Photographic Road Trip Report to Krabi Area

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
Big Boy

Re: Photographic Road Trip Report to Krabi Area

Post by Big Boy »

After the climb, I was just grateful the young girl had change. I would have happily accepted less just not to have to do the climb again - in fact, mentally, I had already prepared myself for such a scenario when I saw the sign.

In fairness, there was a similar sign at the bottom of the steps, which I only noticed when I went down again.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Correct me if wrong but I think all those structures in the center slim part of the island are post-tsunami as everything was washed away. I guess just about all the buildings there should look new. Pete
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

That is what I thought also. So since my friend's visit 22 years ago, that area has been developed, washed away and developed again. There is still a fair bit of development going on.

Points 41; Position 18
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Great report BB! It's an area I have yet to visit, but will hopefully get down there at some stage.
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

It is really beautiful.

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

14.05.2014 – James Bond Island Tour

Well, what can I say, “If Carlsberg did sightseeing trips, it would be like this one.”

My wife is terrified of going on the water, and I’d already had her on the water three times during this trip. This was a step too far. There was quite a ‘discussion’ about going to James Bond Island. It is something I’d always wanted to see, so I was very assertive. It didn’t go down well at all.

On our first day in the hotel I picked up a leaflet from the Rung Siam Andaman Group. They were offering quite an extensive tour for 1500 Baht per head. This trip included a lot of other things as well. As we walked around Krabi on our first day, I noticed James Bond Island trips being advertised for as little as 1100 Baht. I re-read the leaflet from the hotel, and it included things like food, so I decided to go with the hotel’s trip (if I could persuade my wife).

Well, we sat down for breakfast on day 2, and the ‘discussion’ was still ongoing. Eventually, she said “Up to you.” So without a moment’s hesitation, I reached for my wallet, took out 3000 Baht and handed it to my wife, saying book it now. About 5 minutes later, she came back with our ticket, and 1200 Baht change. We were only charged 900 Baht each, so it was a result, and we’d bought the cheapest trip (that we’d seen) to James Bond Island.

Our minibus arrived 15 minutes late, but we were the penultimate pick up. There would be 13 of us on this trip. The 150Km drive to the pier at Panyee was without incident. In fact, after all of the minibus driver stories I’d heard, this guy was a very good driver. Listening to the other passengers on the bus, everybody had paid a lot more than we had, but I wasn’t going to argue.
Our minibus
Our minibus
DSC05528b.png (434.79 KiB) Viewed 1081 times
Our boat was one of the larger 50 seater varieties, and this made my wife feel a little better, and life vests were provided for everybody. Unlike long tail boat trips that we’d seen over the last few days, we got on the boat via a jetty – I had been a little apprehensive with my leg problems (a minor break out the day before) about wading into the sea to board the boat.
we got on the boat via a jetty
we got on the boat via a jetty
DSC05530b.png (406.3 KiB) Viewed 1081 times
There was no wind, and the sea was flat – perfect. We motored down the river, passing many limestone karsts on the way.
We motored down the river, passing many limestone karsts on the way.
DSC05540b.png (396.27 KiB) Viewed 1081 times
DSC05544b.png (363.87 KiB) Viewed 1081 times
DSC05560b.png (383.25 KiB) Viewed 1081 times
Eventually (after about 30 minutes) we arrived at Khao Phing Kan (James Bond Island). This was probably my biggest disappointment of the day. It’s a lot of years since I last saw the movie, but James Bond did a really good job of destroying Scaramanga’s home/cave etc. The island was so small, you’d be hard pushed to build a garden shed, let alone the means to destroy the world. Still, I suppose that’s the Hollywood illusion for you. In fact I doubt whether Roger Moore or Christopher Lee ever stepped foot on the island. I mustn’t complain, I was there, and it was beautiful all the same – another one off my bucket list. There were a lot of people though. Apart from Khao Tapu (the little nail like island where the weapon to destroy the world pops out of) the most interesting feature was where the island seems to be splitting half.
Khao Phing Kan (James Bond Island)
DSC05564b.png (464.61 KiB) Viewed 1081 times
DSC05566b.png (520.21 KiB) Viewed 1081 times
Khao Tapu (the little nail like island where the weapon to destroy the world pops out of)
Khao Tapu (the little nail like island where the weapon to destroy the world pops out of)
DSC05570b.png (386.85 KiB) Viewed 1081 times
DSC05576b.png (458.92 KiB) Viewed 1081 times
DSC05579b.png (518.52 KiB) Viewed 1081 times
DSC05583b.png (508.67 KiB) Viewed 1081 times
the most interesting feature was where the island seems to be splitting half.
the most interesting feature was where the island seems to be splitting half.
DSC05586b.png (484.71 KiB) Viewed 1081 times
View from Khao Phing Kan (James Bond Island)
View from Khao Phing Kan (James Bond Island)
After our time on the island, it was back on the boat to go to a canoeing centre, where you could canoe through a mangrove forest, and through a cave.
canoeing centre
canoeing centre
DSC05596b.png (442.78 KiB) Viewed 1081 times
canoe through a mangrove forest, and through a cave.
DSC05624b.png (542.89 KiB) Viewed 1081 times
DSC05601b.png (445.58 KiB) Viewed 1081 times
We decided not to risk the canoe, so we stayed on board while the rest got off to get wet. Well, what a good move that was. Our boat driver decided to maneuver his 50 foot long boat everywhere the canoes were going – this guy was brilliant.
Our boat driver decided to maneuver his 50 foot long boat everywhere the canoes were going
Our boat driver decided to maneuver his 50 foot long boat everywhere the canoes were going
DSC05620b.png (525.83 KiB) Viewed 1081 times
DSC05623b.png (489.37 KiB) Viewed 1081 times
Then came his party piece, going through the cave, where many of the canoes were reluctant to go.

Whilst appreciating the driver’s skills, my nervous wife was a bit of a wreck after the cave – I loved it. I actually think we got the best deal by staying on the boat.

After the canoeing, it was off to Koh Panyee for lunch, sightseeing and shopping. Koh Panyee is a fishing village built in the sea on stilts.
Koh Panyee
Koh Panyee
DSC05642b.png (391.05 KiB) Viewed 1081 times
It was made famous recently by this video:

I didn’t realize that this trip would take in the stadium, so it was a fantastic experience to be there.
the stadium
the stadium
DSC05648b.png (426.58 KiB) Viewed 1081 times
Lunch was quite good, about 8 different dishes, in plentiful helpings. I would guess that our table left about 50% of what was served.
Lunch
Lunch
DSC05646b.png (446.4 KiB) Viewed 1081 times
We were then given 30 minutes to explore the village. What awful living conditions, but I guess it’s what you’re used to. It seemed incredible that amongst all of this poverty, they were building a huge mosque. The number of stalls selling tourist tat went on for quite a long way, so my wife was quite happy.
awful living conditions
awful living conditions
DSC05653b.png (516.98 KiB) Viewed 1081 times
awful living conditions
awful living conditions
DSC05660b.png (493.79 KiB) Viewed 1081 times
awful living conditions
awful living conditions
DSC05662b.png (527.67 KiB) Viewed 1081 times
building a huge mosque
building a huge mosque
DSC05657b.png (381.08 KiB) Viewed 1081 times
building a huge mosque
building a huge mosque
DSC05658b.png (417.42 KiB) Viewed 1081 times
tourist tat
tourist tat
DSC05671b.png (444.6 KiB) Viewed 1081 times
It was then back on the boat for the trip back to Panyee Pier. Back at the pier, it was all back on the minibus. We were off to Suwankhuha Temple (monkey cave). Another cave with Buddha images inside. Admission was included, but there is normally an admission fee to get into this temple. Monkeys were everywhere, but not as prevalent as other temples I’ve been to.
Suwankhuha Temple (monkey cave)
Suwankhuha Temple (monkey cave)
DSC05682b.png (525.31 KiB) Viewed 1081 times
Buddha images
Buddha images
DSC05692b.png (393.58 KiB) Viewed 1081 times
Buddha images
Buddha images
DSC05694b.png (413.47 KiB) Viewed 1081 times
Another cave
Another cave
DSC05697b.png (423.27 KiB) Viewed 1081 times
Another cave
Another cave
DSC05708b.png (423.47 KiB) Viewed 1081 times
We then drove to Ton Tai Waterfall, where those who wanted could jump in for a swim. It was nice, but I’ve seen more attractive and larger waterfalls. The water actually looked quite muddy in places. After this, it was the 150Km drive back to Krabi.
Ton Tai Waterfall
Ton Tai Waterfall
DSC05719b.png (514.24 KiB) Viewed 1081 times
those who wanted could jump in for a swim
DSC05720b.png (530.14 KiB) Viewed 1081 times
DSC05724b.png (540.08 KiB) Viewed 1081 times
DSC05730b.png (455.73 KiB) Viewed 1081 times
It was an excellent day out, that I would commend to anybody.

A lazy day tomorrow exploring Krabi itself, so maybe not much to report.

Points 41; Position 18
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I forgot to ask before. You went to Phi Phi Don, the big island. There's a smaller one offshore, I think named Phi Phi Noi. Years ago you used to cruise around that one and saw the bamboo scaffolding and caves where Thai men were crawling all over the place collecting swallow nests for bird nest soup. It was a real circus act with bamboo poles and climbing men everywhere. Did you get over to see that? It very well may be "nested out" by now if they simply didn't conserve the resource. Pete
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

No Pete, it was only a short trip there.

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

15.05.2014 - A Lazy Day Around Ao Nang

We’d done the planned sightseeing, and today was planned as a lazy day before our drive back home tomorrow. We’d originally planned to have a look around Krabi itself, but decided to have a look around the local beaches, including the last of my wife’s shopping in the morning, and move on to Krabi in the afternoon, if we still felt like it.

Our hotel is about a 5 minute walk from Pai Plong and Ao Nang beaches. These beaches, unless I knew differently, are two ends of the same beach. Basically, when you get to the bottom of the hill from our hotel, turn left and you walk along Pai Plong Beach and turn right and you’re walking along Ao Nang Beach. In the middle is an area where long tail speed boat line up to take passengers to other beaches in the area,

I started by walking along Pai Plong Beach. The tide was high, and the main sand was covered. However, some enterprising person had hit on the idea of a bit of raised land along this walk, and had placed some sand on top. So there is somewhere to sunbathe even when the tide is in. There were plenty of bars, restaurants and massage parlours along this stretch of beach road. However, although the road goes the whole way along the beach it is no parking, and there were people enforcing this – even Thais on motorcycles, who are generally exempt from traffic regulations.
Pai Plong Beach.  The tide was high
Pai Plong Beach. The tide was high
DSC05733b.png (432.44 KiB) Viewed 970 times
There were plenty of bars, restaurants and massage parlours along this stretch of beach road.
There were plenty of bars, restaurants and massage parlours along this stretch of beach road.
DSC05735b.JPG (160.22 KiB) Viewed 970 times
some enterprising person had hit on the idea of a bit of raised land along this walk, and had placed some sand on top
some enterprising person had hit on the idea of a bit of raised land along this walk, and had placed some sand on top
DSC05736b.JPG (118.89 KiB) Viewed 970 times
Next came Ao Nang Beach. Basically, because the tide was in, there was no beach. Above the beach was a narrow promenade, which ran the whole length of the beach, and had some well placed seating under tree shade. Across the road, mingled amongst the many bars and restaurants were shops selling tourist tat. My wife had a field day, while I sat under a shady tree watching the long tail speed boats come and go. I was reflecting on how I would have had problems with my leg yesterday if we’d had to catch a similar vessel en-route to James Bond Island. Some people were wading waist deep before they could board these craft.
Ao Nang Beach
Ao Nang Beach
DSC05738b.JPG (112.53 KiB) Viewed 970 times
Ao Nang Beach
Ao Nang Beach
DSC05739b.JPG (123.18 KiB) Viewed 970 times
Shopping finished (yippee!!) we headed for Nopparat Thara Beach. I had identified the beach on a map in the hotel, but actually saw it yesterday while dropping off other passengers on the way home from James Bond Island. I’d spotted a nicely situated coffee shop right on the beach front. It didn’t seem far when looking from the comfort of the minibus.

Well, although only a 10 to 15 minute walk, my wife’s legs were already tired out from her shopping. I was nagged almost all of the way to this beach (which was further than I remembered). The only thing of interest on the walk was a preserved Thai Steam Roller that must have been quite a few years old stood outside a hotel.
a preserved Thai Steam Roller
a preserved Thai Steam Roller
DSC05740b.JPG (158.77 KiB) Viewed 970 times
Eventually, things started to look familiar. We crossed a small bridge, and we found ourselves in an area of beach bars and restaurants. It was a bit of a walk before we got to the coffee shop I’d identified yesterday, but when we got there, it was worth it. A coffee shop on a tropical beach. The breeze coming off the sea was wonderful. However, looking out to sea, it was obvious that the bad weather I’d read about at the start of this holiday was about to hit us (it was no accident that we chose the good weather for our sightseeing days).
We crossed a small bridge
We crossed a small bridge
DSC05742b.JPG (135.46 KiB) Viewed 970 times
Whilst it was delightful sitting there with an almighty downpour taking place, it was obvious that our good fortune weather wise had come to an abrupt end. After a couple of coffees, and no break in the rain, we moved to the restaurant next door for lunch.

After about 2 hours of absolute deluge, the rain eased. The tide had receded a little, so I took the necessary photos. We then waded across the road and took a taxi back to the hotel. This was our second Krabi taxi, and I have to say that I was very pleased again not to have been ripped off. I guess the Phuket taxi mafia hasn’t reached the Krabi area yet.
After about 2 hours of absolute deluge, the rain eased.  The tide had receded a little, so I took the necessary photos.
After about 2 hours of absolute deluge, the rain eased. The tide had receded a little, so I took the necessary photos.
DSC05744b.JPG (104.25 KiB) Viewed 970 times
After about 2 hours of absolute deluge, the rain eased.  The tide had receded a little, so I took the necessary photos.
After about 2 hours of absolute deluge, the rain eased. The tide had receded a little, so I took the necessary photos.
DSC05746b.JPG (128.04 KiB) Viewed 970 times
The rest of the day was spent looking out from the hotel at regular showers. A look around Krabi town will have to wait for another trip. That basically ends this trip – back to Hua Hin tomorrow, with a 7 hour drive to look forward to.

Points 41; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

The only thing of interest on the walk was a preserved Thai Steam Roller that must have been quite a few years old stood outside a hotel.
I have a photo of the "Steam" Roller, if it is the one outside of "Krabi Resort", which is written on the flywheel.
However, as with many things in Thailand, all is not as first appears! The engine part of it, that would have originally been steam, has been replaced with a Japanese "Yanmar" diesel engine!

Big Boy, how do you keep track of all the place names as you go along? Do you keep a notebook or small voice recorder, or write them down on your arm! I have a couple of trips that I would like to post about, but some of the place names have wandered off from my diminishing memory! :thumb:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Nereus wrote:Big Boy, how do you keep track of all the place names as you go along? Do you keep a notebook or small voice recorder, or write them down on your arm! I have a couple of trips that I would like to post about, but some of the place names have wandered off from my diminishing memory! :thumb:
I have a significant problem with peoples faces, but remembering place names comes easily. I guess what my brain has lost with face recognition, it makes up for in other ways. If I forget a name, I simply look at a map. :wink:

Points 41; Position 18
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

Thanks again BB for this contribution. As usual highly informative and entertaining at the same time
One Day I'm gona die. I can live with that.
nornorth
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nornorth »

Krabi beach
I'm a Simple Man :rasta:
I'm a huge fan of lotus seeds snack :guns:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Beach? Is there a beach :D :oops: