Chiang Mai to Hua Hin - The Utaradit Phitsanulok alternative

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Chiang Mai to Hua Hin - The Utaradit Phitsanulok alternative

Post by Gregjam »

I am going to be driving to Hua Hin from Chiang Mai on April 10th and was looking at the alternative to using route 1. Google says an hour slower but judging from the roadworks on the way up and anticipated traffic being close to Songkran I wonder what the reality is. Hopefully going south the traffic should be light. I was surprised at how little there was on the way up on the 4th April.
Has anyone recent experience of that route, roadworks, traffic, general road condition. I travel at around 90 - 100kph max due to the wife in the truck so am not in a hurty, just like to avoid long boring highway stretches but still make reasonable progress.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Re: Chiang Mai to Hua Hin - The Utaradit Phitsanulok alternative

Post by VincentD »

Can only give an insight into part of the way as my wife's Mum's place is halfway up past Nakhorn Sawan on the way to Pitsanulok from Bangkok.

1. You could try the route through Suphan Buri, but you still end up rejoining the highway 1 at Uthai Thani, can't avoid Nakhorn Sawan which is the main choke point.
Note: The Nakhorn Sawan bypass road is still under construction (passed by two weeks ago) but still faster than going through town heading towards Khampaeng Phet. Bits of road still under construction past Nakhorn Sawan.
Unless, of course, you wish to turn off to Pitsanulok, in which case you will have to go through town. I'm not sure if the bypass connects up (which it might).

2. Get off Highway 1 at Bang Pahan and follow 3136 through Lopburi up to Takhli. Turn left there to join up with Highway 1 again.
Or.. past Lopburi and Ban Mi still on 3136, watch out for the junction bridge overpass that will get you on Highway 11 to Pichit/ Pitsanulok

Personal opinion.. I'd just use highway 1 and the Nakhon Sawan bypass. There are a lot more pit stops along the way compared to the alternatives..

Not that I'm driving anywhere this Songkran.
It's going to be mayhem no matter which way you choose.
วินเชนท์
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

To put closure on this thread, I stuck to highway 1 and it was the best plan. Roadworks had been removed, no contra flow sections including the Nakhon Sawan bypass. Did not use the tollway through Bangkok and not sure if it would have been quicker. There was a lot of traffic on the road from Bangkok. Stopped for dinner at Robinsons Petchaburi just before sunset and the last bit was as crazy as expected.
Perhaps next time I will try the alternative route but will make sure I have time to enjoy it.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Did you encounter suicidal maniacs at U-turns Gregjam? I did a short trip to Nakhon Pathom last weekend, and have never seen so many trying to kill themselves.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

Many of the U turns have been closed off which helped but yes, they were definitely the most dangerous places. All too often it is a case of having to stop due to the turning lorries and hoping the idiot coming up behind you at speed realises the significance of your brake and hazard lights. That and the chancers with not a hope of crossing in time. I have got used to them over the years. Only the last bit from Petchaburi was in the dark when the cars and bikes with no rear light added to the fun.