Issan Suffering Drought

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Issan Suffering Drought

Post by kendo »

On our recent trip around Issan everywhere you look you will see the rice fields starting to go brown. If this drought up there continues in a few weeks the rice will die and the crops will fail its a massive worry for many rice farmers.

This image is a road in korat that is subsiding because the river next to it is drying up.
Attachments
NewImage_620_413_90.jpg
NewImage_620_413_90.jpg (89.98 KiB) Viewed 942 times
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
caller
Hero
Hero

Re: Issan Suffering Drought

Post by caller »

Certainly water shortages in and around Korat. Water bussed in in some areas and the reservoirs are empty. In Bkk for 4 days next week, but if on return the area where we are is affected, I'm gonna cut and run, because I can!
Talk is cheap
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

My inlaws have told us no rain in the next two weeks, Hua Hin here they come. His rice crop is going brown and unless they get the rain soon its doubtful his crop will grow. He also sells t-shirts and scratches a living out of that. I have told them to get down here and I will rent them a room. We already have found my sister in law a job at a friends restaurant so that's a start.
Expect rice prices to rise later in the year and a lot more Issan people coming to the tourist areas seeking employment.

GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

"dought full"...?

:D
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

[quote="GLCQuantum"]"dought full"...?

:D[/quote

I have the power to edit my posts :wink: And I don't do teaching for a living. :wink:

JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

china stock market frozen. loses 3.2 trillion USD in one month.
russian rouble down
Greece EU/UK shockwaves.

means far less tourists this high season.

Thai new car sales collapse.

85 per cent Thai houshold debt.

AND lower rice exports due to drought? not to mention less food. what is left to do? (don't answer that)

maybe i will have to meet my girlfriends family after all.
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

very sad to see the Thai farmers suffer:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/20 ... -s-economy
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Farmers welcome long-overdue rain

".....Long-awaited rain fell over four drought-struck provinces overnight and during the day Wednesday, reviving withering rice crops but only slightly raising hopes of the upcountry regions coming out of the crisis....."

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... erdue-rain
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Parched paddies strike Thai junta's economic weak spot

Post by hhfarang »

"Parched paddies strike Thai junta's economic weak spot"

https://news.yahoo.com/parched-paddies- ... 00975.html
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
brianks
Guru
Guru

Post by brianks »

Please don't figure out that we have water here in the South of Thailand. We don't have many people down here outside of Pukett and Koh Samui and don't need any more. My well serves my pool and grounds well here. Everything green in south too. Nice also to ravel vacant roads here and uninhabited beaches and coves everywhere. Soldier on guys and gals!
buksida

Post by buksida »

brianks wrote:Everything green in south too. Nice also to ravel vacant roads here and uninhabited beaches and coves everywhere.
Shhhh ... dont tell everyone! :wink:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

brianks wrote:Please don't figure out that we have water here in the South of Thailand. We don't have many people down here outside of Pukett and Koh Samui and don't need any more. My well serves my pool and grounds well here. Everything green in south too. Nice also to ravel vacant roads here and uninhabited beaches and coves everywhere. Soldier on guys and gals!
I'm not surprised everything's green, every time I've headed south, it's been lashing it down. I think some areas down there have double the annual rainfall of the Hua Hin area, that's why they can grow all that rubber and palm oil.