HH to Butterworth by train -- no changing needed?

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
caller
Hero
Hero

Re: HH to Butterworth by train -- no changing needed?

Post by caller »

Frank La Rue wrote:........unless it is Emerson Lake and Palmer having one of their reunion concerts......
I'd go there to see that! 8)
Talk is cheap
charlesh
Ace
Ace

Post by charlesh »

B/w is a hole however just across the way is Penang a jewell! You can create your own concert surrounded by some of the best nosh in SE asia.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

And Penang has a Thai Consulate.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Thinking of having a few nights in Penang, overwhelmed by the selection of hotels. Anyone have any recommendations?

Sent from my GT-I9152 using Tapatalk
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I stayed at one on Chulia street a couple of times a few years ago. It was called "Blue something, maybe Orchid?". Anyway, it was on the east side of the street (LHS) maybe about 300 yds from the top (as you walk down the slight hill). There was a big open courtyard at the front that acted as a restaurant and a drum kit set up as well - that's what first attracted me. There was live music most nights.
The room I got was huge with king sized bed, wardrobe, sofa etc etc. Could have done with a lick of paint but at about 400-500 THB I wasn't complaining. The room had aircon which would have cost another few hundred Baht per day if used but I never did. The size of the room and fan kept it cool enough.
They did decent grub as well.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Think it's here, Blue diamond
http://www.penang-traveltips.com/penang ... review.htm

EDIT
Definitely the place https://www.facebook.com/HotelBlueDiamo ... otosPenang
The Malay guy with the mustache was "Mr Penang" bodybuilding champion for years running quite some ago. A real character. Be careful, he'll drink you dry if you give him half a chance.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Be is where you go to to get to Penang, train to be then ferry to pe penang
johnnyk
Legend
Legend

Post by johnnyk »

buksida wrote:Thinking of having a few nights in Penang, overwhelmed by the selection of hotels. Anyone have any recommendations?

Hop the black bus out to Batu Ferringhi, about 10km from downtown. Lots of good hotels, nice beach and 15-20 min from downtown. Its a welcome respite from congested and HOTdowntown.
Happiness can't buy money
buksida

Post by buksida »

Cheers, plan is a couple of nights in GT, then a couple round the coast at BF. Sleeper tickets were 1,079 baht.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
buksida

Post by buksida »

Is it possible to change USD or Baht to Ringgit at Butterworth station or ferry terminal?

lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

It's been so long ago since I was down there that I don't remember 100% but I'm sure that I've never had any Ringgit on me when arriving at Butterworth so the ferry should take Baht for your journey across to Penang (which costs little) and I'm sure a taxi will as well if you need one on the other side.
A possibility to change money might be at Pedang Besar where the train will stop for a little while as everyone is processed through Imm although you'll probably get a better deal from money changers in Georgetown.
All I can say is that lack of Ringgit on arrival at Butterworth/Georgetown was never a problem.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Just done the journey, a few observations/tips:

Take the lower berth, it is wider and only costs 100 baht more.
The buffet cart is limited so take your own munchies and bevvies.
The train arrives in Hat Yai at about 7am where it connects up with another and the beds are converted to seats.
There are money changers on the train offering close to the market rate (10 baht to the Ringgit).
You get to the border an hour later, off the train, exit Thailand, into Malaysia on the other platform, through customs (they will check your bags), then back on the same train.
The leg from Pedang Basar to Butterworth is a slow, dull 3-4 chilly hours on two carriages of the original train.
The Thai side of the journey is noisy, bumpy and rough, the Malay side has smooth and quiet rails.
Ignore the taxi mafia that want a grand and follow the signs to the ferry, it is 1.6 ringgit (16 baht) and takes about half hour.
Then you have a mele with the taxi scum when you arrive in GT!

There was a 2 hour delay at the border as we didn't have a locomotive for the onward journey.
1488024_1450773655158454_833292871_n.jpg
18 hours later and we're in Georgetown which is nothing like I remember and bears more resemblance to Bangkok on first impressions. Full trip report to follow.
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

LOokin
buksida wrote:Just done the journey, a few observations/tips:

T]

18 hours later and we're in Georgetown which is nothing like I remember and bears more resemblance to Bangkok on first impressions. Full trip report to follow.
Looking forward to the report :)
One Day I'm gona die. I can live with that.
Brit Jim
Professional
Professional

Post by Brit Jim »

Hi Guys & Girls

Does anyone know if you can book these train tickets at Hua Hin Train Station?

Or anywhere on Net ?

Any advice appreciated!

Cheers!
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

buksida wrote:Ignore the taxi mafia that want a grand and follow the signs to the ferry, it is 1.6 ringgit (16 baht) and takes about half hour.
Sometimes the taxi mafia has removed those signs. Once outside the front door of the station, look left across the parking lot. There is be a flight of stairs to an elevated pedestrian way. Goes all the way to the ferry.

Best seats/berths are in the middle of the car. They're somewhat quieter because of less noise from the wheel assemblies. The toilets are nearest seat #1. By the latter part of the trip the urine stench is strong.