Trip to Phuket/Krabi/Phi Phi

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Trip to Phuket/Krabi/Phi Phi

Post by Dannie Boy »

The largest tourist area on Phuket is Patong and should be avoided, however there are (or used to be) a number of much less touristy areas which hopefully might still be ok for a few days visit.
Roel
Guru
Guru

Post by Roel »

There is next to nothing of interest in Krabi
With the exception of Tiger Cave Temple (Wat Tam Sua), the Emerald Pool (Sa Morakot), and the Hot Springs (Bor Nam Ron). Then there is a governmental fish breeding site with a huge pond with comfortable wooden walkways over the water, you can see many fish under which sharks and sea turtles. Buy some fish food and feed the impressive groupers (weighing hundreds of kilo's, never seen them that big in any aquarium). A basketball would fit in their mouth. Free entrance. Haad Nopparathara is worth a visit. At low tide you can walk to a small nearby island. Also nice (again fish) a complex with many ponds amid tropical rain forest. Been there numerous times as it was a very relaxing experience strolling around for an hour or so. A French lady seems to be involved with it in some way. Entrance fee (was) 20 Baht. Or go to the pier in Ao Manao and take a long tail boat for an afternoon at Railay beach (40 or 60 Baht).

Sorry cannot help with concrete directions. The government thing is somewhere in Ao Namao and the jungle ponds on the way to Klong Muang beach.

This time of the year I would not make a hotel reservation. All have plenty of availability. Just drive around and find one you like. Then send the missus in to negotiate a good walk-in price. Most of the time cheaper as the hotel does not have to pay commission to the booking sites and if they not offer a good price they know you will stay with the neighbours!

At Tiger Cave Temple the first stairs lead to the view point. At the end there are also stairs. They are not too bad and lead you into tropical rain forest with a few caves as well. Surprisingly few tourists go there. Nice and quiet. At the Emerald Pool do not forget to visit the second one by following a wooden walkway. The first pool is a big deep blue one where people swim. The second one is in the forest and is deep green. No swimming there. I do not think there are signs so I only discovered the second pool on my third visit or so. But both enterprises will be a physical challenge I must admit.

Tiger Cave Temple has no entrance fee. Both Emerald Pool and the Hot Springs have as they are both located in National Parks. I managed to get in for Thai price every time at the Hot Springs and every time except once at the Emerald Pool. Give it a try.

I work in Phuket now. Not a place I want to retire. I also would not recommend it to friends for a 3-week holiday but a visit for a couple of days won't hurt. Enough to see. Stay away from Patong. There are many nice small beaches such as Nai Harn, Sing Cape and Layan to name a few. Certainly not crowded this time of year. Stay in a small village like Rawai. Had friends staying there recently (Baan Sabai Phuket Hotel) and they liked the atmosphere there very much. For a visit you will need wheels. If you have to depend on taxi's and tuktuks in Phuket you might as well burn your money; would be more fun.

Been to Phi Phi twice. Both for a few days and both was for business. Also okay for a few days. No roads, no cars, no motorbikes! Hire a long tail boat for the day. In the peak season you have to do this early otherwise all are chartered. Now they are all sitting and waiting for customers all day. Bargains to be had now! Visit Maya Bay very early in the morning or after 4 o'clock in the afternoon when all the day tours are already on their way back to Krabi and Phuket. You can shoot photo's with a handful of long tail boats (picturesque) instead of 200 of them (not picturesque). Have a safe trip.
We are all living in 'the good old days' of the future.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

:shock: Wow, thanks a lot Roel - some good information there.

This is all good stuff guys, keep it coming please - giving me some great ideas, and I'm starting to look forward to it.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Gérard
Professional
Professional

Post by Gérard »

Phang Gna Bay, between Phuket and Krabi, is great and you can make a visit with a boat for a very reasonable price.
I went there 3-4 times with friends in the last years, and was very satisfied with MT Tour :
http://www.travelfish.org/transport/tha ... e_park/all

As for Phuket, went there first time in 1979, wonderful souvenir, only one main road to Phuket city and dirt roads to the beaches...
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

The sewage flowing into the sea in Phuket has generated a somewhat strong editorial. No different than anywhere else, just more people and more s&%t becomes more disturbing and obvious. Phuket is just one place on a long, long list.

"Phuket pollution raises tourism stink" http://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opin ... rism-stink
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Well, what can I say? :idea: I hope to add to the problem soon. :wink:

Points 41; Position 18
Roel
Guru
Guru

Post by Roel »

Can also recommend Amsterdam Resort in Khao Lak (Bang Niang beach). Basic bungalow therefore not expensive. Two minutes from the beach.

The owner is a Dutchman called Kees. He is a wealth of information and very talk active. Knows all the ins and outs of Khao Lak. But he also traveled extensively in the past (I believe he visited all Thai provinces) and seems to recall most of his experiences in detail. Before he moved to Khao Lak he ran the Amsterdam Bar and Usaah Guesthouse in Hua Hin. So he can also tell you what Hua Hin was like 20 years ago from personal experience. And when you are at it he can tell you how he ran for his life during the tsunami and how he rebuild his resort that was completely destroyed.

I will not give the link to his website as I might be accused of promoting a friend's business but you can easily Google him. Would be good to give him a call as he tends to go upcountry to his wife's provinces sometimes during the low season. Do as you seem fit. Have fun.
We are all living in 'the good old days' of the future.
crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Post by crazy88 »

As you are going straight past it I can suggest Khao Sok national park.The scenery, flora and fauna are outstanding. There are a few resorts including one where the bungalows float on rafts. Plenty of guides to take you on treks and sedate boat rides within the park. Thanks for the post BB been racking my brains and searching the web for a few days break and the park just got on my shortlist. Have fun and take plenty of pics. Oh and the organised tours from Phuket are pretty minty. You can do it on your own WAY cheaper without being dragged from pillar to post.

http://www.khaosok.com/

Crazy 88

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thanks crazy88 interesting - at this rate I'm going to have to go for months :D

Points 41; Position 18
buksida

Post by buksida »

Khao Sok is stunning, the lake has been referred to as the Halong Bay of Thailand, you can read my TR and see the photos here: http://www.ontheroadasia.com/khaosok.php
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thanks - this trip is looking better and better.

Points 41; Position 18