Entering Asian countries

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
Dr Mike
Guru
Guru

Entering Asian countries

Post by Dr Mike »

This is one of those posts that is a waste of time, nothing will change.
It seems that in spite of the fact that many processes have changed, entering a foreign country is almost identical to how it was 200 years ago. All person to Unfriendly person and minimal electronics.
I entered Cambodia yesterday. On gthe pane we were given three pieces of paper--Application for Visa, Entry/departure form and customs form. On arrival we were given another Health (Ebola) form.

ALL 4 asked the same questions--Name, DOB, Sex, Nationality, PP number, Place and date PP issued.
Address in Cam, length of stay.
Then each had a few extra specific questions--What about ONE form, perhaps with NCR paper which works like carbon OR isnt it time for a smart card PP with all this info on it.
buksida

Re: Entering Asian countries

Post by buksida »

Yes, I found that a bit of a fiasco with Cambodia - four separate forms all asking for the same information!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

^ Agree. First comment I made to my colleagues after filling the 4 almost duplicate forms in on my flight to Cambodia was 'most of this information is available on the airline databases'. It could easily be supplemented prior to travel. Am I thinking a bit too far ahead for these third world countries?
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Might sound a bit simplistic, but whilst living in China, there were many instances (not just immigration) where things were seemingly done in "triplicate". When I asked the Long Haired General what was the point in it all, the response was simply "people need jobs..."!!

.... I wonder.

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

Interesting.

Having worked in Hanoi a couple of years ago - for about 20 months and now having done 3 short stints in Ho Ch Minh City, I'm amazed at how simple it is in Vietnam.

OK - I have a multi entry business visa which takes some queuing up for on the first entry, but once obtained it's all very simple and quick.

No forms to fill in on the plane - or anywhere else for that matter and the immigration folk even take the time to place the entry and exit stamps neatly on the passport page - generally with a smile.

Simple and efficient.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

^ Found it the same in Vietnam - a big surprise actually after experiences elsewhere (not limited to Asia).

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.