Hua Hin - Pattaya ferry service news and updates

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
caller
Hero
Hero

Re: Govt plans Pattaya - Hua Hin/Cha-am ferry link

Post by caller »

So the ferry will be in Pranburi, not Hua Hin. Good.

But it's a link from a real estate website with no other details, apart from comp generated pictures and info that the ferry network will include Bang Na in Bkk and Pattaya.
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

OK, it works on my tablet. I'm sorry, but now that I've seen it, despite being relevant about the ferry, it is a real estate link, and as such, not permitted on this forum.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

FGS a ferry Pattaya to Hua Hin will not make a profit unless it can compete with the minibus service - it needs 12 months usage and so will be far too expensive. I have seen this proposal for years and it will never last more than 2 months after the high season and IMO even then!!
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Oh itsa Govt plan. My prediction is thatit will start about the same time as the High speed train on double tracks arrives in HH. My grandchildren are really excited as they might get to see it.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

PET wrote:FGS a ferry Pattaya to Hua Hin will not make a profit unless it can compete with the minibus service - it needs 12 months usage and so will be far too expensive. I have seen this proposal for years and it will never last more than 2 months after the high season and IMO even then!!

I'm not if I can agree with. I really don't see why a ferry would need to compete with the suicide shuttles in terms of price or transit time. Doing the trip on a ferry is a completely different experience so I think most who chose to use the ferry would be willing to pay a bit more and etc.

I for one would not even entertain the idea of going from Hua-Hin to Pattaya in a minibus, but I certainly would go if there was a ferry. A nice relaxing trip with a few cold beers along the way would in itself be quite a pleasant outing. A whole different experience compared to a minibus. I also can't believe I am the one and only expat here who feels that way either, and then there are the Thais as well. If the government could arrange for the ferry to dock in Hua-Hin, I think a lot of the Bangkok crowd would use it as well.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

I think the biggest competition would be from the big-bus service that was recently launched, as opposed to the minibus.
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

The ferry will need to make a profit and that means volume of paying customers. Of course there will be some who regardless of cost will choose the ferry but as I said above it needs to be high volume and from my knowledge of the low season there is not much spending about ! Also I do not see the "Bangkok Crowd" rushing to 'seedy' Pattaya.
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

So, is this only a passenger ferry? I was thinking it would be all year round freight traffic that would make it pay, with any passengers being a bonus.

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

As a government plan and funded by the same, if it does get off the ground then it will run for some time. The government wouldn't want to lose face and will run at a loss regardless.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

PET wrote:Also I do not see the "Bangkok Crowd" rushing to 'seedy' Pattaya.
Can't speak for the "Bangkok crowd", as I don't know what exact group that refers to, bu Pattaya has quite an interest from the middle class. Lots of coffee shops there, apparently. I'd imagine people with little interest (or those who wish to maintain that they have little interest) in the seedy areas simply avoid them, much like anywhere else in Thailand.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

There is a lot to Pattaya and surrounds, one does not have to go to Walking Street and the nearby whore Soi's and beach. We quite enjoy Pattaya but are selective where we go to. I just can't see a ferry ever being competitive unless it is subsidized by government.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

These have been publicised today by the Tourist Authority of Thailand, with the text 'Open soon'. Looks a winner to me.
Ferry1.jpg
ferry2.jpg

Points 48; Position 20
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

could be MANY bored people in Pattaya desperate for something new to do coming to HH this way for a afternoon or over night.

or you could call your friends in Pattaya and a few hours later they are here.

i sort of envision in HH a large group of men every day waiting for the ferry to arrive.
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

Big Boy wrote:These have been publicised today by the Tourist Authority of Thailand, with the text 'Open soon'. Looks a winner to me.
Looks to me like they've plucked the figures out of thin air :shock:

With the times of Pattaya to Pranburi, the passenger ferry is going to average just over 52 knots!!! I think not...
And the car ferry will rattle along at barely 10 knots :banghead: :banghead:

And as far as the car ferry from Bang Pu is concerned, although the distance from Pranburi is about half as much again compared to Pattaya, the journey will only be half as long.....
Last edited by barrys on Wed May 18, 2016 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

They obviously know a short cut :wink: :run:

Points 48; Position 20