Train From Bangkok to HH

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
Big Boy

Re: Train From Bangkok to HH

Post by Big Boy »

I felt safe enough, but the train runs in Thailand. I think its an unwritten law that Thai trains have to be late.

Probably the nicest 2nd class service I've used in Thailand.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Allenby
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Allenby »

Gus wrote:The 1300 hrs train ... has a restaurant car
Thank you, Gus, but I learned a lesson about Thai train restaurant cars on the overnight from BKK to Chiang Mai.
The lesson was: a squat toilet on a Thai train is not a pleasant place to spend half the night.

Can anyone report on service and safety on the BBK to Prachuap segment?

- Al
Allenby
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Allenby »

Big Boy wrote:I felt safe enough, but the train runs in Thailand. I think its an unwritten law that Thai trains have to be late. Probably the nicest 2nd class service I've used in Thailand.
Thank you, again, Big Boy.

Late, okay, This Is Thailand.

- Al
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

I read somewhere that there are sleeper carriages? It would be nice for somewhere to rest my back if the train or track breaks for hours. Is that what's meant by '1st class lower/upper berth with aircon'. If speed isn't of the essence then I guess train is a nice way to travel.

The downside I can imagine having to use a nasty squat toilet at some point, I am no fan and not skilled....

P.S. - now no beer?
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

Well it's 'only' about a 6 hour journey on the night train to Bangkok so maybe you could hold it for that long. If not, then I don't think you need to squat - on the HH-Butterworth train at least, the bathroom area have a squat toilet on one side and a more regular western style one on the other side.

I wouldn't think you'd want to shell out for first class - the second class ticket alone is 600bt, so I dread to think what the first class ticket would cost.

I seem to remember from when I enquired that the train leaves at 2am from Hua Hin, providing it arrives on time.

(edit I've just seen this is for Bkk to Hua Hin and not the other way around. I'm not sure if there are any sleepers that go in that direction or the timings of said trains)