I'm normally oblivious to whats around me.

:cheers: :cheers:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

For me, the highlight would be the island trip. I've been looking and see that there are speedboats as well as the long tail boats.

Of course, there will be a trip report.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

Go for the speedboat for sure, and beware that some of the trips including a lot of snorkling and bathing so if
thats not your game be sure what you are booking.

buksida

Post by buksida »

Avoid Phuket like the plague unless you like gridlocked traffic, quadruple pricing, and Russian road signs. Base yourself in Krabi or Lanta and take boat trips from there.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

Tempels name is Wat Tham Sua and if you have good legs theres a 1272 steps walk up to a sunning view if the weather is clear but remember water,last time I was there you could not byu water on the way up or up there.

Agree about Phuket ,stay away.

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

No problem for me, but is there somewhere for Mrs BB to wait for me at the bottom, and maybe spend some of my money while she's waiting?

Mind you, that's a lot of steps - over 3 times as many as the temple in Prachuab. Prachuab issue a certificate, do they do something similar?

Points 48; Position 18
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

A lot to spend money on,when we were there no certificate but the hard works will benefit with the stunning view. Remember to charge your tlephone or camera :wink:

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Knowing my luck it would be misty :cry:. Always carry a spare camera battery, and phone will be fully charged.

Points 48; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

I did the trip by road 2 or 3 years ago. There is some amazing scenery around Krabi with the limestone karsts right next to the road. It is a fair hike from Hua Hin, so I would recommend allowing an overnight stop along the way. We went after being on Koh Samui, and then came back around the coast road via Ranong, and stopped overnight there.
Nice beach area around Krabi, once you can find it! We stayed in some small bungalows where the Farang owner made the best meat pie I have ever eaten!

Did the boat trip to the Islands from Phuket on my own years ago. It is all well organised with many options, just need to look around what is on offer. Agree with Buksida about Phuket, although the old town part is not so crowded.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Big Boy wrote: So, what is there that is a must do in each place (please bear in mind my wife is Thai and can't walk far). Seriously, my wife has a medical condition, which negates prolonged walking.

At Krabi, I believe the thing to do is a boat trip around the islands. How do I book this? My wife is nervous on the water - how can I be sure of booking something safe? Anybody done it, and willing to share the details?

Places to stay? I'm not a fan of the upmarket places - too impersonal for my liking, and reminds me of my working days. Small, cosy and not too expensive is good.
Numerous shops in Krabi sell tickets to boat tours. They're multiple ones on every street in the tourist district clustered around where some tour boats and longtails leave from the docks on the river. There is next to nothing of interest in Krabi, it's a jumping off point to the islands. Krabi has guesthouses, expensive places and not much in between. We stayed at Lada Residence because all the budget hotels were booked. Nice place.

You'll get wet from spray on a longtail, obviously. I'd never take a speedboat again unless the waves were tiny. They were 2.5 feet when I went. We got hammered hard. The boat could take those seas, the capt. had a schedule, we held on tight - and there wasn't much to hold on to.

Phi Phi has beaches, not much else. I was there before the tsunami and again this year. The commercial district was wiped clean. It's been rebuilt, but now has zero charm. At least the walking is flat.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

That hotel looks good - thank you Homer :thumb:

Points 48; Position 18
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Not really qualified to comment on any since my last visits were 4 years ago but it seems Phuket has gone to the dogs, PiPi is on it's way but Krabi is still ok but no longer the cheap resort it used to be. I'm basing my comments on what I've heard from friends who live in those locations.
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
TingTongJohn
Professional
Professional

Post by TingTongJohn »

Of the three Krabi is my personal choice. Phuket is nuts and Phi Phi is not what it used to be. If you like quiet then continue to Koh Lanta is what I would recommend as it is a hop skip and jump from Krabi and the resorts on the west side are great for sunsets.
One word is not a story but it is the beginning and end of one.