Box jellyfish warning in Ko Phangan

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
PeteC

Box jellyfish warning in Ko Phangan

Post by PeteC »

Seems the season is here again. Assume they'll be drifting north in coming months.

"....Tourists visiting Ko Phangan have been warned of box jellyfish after a boy died while swimming at a beach on the resort island in this southern province......"

http://www.bangkokpost.com/most-recent/ ... -jellyfish
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Re: Box jellyfish warning in Ko Phangan

Post by PeteC »

The below have inundated Koh Samet Island over here. Looking up "Moon jellyfish" it's says they don't have the power to sting humans. Perhaps this is the species seen in Hua Hin every year? Pete :cheers:

"A large number of moon jellyfish are floating in Sivika Bay of the Khao Laem Ya-Mu Ko Samet National Park near Samet Island in Rayong. (Photo by Jumphol Nikomruk) Bangkok Post"
1E2A70268342422381D41C3936064D45.jpg
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I remember a number of years ago that people were getting badly stung and even dying off Phuket. Many people said box jellies but the Phuket authorities denied it all for fear of scaring tourists off.
Eventually, some marine biologists came over from Australia and caught a number of the critters in Phuket's waters. The authorities went quiet after that.
Interesting (and scary) to see Cha-Am mentioned. They'll therefore be around HH too. I have seen some nasty results of jellyfish stings before, particularly one elderly lady having her forearm treated. Looked like she'd put it in a meat grinder. I'm not sure whether that was due to a box jelly though as there are other jellyfish out there that can be nasty but not as bad as the box.
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

thanks for the warning, going there Saturday and will be very careful when swimming
let you know what it was like when I get back
jonny_
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jonny_ »

Is it save to swim in the sea in November in Hua Hin, with regards to those jelly fish?
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

It continues. They seem to be treating it as if it will be a long term problem down there.

Deadly jellyfish linger

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/4 ... ish-linger
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

jonny_ wrote:Is it safe to swim in the sea in November in Hua Hin, with regards to those jelly fish?
I don't think jellyfish are on specific schedule. It depends upon water temp, storms etc. You'll have to judge the situation at the time.
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

to reassure who ever wishes to go there, I just got back from a week in wonderful ko phangan and not a single jelly fish in sight and I have been to most of the beaches and snorkeled a lot
according to the divers who live there they haven't seen any either and it is not very clear from what the little boy unfortunately died of